Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 11th Aug 18, 1:45 AM
    • 1,671Posts
    • 18,453Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Old Style Daily Saturday 11th August 2018
    • 11th Aug 18, 1:45 AM
    Old Style Daily Saturday 11th August 2018 11th Aug 18 at 1:45 AM
    This is an ďover the garden fenceĒ type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. Itís a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things weíre going to do today or what weíve achieved already. Everyoneís welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasnít just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please donít post large pictures, or clip art Ė links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that donít have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning
Page 1
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 11th Aug 18, 1:59 AM
    • 1,671 Posts
    • 18,453 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 11th Aug 18, 1:59 AM
    • 11th Aug 18, 1:59 AM
    Morning everyone

I have got my brother coming over this morning. He wants to go to town so will park here. Iím going to go with him and then he is going to treat me to lunch. It will be good to have a catch up. They all go on holiday tomorrow so I wonít see any of them for a while.

While we are in town I will have a browse of the market and see what their fruit and veg prices are like. I havenít looked for a few months because it got to the point where the supermarkets were much cheaper.

Other than this I donít have any other plans for the day.

Camelot glad you had a good time on holiday.

Nelski I was really worried that you had given James, Simon and Jamie, and was so pleased to hear that they are still all on your yacht, if only because I'm hoping for an invite .

Csarina at least a care plan is being put in place before your OH comes home now.

TA thinking of you and Mr TA.

Snoozer Iím pleased that you were feeling more positive and less down by the evening yesterday. Hope you enjoyed the kedgeree.

TA thoughts are with you.

I hope that you all have a decent day.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 11th Aug 18, 5:43 AM
    • 6,742 Posts
    • 44,118 Thanks
    Gers
    • 11th Aug 18, 5:43 AM
    • 11th Aug 18, 5:43 AM
    Morning all.

No idea why I have woken extra early though I slept really well.

DM continues to improve even though she had an afternoon nap. She even washed the dishes twice yesterday.

Nothing exciting planned for today, shopping and then moving around the house. Last night I indulged in a bit of online retail therapy saw a gorgeous red silk top / blouse from Per Una and couldn't resist. Not sure I'll keep it once I see it!

I hope everyone has a great and happy Saturday.
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 11th Aug 18, 6:49 AM
    • 3,197 Posts
    • 44,272 Thanks
    nmlc
    • 11th Aug 18, 6:49 AM
    • 11th Aug 18, 6:49 AM
    Morning everyone

hollyharvey - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Blue sky and sunshine here already, feels warmer again too. Ground dry underfoot but the gardens are definitely looking better after another good rain yesterday, forecast is dry today but then rain on and off for tomorrow and Monday - then drier after that. I have a basket of wet washing that I hope I will get dry today, I'll peg it out shortly.

DH and myself are up, I'm showered, dressed and just finished my brekkie as I'm working this morning. Boys still in their pits, DS2 catching a lift with me and going to the gym.

Dinner last night was chicken and bacon kievs, chips/jacket potato, beans/veg for the menfolk. I had mushroom omelette, salad and jacket potato, ice cream for whoever wanted one, I had blueberries and a peach with Greek 0% fat yogurt - lovely it was. I spent some time yesterday meal planning, I have it in hand and know what I'm doing for the coming days - I'll see what the scales say when I get weighed on Tuesday night and then I'll know if I'm on the right track. I'll then carry on doing what I'm doing or change it. Today's food will be pizza and breaded chicken portions for the menfolk, side salad, jacket potato, HM coleslaw. I'll be having caponata with some baked fish, one of my favourite meals.

I did get some more of the jobs done yesterday, but managed to motivate myself enough to make some HM tomato sauce, this will be the sauce that goes with the meatballs I've got on my food plan for Tuesday night - the menfolk have the usual smoked sausage and mushroom pasta with creme fraiche sauce. It'll be a late meal for me as I will go and get weighed and eat after, but will feed the menfolk before I go. I'm not sure if I'm losing any weight as the scales are not doing much, but we'll see, I don't want to lose that much so it may be a slog to lose every pound!

