Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Blackburnwoman
    • By Blackburnwoman 10th Aug 18, 8:16 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Blackburnwoman
    Survey vs Local Search
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:16 PM
    Survey vs Local Search 10th Aug 18 at 8:16 PM
    I am a first time buyer and I am getting myself really confused.

My offer has been accepted and on the tracker it says survey and local search so I was wondering what is the difference and who does them as I have gone with a conveyancing company. Would they do both or not?

TIA
Page 1
    • Linton
    • By Linton 10th Aug 18, 8:50 PM
    • 9,826 Posts
    • 10,084 Thanks
    Linton
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:50 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:50 PM
    There are two surveys. One is a valuation done by the mortgage company to ensure that the house you are buying will provide suficient security for the loan. The other is commisioned by you to ensure the house is in a reasonable state of repair with nothing obviously wrong with it and is worth the money you have agreed to pay. It is up to you to arrange your own survey.

Your solicitor/conveyancer will undertake the local searches to ensure there are no plans to put a motorway through the house or build a grunge factory next door, to ensure that it isnt built on a mine shaft, isnt in serious risk of floods etc etc.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 11th Aug 18, 4:15 PM
    • 45,563 Posts
    • 54,788 Thanks
    G_M
    • 11th Aug 18, 4:15 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 4:15 PM
    If you do not know the difference, then you are not taking your purchase seriously. This is a huge commitment.

Borrow (free) a book on buying property from your local library so that you learn everything that is involved - not just the search/survey definitions.

eg
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Buy-Property-Simple-Millennials/dp/1976072735/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1534000699&sr=1-8&keywords=buy+property
    Last edited by G_M; 11-08-2018 at 4:19 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,299Posts Today

7,990Users online

Martin's Twitter