Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • WLM21
    • By WLM21 10th Aug 18, 5:05 PM
    • 1,103Posts
    • 349Thanks
    WLM21
    Brake pipe failed during MOT test .. is that just bad luck
    • 10th Aug 18, 5:05 PM
    Brake pipe failed during MOT test .. is that just bad luck 10th Aug 18 at 5:05 PM
    Just had my campervan MOT done and was shocked to hear that it had failed.

According to the mechanic, who seems a genuine sort of chap, the pipe was corroded and burst during the test.

I drove the van to the test centre and the brakes seemed OK to me, so I guess it's just my bad luck that it burst now.

Suppose better failing on the test rollers than on the M1.

Obviously couldn't drive home .. so at least I got my 20,000 steps today.
Page 1
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 10th Aug 18, 5:06 PM
    • 2,066 Posts
    • 1,247 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 10th Aug 18, 5:06 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 5:06 PM
    Yes it's bad luck.
    Hi there! Weve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youre unsure why its been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 10th Aug 18, 5:09 PM
    • 3,188 Posts
    • 1,985 Thanks
    Car 54
    • 10th Aug 18, 5:09 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 5:09 PM
    No, it's good luck. Bad luck would have been failing on the M1 as you say.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 10th Aug 18, 5:12 PM
    • 3,385 Posts
    • 2,478 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 10th Aug 18, 5:12 PM
    My wife's FTO did the same. Counted blessings it went on the brake tester.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 10th Aug 18, 5:12 PM
    • 1,419 Posts
    • 524 Thanks
    sevenhills
    Just had my campervan MOT done and was shocked to hear that it had failed.
    According to the mechanic, who seems a genuine sort of chap, the pipe was corroded and burst during the test.

I drove the van to the test centre and the brakes seemed OK to me, so I guess it's just my bad luck that it burst now.
    Originally posted by WLM21

They would be likely to scrape the brake pipe to examine for rust, so that may have brought on the failure sooner.

• Nodding Donkey
    • By Nodding Donkey 10th Aug 18, 5:15 PM
    • 2,590 Posts
    • 2,190 Thanks
    Nodding Donkey
    • 10th Aug 18, 5:15 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 5:15 PM
    And they also brake harder than you normally would.

As someone else said, it's good luck.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 10th Aug 18, 5:19 PM
    • 1,901 Posts
    • 2,564 Thanks
    badmemory
    • 10th Aug 18, 5:19 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 5:19 PM
    Was it an MOT only station or do they do repairs?
    • WLM21
    • By WLM21 10th Aug 18, 5:28 PM
    • 1,103 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    WLM21
    • 10th Aug 18, 5:28 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 5:28 PM
    Originally posted by badmemory
    MOT only, but do some minor / small repairs

has agreed to fix tomorrow for me, so that's good

At least now I know to cycle there and just put the bike in the campervan for the journey home. 20,000 steps two days running will kill me .. maybe not but cycling is easier

Agree with all comments .. better failing there than out on the road
    • Soot2006
    • By Soot2006 10th Aug 18, 5:40 PM
    • 1,275 Posts
    • 1,298 Thanks
    Soot2006
    • 10th Aug 18, 5:40 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 5:40 PM
    Definitely Good Luck!

My old Bedford brakes failed about 100ft from my mechanic's forecourt lol while I was taking it there for an unrelated matter! Also good luck.
    • big mortgage
    • By big mortgage 10th Aug 18, 6:29 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    big mortgage
    Definitely good luck, it was clearlyr rusted and didn't have long left anyway!
    • Begsey
    • By Begsey 10th Aug 18, 7:05 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Begsey
    Had one go whilst they were carrying out an MOT before. They touched some corrosion, it fell off, and the pipe sprung a leak.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 10th Aug 18, 7:13 PM
    • 1,419 Posts
    • 524 Thanks
    sevenhills
    Originally posted by badmemory

I am sure some fail sometimes so that the MOT station get some work.
    I got quoted 170 for a balljoint replacement, that another garage did for 50, and I thought 50 was expensive, lol.

