Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rooki3
    • By Rooki3 10th Aug 18, 9:39 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Rooki3
    Possible subsidence- insurance?
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:39 PM
    Possible subsidence- insurance? 10th Aug 18 at 9:39 PM
    Hi
    Iíve seen a crack on the exterior and interior of side of my house. I called the insurance company who told us to take out a claim. However since taking out the claim Iíve read horror stories about subsidence and insurance I.e not being able to insure your property with other insurers, not being able to sell the property etc, and subsidence claims sitting on insurance files for decades so have put the claim on hold.
    I need some advice:
    1) should I withdraw the claim (but it will still sit on insurance records) and I get the work done privately or
    2) claim subsidence through insurance.

We have conifer trees nearby which I think may be causing the issue due to recent high temperature... any help greatly appreciated!
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 10th Aug 18, 9:48 PM
    • 36,812 Posts
    • 20,935 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:48 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:48 PM
    Too late now you have notified the insurer.

This will be recorded and must be disclosed to other insurers you approach for quotes

Never contact your insurer regarding a possible claim!

Only notify them when you are sure you intend making a claim.
    • Zorillo
    • By Zorillo 10th Aug 18, 10:25 PM
    • 286 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    Zorillo
    • 10th Aug 18, 10:25 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 10:25 PM
    2) and hope it isn't subsidence. Now you've already told them, there's no point in 1) when you can use your insurance company to establish the cause of the crack, and if it's not subsidence you'll have to do 1) anyway and the insurance company records will show it wasn't deemed to be subsidence.

If it is subsidence, 1) won't change the fact you have had a disclosable subsidence event so you'd might as well get it fixed by 2) anyway.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,474Posts Today

8,517Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin