Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jack tyler
    • By jack tyler 10th Aug 18, 4:22 PM
    • 32Posts
    • 5Thanks
    jack tyler
    0 WOW
    Caribbean Cruise
    • 10th Aug 18, 4:22 PM
    0 WOW
    Caribbean Cruise 10th Aug 18 at 4:22 PM
    Hello everyone, really some help as I feel like a fish out of water.

In November of this year, me and my son are going on a cruise. This will be our first holiday away since 2011, and our first holiday without my husband since 2014, so it is very bitter sweet to say the least, but as a cruise is something that me and my late husband had discussed wanting to do, I thought why not.

Anyway, everything is booked, deposit paid and remainder of payment is due by the end of this month, however I am still confused about a few things. We are catching the ship at Fort Lauderdale, and the next port of call after this is Ponce in Puerto Rico, so I have been told that I need to get a Visa for myself and my son. What I want to know is, do I need to get a seperate Visa for each port that I need one for or does one Visa cover everything? A representative from the company who I have booked the cruise with has said that they are not really allowed to advise any more because of some new regulation, but has told me to either go on the citbvisas or gov.com to find out whether I need 2 or 4.

Also I have received a phone call this morning from the travel agent saying that the flight times have changed. This isn't a problem as the first part of the flight (Man to Philadelphia) has only changed by about 30+mins, but the next flight (Philadelphia to Fort Lauderdale) has changed by +6hrs!!. Originally it would get us into Fort Lauderdale by 18.30, now it won't get us in until 23.47. So that means from when we land in Philadelphia at 14.15, we will be hanging around until 20.50!!....and I have already been told that this is the only flight going into Fort Lauderdale on the day that we are travelling. So in regards to this compensation for flight delays, is this something that I could claim for?

Thanks
Page 1
    • Neil49
    • By Neil49 10th Aug 18, 5:35 PM
    • 1,401 Posts
    • 698 Thanks
    Neil49
    • 10th Aug 18, 5:35 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 5:35 PM
    I'm not very impressed with the service of your travel agent as they seem to be passing the buck when it comes to giving advice on your holiday.

For the USA you need to apply for an ESTA for each person travelling.

You should use the official US website and the cost is $14 each. The website is -

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

There are numerous websites trying to rip you off so if the cost is more than $14 don't proceed any further.

Also, make sure that your passports are valid for more than 6 months after your intended date of return to the UK.

Puerto Rico is part of the USA but as it isn't one of the 50 states you don't need a visa to visit.

Do a search for all the other ports of call to check visa requirements but most islands don't require them to be obtained in advance.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 10th Aug 18, 7:15 PM
    • 687 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    • 10th Aug 18, 7:15 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 7:15 PM
    You'll need an ESTA to enter the continental USA to join the ship in Ft. Lauderdale - so you are covered for other US territories etc.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,477Posts Today

8,139Users online

Martin's Twitter