Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 11th Aug 18, 8:09 AM
    • 8,489Posts
    • 2,014Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Currys and Zanussi Wahing machine
    • 11th Aug 18, 8:09 AM
    Currys and Zanussi Wahing machine 11th Aug 18 at 8:09 AM
    5 years ago - we bought a Zanussi washing machine from Currys (I know....!)
    It only cost 230 - we were talked in to taking out a 5 year service warranty with it at an extra 40 (this covered an annual service and replacement cost warranty - not over expensive ??)
    Anyway - it has been 100% reliable but the service has not been good

After 5 years - we have just watched the last service being carried out - the chap ran it on hot wash with a descaler tablet - and then looked for the filter - which is under a flap in the drum - you rotate the drum to the very bottom - open the flap and pull out the filter - he couldn't have done this, because after he had left, we checked the filter and it was totally full of gunk - how did the pump not burn out ?
    The amount of solid gunk was such that I am assuming that it had never been cleaned ...
    Since then - the machine has been emptying much faster !!

Moral - don't trust currys with a service contract !!
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 11th Aug 18, 8:12 AM
    • 33,410 Posts
    • 39,546 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 11th Aug 18, 8:12 AM
    • 11th Aug 18, 8:12 AM
    Moral , don't buy a 5 year warranty

Hot wash with bio once in a while or washing machine cleaner
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 11th Aug 18, 8:18 AM
    • 8,489 Posts
    • 2,014 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 11th Aug 18, 8:18 AM
    • 11th Aug 18, 8:18 AM
    Moral , don't buy a 5 year warranty

Hot wash with bio once in a while or washing machine cleaner
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    Surely 40 for a 5 year replacement warranty is OK though - our last washing machine (Indesit) caused us no end of problems - costing us many visits from a service engineer - the pump went and the door seal - all after 2 years warranty had just run out....
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 11th Aug 18, 8:37 AM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 2,584 Thanks
    coffeehound
    • 11th Aug 18, 8:37 AM
    • 11th Aug 18, 8:37 AM
    You checked the filter for the first time after five years?!!
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 11th Aug 18, 8:46 AM
    • 8,489 Posts
    • 2,014 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 11th Aug 18, 8:46 AM
    • 11th Aug 18, 8:46 AM
    You checked the filter for the first time after five years?!!
    Originally posted by coffeehound

Yes - we assumed that it had been done by the service engineer - annually - it hadn't !
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 11th Aug 18, 8:53 AM
    • 1,174 Posts
    • 671 Thanks
    poppellerant
    • 11th Aug 18, 8:53 AM
    • 11th Aug 18, 8:53 AM
    I'm curious about which model Zanussi you have, if you don't mind me asking?

It is possible that you use a lot of liquid detergent on low temperature washes, so the hot wash cycle performed by the engineer may have caused a lot of the liquid residue in the drum tub to melt and flow down into the filter. This is one reason you shouldn't use only liquid detergents and at least monthly run a 60c+ cycle with a small amount of biological powder.

But really you should be checking the filter yourself. I'd say every few months, but most people only check once they have a problem.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

143Posts Today

1,654Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin