Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • vegasvisitor
    • By vegasvisitor 10th Aug 18, 7:54 PM
    • 2,175Posts
    • 1,420Thanks
    vegasvisitor
    Ebay - 'best offers' and low feedback levels
    • 10th Aug 18, 7:54 PM
    Ebay - 'best offers' and low feedback levels 10th Aug 18 at 7:54 PM
    Hope I can get some advice here.

I've listed an item on ebay and have had 4 'best offer' bids.

The first one is from 'buyer a' and was 10 short of the buy it now price. I would have considered it, only they were a new ebayer, joined Feb and no feedback to date. I rejected, stating my concerns about lack of feedback. Buyer a then counter offers by adding another 5. I replied no, sorry, as previously stated, not enough feedback.

Buyer b then offers 25 short of asking price. Has about 30 feedbacks, but 2 older feedbacks where they withdrew items for sale once bidding ended as unhappy with price. I reject, based on price.

Buyer a then offers 1 short of my original buy it now price. I had feared they would just pay full price, and stuck my buy it now price up by a fiver to sort of prevent them. They've used their 3 bids now but could now do a 'buy it now' if they really want, and I guess I'd be obliged to sell to them.

Any thoughts or advice? I know everyone had no feedback at some point, but I have read about fraud and it concerns me. The RRP of the item is 110, although I'm selling it a bit cheaper but it's brand new in box and I don't want to end up losing out completely due to some sort of fraud.
Page 1
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 10th Aug 18, 7:57 PM
    • 12,997 Posts
    • 8,815 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 10th Aug 18, 7:57 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 7:57 PM
    Fraud isn't confined to no-feedback buyers.

If you are concerned about the 0 feedback buyer (and if I were them I would be cross), you may want to block them from bidding.

Your 110 RRP item is not brand new, it is second hand, unless you are a business and selling it as new.

Any buyer is a risk, read the sticky on postage and decide your risk level.
    • vegasvisitor
    • By vegasvisitor 10th Aug 18, 8:16 PM
    • 2,175 Posts
    • 1,420 Thanks
    vegasvisitor
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:16 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:16 PM
    Thanks, but it doesn't seem to be possible to block them from bidding. I don't want to be mean to them, and as I said, I know we all had zero feedback once. I possibly made the mistake of googling it, as then I found negative stories, such as someone selling and getting proof of postage and then the buyer saying they sent them some other random item (I think it was beetroot, bizarrely). Just makes me wary, that's all. I don't want to get totally stung. I bought the item a few weeks ago and it's still in it's original cellophane and has not been used in any way.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 10th Aug 18, 8:19 PM
    • 12,997 Posts
    • 8,815 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:19 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:19 PM
    Thanks, but it doesn't seem to be possible to block them from bidding. I don't want to be mean to them, and as I said, I know we all had zero feedback once. I possibly made the mistake of googling it, as then I found negative stories, such as someone selling and getting proof of postage and then the buyer saying they sent them some other random item (I think it was beetroot, bizarrely). Just makes me wary, that's all. I don't want to get totally stung. I bought the item a few weeks ago and it's still in it's original cellophane and has not been used in any way.
    Originally posted by vegasvisitor
    It is possible to block them from bidding.

As for your bizarre story, that can happen with beetroot, binoculars and best bidders.....feedback is no indicator to fraud.

As an aside, if this was a fraudster - ask yourself if he's likely to want to cut a deal of 10 cheaper, or if he'd just pay the full price?
    • vegasvisitor
    • By vegasvisitor 10th Aug 18, 8:26 PM
    • 2,175 Posts
    • 1,420 Thanks
    vegasvisitor
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:26 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:26 PM
    I can't find a way to block them from bidding. I've googled and looked on ebay without success.

The bizarre story wasn't mine, it was in the Guardian. I feel really bad if that happened to someone if they genuinely posted an expensive phone and lost their money. i'm just trying to protect myself from this sort of thing happening.

I get your point though, there's no point in a scammer haggling, I hadn't thought of that. That said, I don't know why they continued to bid 3 times without reading my reasons for declining, but perhaps they are just new to ebay and didn't read things properly.

I only just listed the item, and don't often sell on ebay. Thanks for the advice, I'll see how it pans out.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 10th Aug 18, 8:31 PM
    • 12,997 Posts
    • 8,815 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:31 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:31 PM
    I can't find a way to block them from bidding. I've googled and looked on ebay without success.

Try this Block bidders https://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?bidderblocklogin&bidderblocklogin=&h m=vo%7B2d71f%2B5f%604&hc=1

I get your point though, there's no point in a scammer haggling, I hadn't thought of that. That said, I don't know why they continued to bid 3 times without reading my reasons for declining, but perhaps they are just new to ebay and didn't read things properly.
    Or perhaps they just want what you are selling?

I only just listed the item, and don't often sell on ebay. Thanks for the advice, I'll see how it pans out.

There's no apology for feeling cautious but 0 feedback buyers are not the enemy, they can be lucrative. Sometimes they find your item on google and sign up just for your item.

Read the sticky on postage and ask as many questions as you need, no one can say for certain, but the likelihood of being scammed is not as high as we sometimes feel.
    • RainbowDrops
    • By RainbowDrops 11th Aug 18, 7:40 AM
    • 4,516 Posts
    • 4,889 Thanks
    RainbowDrops
    • 11th Aug 18, 7:40 AM
    • 11th Aug 18, 7:40 AM
    Considering how little feedback I receive these days (both buying & selling), I'm not sure how worried I'd be about low feedback users.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 11th Aug 18, 9:09 AM
    • 61,168 Posts
    • 43,725 Thanks
    soolin
    • 11th Aug 18, 9:09 AM
    • 11th Aug 18, 9:09 AM
    Most of my problem buyers have feedback in the 'teens', as though they've been around for a little while and think they can start mucking people about. I have a lot less problems with zero feedback buyers. I currently have a non payer on my private account who has 17 feedback, due to feedback in the teens I'm going to open an NPB early, rather than wait my usual 4 days as previous experience suggests they are not going to pay regardless of how long I give them.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • A Frayed Knot
    • By A Frayed Knot 11th Aug 18, 9:30 AM
    • 2,569 Posts
    • 11,339 Thanks
    A Frayed Knot
    • 11th Aug 18, 9:30 AM
    • 11th Aug 18, 9:30 AM
    Slightly off topic here, but has to do with a buyer who has zero feedback, in fact joined ebay on 10.8.18 !!! bought an item, to then send a message saying it was the wrong size

Is it still OK to cancel an item at buyers request, then refund? i'm sure I read somewhere, that this way would come back and bite us? which with new rules, looks this way.
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's
    Target 12 months 12/24 (missing out no.13)
    MFMarch 30 Re/M Oct 23 Target -Dec 19
    O/P's 2014/4000, 2015/6294.69, 2016/3186.80, 2017 4068.97

• soolin
    • By soolin 11th Aug 18, 12:57 PM
    • 61,168 Posts
    • 43,725 Thanks
    soolin
    Slightly off topic here, but has to do with a buyer who has zero feedback, in fact joined ebay on 10.8.18 !!! bought an item, to then send a message saying it was the wrong size

Is it still OK to cancel an item at buyers request, then refund? i'm sure I read somewhere, that this way would come back and bite us? which with new rules, looks this way.
    Originally posted by A Frayed Knot
    Cancelling is fine (currently) as long as you opt for the reason 'buyer requested', it's SNAD cases that we are now being penalised for retrospectively.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Marcon
    • By Marcon 11th Aug 18, 11:22 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 415 Thanks
    Marcon
    This comment doesn't help you directly, but might be worth bearing in mind. Over the years I've had a number of buyers who joined ebay the day the bid on one of my items - because they wanted the item, they joined ebay! To add someone to your blocked bidders list just because they don't yet have any track record is a bit harsh.

I guess they went on making best offers in the hope that offering you more cash would change your mind - which in many cases would probably work.
    • vegasvisitor
    • By vegasvisitor 12th Aug 18, 8:43 AM
    • 2,175 Posts
    • 1,420 Thanks
    vegasvisitor
    You could be right Marcon. One of the offers is very acceptable, but I was quite clear on my feedback why I wan't accepting and I did wonder if they were even reading that. It's a shame if they're genuine but I don't want to end up out of pocket or having any hassle if it goes wrong.
    • Houbara
    • By Houbara 12th Aug 18, 10:17 AM
    • 4,058 Posts
    • 2,636 Thanks
    Houbara
    Personally I never start a "buy it now " sale on Ebay with allowing best offers. Not many will ignore that so of course they will attempt to knock you down. You can untick the "allow best offers " and stick to what you consider a fair buy it now price, at least for a week or so.
    Ebay will start to allow best offers automatically if its not sold fairly quickly, but you can revise that and stop Ebay from trying to get you to give away a sale cheaply.
    • vegasvisitor
    • By vegasvisitor 12th Aug 18, 7:29 PM
    • 2,175 Posts
    • 1,420 Thanks
    vegasvisitor
    I've now sold. Buyer was cautious and asked me to send a pic with my ebay ID and date written beside it, but fair enough.
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 12th Aug 18, 8:41 PM
    • 3,455 Posts
    • 543 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Just to add...

I recently sold an item that i'd been listing on Facebook & Gumtree as well and i'd been getting messed around since December.

This person comes in with an offer after eBay put in their offer feature. I wanted shut of the item so i accepted.

The person who placed the offer registered with eBay in 2008 yet only had a rating of (1) which was back in 2016. I thought i had yet another timewaster on my hands but the item was collection only so i had nothing to lose.

They turned up when they said they would. Actually they were 10 minutes early. Very pleasant & paid up in cash instantly.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

741Posts Today

4,816Users online

Martin's Twitter