Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ComicGeek
    • By ComicGeek 10th Aug 18, 5:21 PM
    • 323Posts
    • 256Thanks
    ComicGeek
    Unnecessary ABS operation
    • 10th Aug 18, 5:21 PM
    Unnecessary ABS operation 10th Aug 18 at 5:21 PM
    It's a Toyota Rav 4 Hybrid, nearly 2 years old, had from new. Suddenly after driving the same roads for nearly 2 years in it I am getting ABS operating when braking from less than 10 mph to a complete stop. Not every time or in the same place, but a couple of times a day every few days. Slip indicator comes on the dash, audible alarm and then I feel the pulsation through the brake pedal. Doesn't happen when braking heavier, only at low speeds.

No gravel on the road, has been very dry conditions apart from today, no change in driving style or heavy braking.

Have taken it into a Toyota garage today for them to look at - computer log shows no previous ABS operation until a month ago, with multiple operations each week from then.

Toyota are saying that there's no problem and nothing they can check without physically driving it around to replicate the ABS operation. It just sounds a bit suspect to me that there's never been an ABS operation in the proceeding 21 months, and now on average 4-5 a week in the past month.

Any ideas/experience on what it can be, or what I could be asking Toyota to look at? It is worrying me as it increases my stopping distance slightly when operating.
Page 1
    • big mortgage
    • By big mortgage 10th Aug 18, 6:33 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    big mortgage
    • 10th Aug 18, 6:33 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 6:33 PM
    Well I had an Aygo that would always activate the ABS on one particularly lumpy (not pot holes, like tiny mini hills) bit of road coming up to a mini roundabout. This would have been about 15-0 mph so not fast and very gently braking. Perhaps the piece of road you have been driving on has worn a bit in the last two years and the profile has changed?

Test on a very smooth piece of road and try to replicate all the other conditions?
    Last edited by big mortgage; 10-08-2018 at 6:35 PM.
    • debtdebt
    • By debtdebt 10th Aug 18, 6:38 PM
    • 566 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    debtdebt
    • 10th Aug 18, 6:38 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 6:38 PM
    Tyres worn perhaps?
    • ComicGeek
    • By ComicGeek 10th Aug 18, 6:53 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 256 Thanks
    ComicGeek
    • 10th Aug 18, 6:53 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 6:53 PM
    It's never the same location or road type that it activates - the only constant is that it's breaking from low speed to standstill, but it's intermittent and I can never replicate it when trying.

Tyres are fine, still got 7 on rears and 6.5 on fronts. Steering, suspension, brakes, tracking all recently checked and also fine. Just seems to me that the ABS is getting a false signal to operate occasionally.
    • ComicGeek
    • By ComicGeek 10th Aug 18, 6:59 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 256 Thanks
    ComicGeek
    • 10th Aug 18, 6:59 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 6:59 PM
    Just checking the wording on the mechanics report from Toyota today, and they've noted that ABS has been operating 'frequently' recently, so perhaps I'll try and speak directly with the mechanic and see what they say.
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 10th Aug 18, 7:08 PM
    • 4,448 Posts
    • 2,546 Thanks
    Lorian
    • 10th Aug 18, 7:08 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 7:08 PM
    Visually inspect the driveshafts for a damaged/split ABS reluctor ring.
    • sebloak
    • By sebloak 10th Aug 18, 8:09 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    sebloak
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:09 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:09 PM
    Probably an ABS Sensor failing. Had the same thing with a ford KA, always at random, low speed and no dash warning lights lit. Mechanic also couldn't find anything until I took it back in when the ABS light came on a couple of months later. 1 new front sensor cured it.
    • ComicGeek
    • By ComicGeek 10th Aug 18, 8:19 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 256 Thanks
    ComicGeek
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:19 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:19 PM
    Thanks for the replies - 2 yr service is due in a couple of weeks, so I'll check what the latest logs are then and get them to check the sensors and reluctor rings as suggested.
    • victor2
    • By victor2 10th Aug 18, 8:21 PM
    • 4,765 Posts
    • 3,181 Thanks
    victor2
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:21 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:21 PM
    Probably an ABS Sensor failing. Had the same thing with a ford KA, always at random, low speed and no dash warning lights lit. Mechanic also couldn't find anything until I took it back in when the ABS light came on a couple of months later. 1 new front sensor cured it.
    Originally posted by sebloak
    I second that. Had the same issue with a Mondeo many years back. Until brake system warning lights came on and I was able to get it to a dealer with the lights on, did they find the problem to be one wheel sensor.
    • ComicGeek
    • By ComicGeek 10th Aug 18, 8:39 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 256 Thanks
    ComicGeek
    Originally posted by sebloak
    I second that. Had the same issue with a Mondeo many years back. Until brake system warning lights came on and I was able to get it to a dealer with the lights on, did they find the problem to be one wheel sensor.
    Originally posted by victor2
    That does annoy me - doing a google search on this shows it to be a relatively common issue, so should be something that the garage could check with me having to do my own research.

Just because the car is less than 2 years doesn't mean that a sensor can't fail, so I'm annoyed that the servicing manager said there wasn't anything that they could check....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

110Posts Today

1,371Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin