Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MikeJO
    • By MikeJO 10th Aug 18, 10:33 PM
    • 331Posts
    • 279Thanks
    MikeJO
    0 WOW
    €uro exchange
    • 10th Aug 18, 10:33 PM
    0 WOW
    €uro exchange 10th Aug 18 at 10:33 PM
    I realise that this is an impossible question to get a definitive answer to but I'm interested in opinions. We are spending six weeks travelling through Europe next summer so will need a lot of Euros obviously; given the current state of falling exchange rate I'm tempted to take several thousand pounds from my savings now and take the deals on offer because I fear it's only going to get worse.

What would you do? Is that a sensible option or am I panicking unnecessarily?

I will hold nobody to blame if their advice turns out to be wrong, just canvassing thought.
    Procrastination is my middle name....well it would be if I could be ar**d to contact Deed Poll."
Page 1
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 10th Aug 18, 11:10 PM
    • 14,570 Posts
    • 19,624 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 10th Aug 18, 11:10 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 11:10 PM
    I'd just leave my money in my bank in the UK and use cards for spending and cash abroad.

I'd suggest you do the same.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
    • MikeJO
    • By MikeJO 10th Aug 18, 11:59 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 279 Thanks
    MikeJO
    • 10th Aug 18, 11:59 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 11:59 PM
    I'd just leave my money in my bank in the UK and use cards for spending and cash abroad.

I'd suggest you do the same.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    That's what I've always done, just worried about the possible Brexit affected crash in the value of Sterling. Already people are getting less than 1 to 1 if they're daft enough to change at the airport, it's a conundrum.
    Procrastination is my middle name....well it would be if I could be ar**d to contact Deed Poll."
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 11th Aug 18, 9:04 AM
    • 14,570 Posts
    • 19,624 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 11th Aug 18, 9:04 AM
    • 11th Aug 18, 9:04 AM
    How far would the pound have to drop to make a preloaded card cheaper overall then a fee free credit or debit card?
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
    • benjus
    • By benjus 11th Aug 18, 9:43 AM
    • 5,185 Posts
    • 3,212 Thanks
    benjus
    • 11th Aug 18, 9:43 AM
    • 11th Aug 18, 9:43 AM
    How far would the pound have to drop to make a preloaded card cheaper overall then a fee free credit or debit card?
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    Not that much really, if you're using something like Transferwise Borderless account.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

85Posts Today

1,705Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin