Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • User0251287
    • By User0251287 10th Aug 18, 7:02 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 6Thanks
    User0251287
    Frenchie - cost of sedation and ear cleaning
    • 10th Aug 18, 7:02 PM
    Frenchie - cost of sedation and ear cleaning 10th Aug 18 at 7:02 PM
    Hi - just looking for some advice on vet fees. My frenchie has had constant ear infections since March. The past two infections have been treated using osurnia gel. To begin with this has worked well but a few weeks later it returns. To avoid any reoccurrence the vet has suggested that we sedate him and clean the ear thoroughly before applying osurnia again. They have quoted me £340 for this which seems a bit high! When we had him neutered in February his ears were cleaned at the same time which cost less than £150. Donít understand why there is a huge price difference? Is neutering subsidised?
Page 1
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 10th Aug 18, 8:09 PM
    • 5,313 Posts
    • 3,972 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:09 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:09 PM
    You should receive an itemised bill. If you don't get one ask for one.
    That will show what each item cost.

But a lot of the costs for the neutering would also cover th ear cleaning. e.g There would be no sedation as the dog would already be aneasthetised. Costs relating to the theatre time ad supplies would be included in the neutering cost. So that would subsidise the cost of the ear cleaning.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 10th Aug 18, 8:12 PM
    • 3,453 Posts
    • 9,260 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:12 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:12 PM
    Neutering is often subsidised or offered at a 'special offer' price. To encourage take up.

Is sedation absolutely necessary? Flat faced breeds like French Bulldogs often have compromised breathing so it shouldn't be done if there's any alternative.
    • Merlin's Beard
    • By Merlin's Beard 11th Aug 18, 10:44 PM
    • 221 Posts
    • 1,872 Thanks
    Merlin's Beard
    • 11th Aug 18, 10:44 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 10:44 PM
    Neutering (both male and female, cat, dog) is often offered at at-cost or below-cost price, because it's a loss-leader that gets people through the door. You probably paid for the start of the anaesthetic and the rest is done a) because it's good for him and b) because they hope now you've experienced the place, you'll go back.

(It might also include the Osurnia which, as you've probably discovered, isn't that cheap in the first place)
    • welshmoneylover
    • By welshmoneylover 12th Aug 18, 9:01 AM
    • 2,765 Posts
    • 3,655 Thanks
    welshmoneylover
    • 12th Aug 18, 9:01 AM
    • 12th Aug 18, 9:01 AM
    Hi - just looking for some advice on vet fees. My frenchie has had constant ear infections since March. The past two infections have been treated using osurnia gel. To begin with this has worked well but a few weeks later it returns. To avoid any reoccurrence the vet has suggested that we sedate him and clean the ear thoroughly before applying osurnia again. They have quoted me £340 for this which seems a bit high! When we had him neutered in February his ears were cleaned at the same time which cost less than £150. Donít understand why there is a huge price difference? Is neutering subsidised?
    Originally posted by User0251287

If your dog has frequent ear infections you need to find the trigger.
    With my dog itís anything that contains chicken so we avoid that.
    I found EpiOptic to be the best ear cleaner which can be bought easily online.
    Thornit is pretty good too, a small bottle lasts for ages.
    The price of anaesthetic has risen recently.
    Be happy, it's the greatest wealth
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

202Posts Today

1,576Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Lovely package on #newsnight just now about Brexit hitchhiking, livened up what has been not the most exciting show.

• Is this is a serious tweet or a joke? Why did I mention he was a cyclist - because he was a cyclist. Eh? https://t.co/F1SP7UJZkH

• How awful Mark. This is why those people who take risks on the road, have to realise while they think they're gamb? https://t.co/berU23vQOU

• Follow Martin