Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ginashamz
    • By ginashamz 10th Aug 18, 6:00 PM
    • 88Posts
    • 11Thanks
    ginashamz
    Purchased used suspension for my car. Will I be OK?
    • 10th Aug 18, 6:00 PM
    Purchased used suspension for my car. Will I be OK? 10th Aug 18 at 6:00 PM
    Hi

I recently found out my 56 reg Mazda RZ8 PZ does not come with the OEM suspension but instead the standard dampers and springs. To avoid any insurance issues and to have the benefit of the PZ suspension I approahed Mazda main dealer and for all four springs and shocks it's a staggering £1800 plus VAT. I came across a used set on Ebay for £250 and it came off a RX8 PZ that did around 65k miles. It looks in decent condition with no real corrosion so should I be ok? It kit is already assembled with all fixings and my mechanic is charging £200 including VAT to remove existing suspension and fit. Does this sound reasonable?
Page 2
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 12th Aug 18, 3:03 PM
    • 10,359 Posts
    • 11,675 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    I came across a used set on Ebay for £250 and it came off a RX8 PZ that did around 65k miles.
    Originally posted by ginashamz
    Do you know why the suspension was taken off the other vehicle?
    It's possible that it was in a accident that wrote it off and if this was the case, who knows if the shocks are all okay or if one or more is slightly distorted.
    • Arklight
    • By Arklight 12th Aug 18, 3:07 PM
    • 1,501 Posts
    • 2,340 Thanks
    Arklight
    The excellent Chris Fix made a YouTube video showing what shocks go through via an undercar camera. Old shocks really arenít doing anything.

https://youtu.be/MEZSB1JglDM
    • leosayer
    • By leosayer 12th Aug 18, 3:32 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    leosayer
    It is possible to get shock absorbers tested for bound and rebound.

I got mine tested by a suspension alignment garage after I had a broken a spring. They had done 40k and were 10 years old but the garage said they were good as new.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 12th Aug 18, 3:45 PM
    • 34,085 Posts
    • 28,972 Thanks
    custardy
    It is possible to get shock absorbers tested for bound and rebound.

I got mine tested by a suspension alignment garage after I had a broken a spring. They had done 40k and were 10 years old but the garage said they were good as new.
    Originally posted by leosayer

listing mileage is pointless really. 100K of mainly motorway miles could be less wearing than 40K of rural and crappy city roads.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 12th Aug 18, 3:54 PM
    • 17,565 Posts
    • 10,659 Thanks
    motorguy
    I'd have thought an M2 owner wouldnt be scratching around in the dirt looking for cheap used parts for a car?
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • Arklight
    • By Arklight 12th Aug 18, 4:00 PM
    • 1,501 Posts
    • 2,340 Thanks
    Arklight
    I have to say that at 134500 miles my 51 plate Nissan Almera was a pretty firm ride. It sounded a bit like a milk float going over speed bumps, but she never let me down.
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 13th Aug 18, 12:28 PM
    • 12,770 Posts
    • 11,472 Thanks
    jimjames
    Just seems a bit of a waste of time to be asking after you've bought this new old suspension. Surely you would do that beforehand? What if everyone had said it was rubbish and you'd thrown money away?
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,147Posts Today

8,597Users online

Martin's Twitter