Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gonnadoit
    • By Gonnadoit 10th Aug 18, 4:38 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 16Thanks
    Gonnadoit
    Getting my act together !
    • 10th Aug 18, 4:38 PM
    Getting my act together ! 10th Aug 18 at 4:38 PM
    Needs must and am joining and writing on her for help and tips.
    Currently owe
    CC1 3450
    CC2 3900
    CC3 9970

Have been struggling to pay the minimum payments for the last few months but have now got myself a job and am hoping to be able to pay off 600 a month. Using a snowball app I should be debt free in 35 months!

Literally only just starting to take control of my spending and debts so any help and tips would be much appreciated.

Thank you
Page 1
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Aug 18, 4:52 PM
    • 57,385 Posts
    • 234,907 Thanks
    beanielou
    • 10th Aug 18, 4:52 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 4:52 PM
    Just popping in to say hello & welcome to MSE.
    Hope the new job goes well.
    Happy shiny new diary
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • Gonnadoit
    • By Gonnadoit 10th Aug 18, 10:07 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Gonnadoit
    • 10th Aug 18, 10:07 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 10:07 PM
    Thank you. Am 2 weeks into my new job and loving it and a pay rise will be coming in September which will make me love it even more lol.

Bitten the bullet and made a good start in getting everything in order, have e closed down all the gambling sites I had been using (which accounts for half of the debt !! ) and have put a stop on the credit cards so I cannot spend anything on them anymore.

My main focus at the minute is to get the nuba credit card cleared which is 3450 at the minute, according to the snowball plan it should take 12 months to get this one cleared, am going to challenge myself to get it cleared it 10 months.

Have opened a new bank account to keep my bills and what I can spend each month separate, and am going to stay writing myself a shopping list when I go shopping , i normally have a meal plan for the week and a list in my head but I always add this and spend more.

Also an eBay clear out it on the cards, the kids have so many toys and most they don't play with and both have birthdays and Christmas coming up so no doubt are going to get more, so am going to have a sort out and a listing spree.

So that's day 1 of getting my act together and am determined and rating to go and get this debt cleared.
    • pidge04
    • By pidge04 11th Aug 18, 8:53 AM
    • 478 Posts
    • 1,294 Thanks
    pidge04
    • 11th Aug 18, 8:53 AM
    • 11th Aug 18, 8:53 AM
    Well done for putting a stop on your credit cards and for closing down the gambling sites. Love a good eBay clear out! You sound determined. Glad you are enjoying your job. Have you done a SOA for yourself? You are off to a flying start.
    CC1 2400/422 CC2 3000/2269 CC3 600/233 LOAN 13,000/5235
    • Gonnadoit
    • By Gonnadoit 11th Aug 18, 7:53 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Gonnadoit
    • 11th Aug 18, 7:53 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 7:53 PM
    Very determined, it made me feel so good closing then down knowing I can't use them again. I love eBay but get a bit obsessed checking bids and watchers lol but it's better to be hooked on that then on the gambling sites. I haven't done am SO A but I have got a super spreadsheet on the go.

Have been out all day today at sundown with the little people, grandma bought us the tickets the other week so we went today, took a pack up and apart from, 5.40 for 4 twister lollies I haven't spent a thing , so a super cheap day which is a good thing as my bank balance is currently nearly empty until Monday when the child benefit goes in.

Day 2 of getting my act together done and dusted and it's time for wine :-)
    • Gonnadoit
    • By Gonnadoit 12th Aug 18, 4:07 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Gonnadoit
    • 12th Aug 18, 4:07 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 4:07 PM
    Not the best start to a planned relaxing sunday, I dont know how but the amount i thought i owed on the nuba card was wrong and its not 3450 its, 3516.85 , big sad face. But it has been a NSD:-)

This is the one I am concentrating on at the minute as it is the one with the highest interest , have increased the monthly payment to 270, which is an extra 150 on top on the minimum payment and also hoping once I get into the swing of budgeting to pay off any extra money I have at the end of the month.
    Also have just had my first eBay sale which after fees and postage was 22.00 So am going to pay that straight off the nuba card.

The only thing worrying me at the minute is regards to budgeting is that everything goes in and out all at different times of the month ,
    Child benefit goes in tomorrow, then every 4 weeks
    Tax credits a week on Monday, then every 4 week
    Money from partners wage on the 21st of every month
    And then my wages every 4 weeks starting on the 31st August.

All the direct debits come out between the 21st and 30th of each month, I was hoping to use the tax credits and child benefit and partners wages to pay the bills and the credit card payments and my wages for the weekly living expense, but I'm going to have to wait another 3 weeks for my wages so unsure what to do at the minute.

Another day down and the debt is slightly down with the eBay funds so it's not all bad.
    • Gonnadoit
    • By Gonnadoit 13th Aug 18, 11:10 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Gonnadoit
    • 13th Aug 18, 11:10 AM
    • 13th Aug 18, 11:10 AM
    A productive Monday so far !
    Have posted the item I sold on eBay and the postage was a little but more than I thought but after fees been paid I have 20.00 which I have just paid off the CC and it's now under 3500 yayyyyy.
    Have decided to put it back to the minimum payment for this month, to enable me to get on top of everything with different payments in and out, and shall make a payment once everything has been paid in.

Have set up a standing order for 50.00 to go into an emergency fund and 20.00 to go into a savings account, first payments been the 1st September as I get paid on the 31st. Have also got my details for me new account which i am going to use for weekly shopping and petrol, and have set up a standing order for 90.00 every week, with anything left over at the end of each week been paid onto the credit card.

It's going to be another NSD as it is chucking it down with rain here so it's a cosy film time and craft day for us today.

Need to sort out the cupboards and the freezer to see what we have go use and make a meal plan and a shopping list. Also need to have a clear out and get some more things listed on eBay.

Am setting myself a small challenge to get CC1 under 2500 by Christmas , fingers crossed.
    • Gonnadoit
    • By Gonnadoit 13th Aug 18, 11:13 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Gonnadoit
    • 13th Aug 18, 11:13 AM
    • 13th Aug 18, 11:13 AM
    Just seeing if my new signature worked lol
    CC1 3496.85/3516.85 - to be under 2500 by Christmas
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,970Posts Today

7,660Users online

Martin's Twitter