Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • greyteam1959
    • By greyteam1959 10th Aug 18, 6:34 PM
    • 2,447Posts
    • 1,126Thanks
    greyteam1959
    Solarplicity Cancel Direct Debit ??
    • 10th Aug 18, 6:34 PM
    Solarplicity Cancel Direct Debit ?? 10th Aug 18 at 6:34 PM
    I left Solarplicity today......Thank You Lord.........!!!
    My account is 31.20 in credit as at August 10th ( today )
    My final bill may be around 10
    My next direct debit payment of 52 to them is on August 24th.
    Going on past performance I may be waiting months to get any credit balance refunded to my bank account.
    My thought is to cancel the direct debit with my bank now.
    Will they still be able to refund me my credit balance if I cancel the direct debit ??
Page 1
    • Skools_Out
    • By Skools_Out 11th Aug 18, 9:13 AM
    • 244 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    Skools_Out
    • 11th Aug 18, 9:13 AM
    • 11th Aug 18, 9:13 AM
    I left Solarplicity today......Thank You Lord.........!!!
    My account is 31.20 in credit as at August 10th ( today )
    My final bill may be around 10
    My next direct debit payment of 52 to them is on August 24th.
    Going on past performance I may be waiting months to get any credit balance refunded to my bank account.
    My thought is to cancel the direct debit with my bank now.
    Will they still be able to refund me my credit balance if I cancel the direct debit ??
    Originally posted by greyteam1959
    Do not cancel your direct debit until you have received your final bill as you may otherwise be in breach of the terms of your contract and so be charged at a higher rate.

You will not have any further further payments collected after your final bill is produced (or the final bill will specify when the final collection will be made)

Any credit on the final bill will be repaid; likewise any outstanding balance owed will need to be paid.
    • fabsaver
    • By fabsaver 11th Aug 18, 1:45 PM
    • 901 Posts
    • 2,021 Thanks
    fabsaver
    • 11th Aug 18, 1:45 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 1:45 PM
    I would cancel the DD now. The above is fine in theory but this is Solarplicity. Their customer services appear to have left the building and turned off the lights!

As far as I am aware paying by DD is not compulsory and there isn't any penalty for not doing so. Other methods or payment are discussed on the Solarplicity thread. You will still likely have a battle trying to get back your credit balance, but why give them another 52 when it is not necessary.
    • greyteam1959
    • By greyteam1959 11th Aug 18, 5:41 PM
    • 2,447 Posts
    • 1,126 Thanks
    greyteam1959
    • 11th Aug 18, 5:41 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 5:41 PM
    I would cancel the DD now. The above is fine in theory but this is Solarplicity. Their customer services appear to have left the building and turned off the lights!

As far as I am aware paying by DD is not compulsory and there isn't any penalty for not doing so. Other methods or payment are discussed on the Solarplicity thread. You will still likely have a battle trying to get back your credit balance, but why give them another 52 when it is not necessary.
    Originally posted by fabsaver
    Yes my thoughts entirely...
    But what about any refund of a credit balance if I cancel the direct debit ??
    Will they still be able to do that ??
    • fabsaver
    • By fabsaver 12th Aug 18, 3:37 PM
    • 901 Posts
    • 2,021 Thanks
    fabsaver
    • 12th Aug 18, 3:37 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 3:37 PM
    I suspect it wouldn't go through automatically and would need to be a manual payment. They can do that but whether you are able to get hold of anyone to ask is another matter entirely.

If all else fails you could try reclaiming the last payment from your bank under the DD guarantee. I think some on the other thread had success with that method.
    • Chirpy Cheep Cheep
    • By Chirpy Cheep Cheep 23rd Sep 18, 11:55 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Chirpy Cheep Cheep
    • 23rd Sep 18, 11:55 AM
    Just Do It
    • 23rd Sep 18, 11:55 AM
    Yes my thoughts entirely...
    But what about any refund of a credit balance if I cancel the direct debit ??
    Will they still be able to do that ??
    Originally posted by greyteam1959
    I absolutely echo that. Do them the courtesy (although they show their customers none) of advising them, but just cancel the DD for your peace of mind. Far, far better to be safer from their woeful customer service which could lead to any kind of unwanted DD, than for you to chase them for money.

I cancelled my DD and emailed the CEO [Text removed by Forum Team] That brought about a call from customer services, but too little too late and it was all puff anyway - nothing still done about my issues.

I'm no banking expert, but I don't believe (and I could be wrong), that a direct debit is a 2 way channel...You can just as easily provide your bank details for the refund by email or phone. And if you don't get it: Ombudsman and compensation. I know because I've just done that and won against Solarplicity
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam2; 23-09-2018 at 11:32 PM.
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 23rd Sep 18, 12:54 PM
    • 433 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    wavelets
    • 23rd Sep 18, 12:54 PM
    • 23rd Sep 18, 12:54 PM
    I'm no banking expert, but I don't believe (and I could be wrong), that a direct debit is a 2 way channel...You can just as easily provide your bank details for the refund by email or phone. And if you don't get it: Ombudsman and compensation. I know because I've just done that and won against Solarplicity
    Originally posted by Chirpy Cheep Cheep
    Your post here
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=74825509&postcount=161
    indicates you only switched last week.

So I don't follow how you could have had compensation offered by the ombudsman in the situation you describe; I suspect you don't even have Solarplicity's final bill /statement yet.

You may wish to remove the personal details of a company officer that you have included within your post that are in breach of the rules of this site, before the Forum Team have to do so for you (hence why I truncated your quoted post).
    Last edited by wavelets; 23-09-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

691Posts Today

6,369Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • May I state with absolute authority and conviction that my poll is worthless. It never purports to be of worth - w? https://t.co/acXRTGUH4z

• RT @BBCkatyaadler: Importent to remember in all furore over possibly extending transition that there will be no transition period at all if?

• Today?s poll: If the only leave option is a NO-DEAL Brexit. Would you then support a ?People?s Vote? to decide if? https://t.co/AxswLUSNPJ

• Follow Martin