We'll be visiting the parents at some point - either this afternoon or tomorrow, it's FIL birthday tomorrow.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
    • I Love comps
    • By I Love comps 11th Aug 18, 7:24 AM
    • 1,227 Posts
    • 5,154 Thanks
    I Love comps
    • 11th Aug 18, 7:24 AM
    • 11th Aug 18, 7:24 AM
    Morning Everyone,

Lots of viewings booked for DM's house. It went live yesterday morning.

Plans for today. Vacuum living room and get ready for my daughter coming this afternoon with her BF, it was her B/day last wed , so a late celebration with a take-out and catch up.

Want to go to DM's house if no viewings taking place and bring some more things back.

Have a good day all x
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping Boards. "I am a volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Any views are my own and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board Guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • natlie
    • By natlie 11th Aug 18, 7:25 AM
    • 1,171 Posts
    • 5,054 Thanks
    natlie
    • 11th Aug 18, 7:25 AM
    • 11th Aug 18, 7:25 AM
    Hi

The weather is forecast to be horrible here today so just going to sort - but not wash laundry.

I need to post some eBay parcels, do dishes, hoover the stairs and food shop is being delivered later. If my new balance transfer card arrives today then I will be sorting that, need to make a new to do list and write all next weeks stuff on my weekly planner - my eldest has her A-Level results Thursday - argh!

Nat
    £27328 £26,728 £26,668
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 11th Aug 18, 7:36 AM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 49,665 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    • 11th Aug 18, 7:36 AM
    • 11th Aug 18, 7:36 AM
    Morning all
    Thanks for the thread Holly and hugs to all those in need,
    We are moored at Crofton, we treated ourselves to a slice of cake from the caf! there yesterday, coffee and walnut. yummy.
    We are now heading towards Hungerford, six miles and 16 locks to get there, not sure how far we will get today. I'm also not sure where there are any mooring places.

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • tru
    • By tru 11th Aug 18, 7:48 AM
    • 8,697 Posts
    • 45,490 Thanks
    tru
    • 11th Aug 18, 7:48 AM
    • 11th Aug 18, 7:48 AM
    Morning

Hello natlie

Welcome home camelot I'm glad you had a good time x

Thanks for the comments about the flowers x The white lilies were huge, they were lovely and would've been perfect for a bouquet but looked daft in a little posy so I chose white roses instead. I was a bit disappointed to start with but once I'd arranged them I really liked them. I bought two cards because I can't decide which I prefer, I'm going ask miss tru to choose

It was raining yesterday morning, it was getting heavier so I decided to go out before it got worse. By the time I'd been to the shop and walked Scampi I was soaked. It was very cool so I felt cold, I dried off and changed into my snuggly clothes, sat down with a coffee Ė then the rain stopped

A couple of tomato plants have fallen over so I need to rescue them, I hope they haven't snapped. I don't want to lose them now, the tomatoes have only just started ripening. There's two loads of washing to hang out and I'll do an online shop for tuesday. I might do some crochet later.

Bulletproof
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 11th Aug 18, 7:52 AM
    • 12,643 Posts
    • 42,943 Thanks
    Nelski
    • 11th Aug 18, 7:52 AM
    • 11th Aug 18, 7:52 AM
    Morning

Holly how could you ever think I wouldn't have my 3 boys with me
    AOD hope your tooth is pain free today

We seem to going against all forecasts again. Supposed to be persisting it down but not so ...not a cloud in the sky and lovely and warm. Must be my chalk picture again

Soaked the baskets first thing then plans for the day are pretty mundane which is good. Age Uk call, Asda delivery and probably a kitchen tidy ....now stop it the excitement is overwhelming. If the sky stays this blue I may get into the garden ..its always nice and peaceful on a Saturday it can chuck it down tomorrow instead. Did have an invite out tonight but turned it down as I really hate our local town on a sat night I must be getting old. We do have a makers market on tomorrow though which I think I will go to. Only problem will be sticking to a budget lol

Right Ill head off before the snores get too loud
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 11th Aug 18, 8:07 AM
    • 4,049 Posts
    • 49,554 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Morning All

Looks ok outside today, yesterday was lovely, all the washing dried in double quick time as it was so windy. Hope it stays calm today so I can paint some of the fence, I've bought a sprayer so who knows what will be painted!

Pleased to hear your mum is on the mend Gers, must be such a relief.
    Hope your DHs are comfortable Csarina and TA, make sure you look after yourselves too.
    How's the mouth AOD?

Going to Yoga this morning then I must go up to the allotment, went yesterday but it was all locked up.

Have a happy Saturday, take care. XX
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 11th Aug 18, 8:18 AM
    • 2,925 Posts
    • 31,729 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Thank you all for your messages about Noah. His mum is understandably very upset just now but I have told her that you have sent messages. I have written everything down to pass to her. Thanks again and love to you all.
    Weight loss 2018 19.5 lbs

October Grocery Challenge £51.07/£150
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 11th Aug 18, 8:31 AM
    • 16,331 Posts
    • 139,549 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good morning all I do hope NPM finds some peace, much love to her and the family xx
    Today the sun has returned after yesterdays downpour and along with it is green grass in my garden Lovely and cool and fresh though .So nice I think a walk around my local park is long overdue, so thats my plan for this morning.No shopping to buy at all as I have more than enough to get me through until I go away next friday Tonight's meal is sweet chilli chicken thighs from the freezer and new potatoes and the rest of the white cabbage steamed I like a good dollop of sweet chilli sauce on my cabbage to liven it up a bit I have a nice galia melon in the fridge so that will do for some pudding.
    our tomorrow for dinner at DDs and also out on Tuesday to the pub quiz and we have a traditional fish and chips the night before we go on holiday so I only have Monday and Wednesday this week when I need to cook dinner. I think I will knock up a victoria sponge cake for DD later today as I want to use up some of my eggs Using up as much as I can before the holiday so I leave my fridge empty by Friday morning.

Hope everyone has a good weekend and good news that your mum's doing so well gers.Go on treat yourself to a nice top you deserve a treat now and again

Take care everyone

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018:Food Budget only
    End of September totals £262.19 1st Oct £30.96
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 11th Aug 18, 9:27 AM
    • 2,139 Posts
    • 22,443 Thanks
    snoozer
    Cranky, thank you for the update, they've been in my thoughts this week.

It's lovely and sunny in Edinburgh today so we'll go and explore and then Steve has booked a meal for our anniversary.

We're staying in an Airbnb house which is very nice but full of stuff, every surface is covered in knick-knacks and it makes me itch.
    • redruby
    • By redruby 11th Aug 18, 9:40 AM
    • 6,816 Posts
    • 95,302 Thanks
    redruby
    Morning all

Nice bright day today after torrential rain for hours yesterday, the caf! at work was completely surrounded by a moat yesterday and we had to wade through water to get out the car park was flooded too !! Its meant to rain tomorrow and Monday too so we need to make the most of today.

OH is doing the food shop today and I shall stay and tidy through downstairs, dd and her boyf do upstairs.

DD is off to her house this morning to await the delivery of a mattress, so she will take a bit more stuff with her

BBQ tonight so will sit in the garden with a beverage while its cooking.

Arranged for the patio to be done, the chap is coming in about four weeks to do it, its going to be a big one about half of the garden, OH and I just don't have time to garden so this way we can have a few pots around to look nice and we enjoying sitting out in the garden, we will get the fence done at the same time.

Camelot glad you had a good time xx

Hugs to all in need xx

Have good days all xx

Happy Anniversary to the snoozers xx
    Last edited by redruby; 11-08-2018 at 10:59 PM.
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 11th Aug 18, 9:44 AM
    • 2,282 Posts
    • 23,360 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Care package is only for the morning getting him up and showering/washing. I will still have to call for assistance if he does pass out on the floor. Still I suppose some help is better than nothing. I am going to try and get him into the day hospice one day a week to give me a break.

Physio went to see him yesterday, she is going to give him a leaflet of chair exercises he can do to strengthen his legs which are very weak. I am not expecting him home really until the middle of next week.

We had some rain yesterday, its bright and sunny just now, cool breeze, forecast rain later which is badly needed.

