Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jupiterthegreat999
    • By jupiterthegreat999 10th Aug 18, 11:05 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 1Thanks
    jupiterthegreat999
    Gift cards purchased online
    • 10th Aug 18, 11:05 PM
    Gift cards purchased online 10th Aug 18 at 11:05 PM
    I notice that retailers do not usually allow you to return gift cards
    I was under the understanding that things purchased online can be returned within 14 days of purchase - why can gift cards be exempt?

----------------

anyway, my problem right now is that I bought some House of Fraser e Gift Cards 3 weeks ago. They were sold at a discounted price by a company which provides employee benefits.

Two weeks ago, when I tried to spend them, some of them did not work. I asked them to investigate 31st July. They asked me to send the gift vouchers - these gift vouchers have pins on them, so they are not secure any more. I sent these and asked for a refund.

They said they are investigating. I emailed or phoned them almost every day from last Wednesday because already last week, there were news that HoF might go into administration. I only bought them because I thought they secured funding before the other party pulled out. They kept on telling me that they are investigating. Eventually, they did not return my calls or reply to my emails.

Then HoF went into administration this morning - the vouchers becomes worthless.

what is my best course of action right now? Should I call my bank to start the chargeback procedure? Since they were broken when purchased, surely the seller has to refund me?
Page 1
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 10th Aug 18, 11:35 PM
    • 3,542 Posts
    • 20,277 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 10th Aug 18, 11:35 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 11:35 PM
    I assume it is the company you purchased them from rather than HoF that you returned the vouchers to?

If the benefits company are not responding directly to you, it may be worth getting in touch with the HR department in your company as they may have a contact they can deal with.
    Last edited by mije1983; 10-08-2018 at 11:38 PM.

• jupiterthegreat999
    • By jupiterthegreat999 10th Aug 18, 11:45 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    jupiterthegreat999
    • 10th Aug 18, 11:45 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 11:45 PM
    Yes, I bought It from Xexec, not HoF.

I may be wrong but I get the feeling HR does not have much to do with them and probably don't want to deal with type of stuff.

Any reason why I shouldn't just call the card company?
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 11th Aug 18, 6:58 AM
    • 12,690 Posts
    • 8,588 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 11th Aug 18, 6:58 AM
    • 11th Aug 18, 6:58 AM
    Try Xerec on social media, they seem active on Twitter.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,999Posts Today

9,518Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • How much of your income do you spend on holidays each year? Please vote in this week's MSE site poll... https://t.co/LZ3YIGra1p

• RT @FinanceJames: @MartinSLewis Absolutely do. I've been shouldered out of the way by cyclists - while on a bike myself - because I'd stopp?

• I no longer have a car. I mostly walk (& occasionally cycle). I don't need lecturing on bad drivers, I lost my moth? https://t.co/tsBYUEhRjt

• Follow Martin