Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jadakiss
    • By Jadakiss 11th Aug 18, 6:44 AM
    • 8Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Jadakiss
    Staircasing & Early Repayment Fee
    • 11th Aug 18, 6:44 AM
    Staircasing & Early Repayment Fee 11th Aug 18 at 6:44 AM
    Hi Forum Folk

Some assistance please, I own 40% of a shared ownership property and have been told I can re-mortgage to anything between 80% - 100%. Unfortunately I am locked into a fixed rate mortgage (ends April 2020), a new mortgage will see me paying an extra 197 a month.
    The rent if I stay with existing mortgage will be 10,000

My questions are:[*]Is it worth paying the exit fee of 3500 or should I just wait it out?[*]if I wait it out until the end of the fixed term, is it likely that the flat price will jump substantially thus me loosing out on a bigger share?

Any other advice welcome.

Thanks
Page 1
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 11th Aug 18, 8:28 AM
    • 982 Posts
    • 1,125 Thanks
    HampshireH
    • 11th Aug 18, 8:28 AM
    • 11th Aug 18, 8:28 AM
    You will need to consider interest rates going up and also valuation of the property.

If both are likely to rise by 2020 (likely) then you need to decide if saving 3500 now out weighs that.

No one can say whether your flat value will rise substabtially. There are too many unknowns such as where is the flat, brexit impact (or non impact), type of market in your area etc

If your going to do it I'd do 100% staircase so not to have to pay out a whole other set of fees later down the line
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 11th Aug 18, 11:30 AM
    • 7,059 Posts
    • 7,036 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 11th Aug 18, 11:30 AM
    • 11th Aug 18, 11:30 AM
    Have you investigated options with your current mortgage lender?

For example, instead of repaying the current mortgage, you might be able to increase it - with no early repayment charges.

The extra chunk of borrowing might be on different terms - better or worse terms than you currently have.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,291Posts Today

8,762Users online

Martin's Twitter