I am not going into the hospital today will go tomorrow after lunch, break the day up a bit for him. No idea what I am going to do. I do need to layer up the baby quilt ready to quilt, thinking about it, I might prepare the backing and lay it on the table ready for the wadding.........I might spend most of the day relaxing. I have a baby coat on the knitting needles, could get on with that.

No idea what to have for supper, might have fish and salad, will see how I feel later. Had the second ready meal from Aldi last night sweet and sour chicken, could have done with a bit less rice and a bit more chicken but I enjoyed it.
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 11th Aug 18, 11:32 AM
    • 559 Posts
    • 7,979 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Good morning all

Thank you for starting us off Holly, hope you have a lovely day

My thoughts are with everyone who having a hard time

Not sure if I will be able to post, taken me two hours to get my laptop to work. It says I have no memory,I have deleted loads of stuff (about 200MB) but it says I only have 5.96MB space left, don't understand anything techie. Laptop keeps shutting down. Huge file for HP printer support, don't know if I need it or if I can delete.

Hope you all have a good day
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 11th Aug 18, 12:14 PM
    • 925 Posts
    • 12,557 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Hello all
    Well after my day of rest yesterday, I had a dreadful night with very little sleep. So I feel awful this morning . I have been going from boiling hot to shivering and I'm also aching all over. I have no idea what it is but it will pass, I've had it before. Anyway I have taken some painkillers and crossed my fingers. This afternoon I may have a soak in a warm bath to see if I can ease the aching.

I seem to be going in slow motion today, but I must keep doing things or I'll seize up. So this morning I managed to do one load in the WM and hang it out as it's overcast but breezy. This was not the forecast, it was supposed to be rain. I shall have to keep my eye on it and hope it dries before it buckets down.
    I filled the DW too but will wait till after the lunch dishes go in, to start that up. I think it might be a tomato soup day. I have also halved, de-stoned and frozen some apricots as they seem to be ripening quicker than I can eat them .

Tea tonight will be beef strips in black bean sauce with rice or chips, but I will leave Mr Fix It in charge of that.

I'm off to get my soup on, so I shall wish everyone a good Saturday.
    Hugs to anyone who needs them.
    nan xx
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 11th Aug 18, 12:59 PM
    • 10,829 Posts
    • 119,123 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Silver-Oldie what operating system are you using? Windows 10, or Windows 7, or something else entirely?
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 11th Aug 18, 2:15 PM
    • 6,742 Posts
    • 44,118 Thanks
    Gers
    Iím in my own home!

After I got back to DM from shopping she was up, had made and eaten her own breakfast and was adamant that I could leave her. Iím only here overnight as I have to be with her on Monday morning for the heating engineer but itís enough to lift my spirits.

Once the digoxin was reinstated and the furosemide stopped the change in her health is astounding. DM wonít be the same as she was last year but the improvement is heartening, now I feel comfortable leaving her - with a long list of instructions - for a while.

An old friend is insisting on taking me out for a drink next week. When I suggested a chilled Chablis or Sancerre he countered with champagne, Iím not a fan of the fizz but wonít refuse it.

Iíve cleared the post box, including a bus lane penalty charge , forgot that the bus lane started at 4.00pm, thought it was 4.30pm. My own fault but my first ever infringement of anything!

Today would have been the 67th birthday of my only sibling, he died just days after his birthday aged 57. Itís also the birthday of his youngest son so a bittersweet day. The nephew is a sort of farmer in Queensland, heís turned out so well after a rough few years when he was on track to be a bum. A strong girlfriend, three children and a fabulous mother have got his life turned round. Oh, and an utterly wonderful aunt too.

Right, of to inspect the rest of my home. Thereís washing chugging in the machine, some had been there since 26 June so itís getting a boil wash.
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 11th Aug 18, 3:02 PM
    • 559 Posts
    • 7,979 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Silver-Oldie what operating system are you using? Windows 10, or Windows 7, or something else entirely?
    Originally posted by LameWolf
    think it's windows 10, not sure
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,722Posts Today

7,789Users online

Martin's Twitter