I cannot understand why brakepipes are made from a material that rusts.
    I had a recall on my 12 year old car this month, for a rear spoiler which could detatch; surely brake pipes are just as important.

• Robisere
    • By Robisere 10th Aug 18, 7:40 PM
    • 2,349 Posts
    • 3,169 Thanks
    Robisere
    I am sure some fail sometimes so that the MOT station get some work.
    I got quoted 170 for a balljoint replacement, that another garage did for 50, and I thought 50 was expensive, lol.

I cannot understand why brake pipes are made from a material that rusts.
    I had a recall on my 12 year old car this month, for a rear spoiler which could detatch; surely brake pipes are just as important.
    Originally posted by sevenhills

1: 50 is not expensive, 170 is, probably a Main Dealer?
    2: Most cars are manufactured with steel brake pipes. Within 3 years (often less) of use in winters and salted UK roads, steel corrodes. Replacement pipes fitted by every garage I have ever known as a mechanic and a workshop foreman since I began in the trade many years ago, are of a material known as "Cunifer" or "Kunifer" and is a Copper Alloy. Its surface corrodes in a very thin, hard green patina which resists corrosion for many years. The bonus for the fitter, is that kunifer is bendable and more able to be threaded through gaps in the underside, over suspension, exhaust and steering components. Thus saving time and labour.

The system then has to be bled of air, with new brake fluid added. Brake fluid is practically incompressible, air is not. Bleeding brakes needs either 2 mechanics or an expensive tool, to pump fluid around the system whilst the other watches the expelled fluid until all airis gone. It is also recommended (but rarely taken up) that the whole of the fluid is renewed: it does become corrupted and less compressible with time.

3: brake pipes ARE more important, but a detached spoiler is visible, pipes are not. If you are worried and keeping the car for some years, why not have them all changed anyway, for non-corroding kunifer?

Hope that answers your question.
    Last edited by Robisere; 10-08-2018 at 7:43 PM.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • sebloak
    • By sebloak 10th Aug 18, 7:49 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    sebloak
    I once had a Cat converter fall off minutes after passing an MOT.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 10th Aug 18, 8:32 PM
    • 3,003 Posts
    • 2,087 Thanks
    EssexExile
    My old Bedford brakes failed about 100ft from my mechanic's forecourt lol while I was taking it there for an unrelated matter! Also good luck.
    Originally posted by Soot2006
    How far had you gone past before it eventually stopped?
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 11th Aug 18, 1:36 AM
    • 1,419 Posts
    • 524 Thanks
    sevenhills
    2: Most cars are manufactured with steel brake pipes. Within 3 years (often less) of use in winters and salted UK roads, steel corrodes.
    Originally posted by Robisere

A replacement timing belt is recommended to be changed at 60,000 miles or 5+ years; is there a manufacturers recommended replacement time/mileage for brake pipes?

• sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 11th Aug 18, 1:38 AM
    • 1,419 Posts
    • 524 Thanks
    sevenhills
    Originally posted by Robisere

The MOT was 25, no it was not a main dealer, just a garage trying to make some money from a cheap MOT.

http://in-n-out.co.uk/

• AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 11th Aug 18, 1:59 AM
    • 2,066 Posts
    • 1,247 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    A replacement timing belt is recommended to be changed at 60,000 miles or 5+ years; is there a manufacturers recommended replacement time/mileage for brake pipes?
    Originally posted by sevenhills
    No............
    Hi there! Weve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youre unsure why its been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 11th Aug 18, 11:49 AM
    • 2,349 Posts
    • 3,169 Thanks
    Robisere
    No............
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....

Andy is correct, but it does not absolve any vehicle keeper/driver from ensuring his vehicle is fit for the road. I suggest that anyone worried about this, asks a local garage for an appointment to inspect the underside on a ramp or lift. There will be a small charge and you should use a garage you trust. I used to do this for customers on request, with older cars, although I really suspect that pipes should not corrode in quantity before first MOT. IME, It is usually the pipes that hang out under the chassis, or live within wheel arches that are splashed with road muck, water and salt, which go first.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

318Posts Today

4,124Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin