Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jrowe
    • By Jrowe 10th Aug 18, 4:12 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Jrowe
    Someone else's address
    • 10th Aug 18, 4:12 PM
    Someone else's address 10th Aug 18 at 4:12 PM
    My brother used my mother's address to get his mortgage although he has never lived there and did it without permission. Is this legal and can my mother get into trouble?
Page 1
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 10th Aug 18, 4:15 PM
    • 63,603 Posts
    • 372,452 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 10th Aug 18, 4:15 PM
    Your mother cannot get into trouble.

It is possible that he did it to hide something bad from the lender, so they wouldn't discover a bad credit rating, or a big debt - in which case, if discovered, he'd be harming his own future lending potential.

No worries for your mother though if she didn't know, or didn't know what he was using it for.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 10th Aug 18, 4:15 PM
    • 935 Posts
    • 1,139 Thanks
    need an answer
    More info needed,

Documents sent there or raised a mortgage on the property address?

Has mother been coerced into signing anything?
    in S 34 T 54 F 56
    out S 51 T 52 F 54
    2017 -32
    • sal_III
    • By sal_III 10th Aug 18, 5:33 PM
    • 574 Posts
    • 560 Thanks
    sal_III
    • 10th Aug 18, 5:33 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 5:33 PM
    It's not uncommon for children that rent and move often, to keep their parent's address for bank statements etc. since this forms part of their credit file, it's normal to give this address when applying for mortgage.

was that the case?
    • Jrowe
    • By Jrowe 10th Aug 18, 6:30 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jrowe
    • 10th Aug 18, 6:30 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 6:30 PM
    He only started using my mother's address after he got divorced he lives with his girlfriend but doesn't use her address and has never lived at my mother's address.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 10th Aug 18, 7:26 PM
    • 935 Posts
    • 1,139 Thanks
    need an answer
    • 10th Aug 18, 7:26 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 7:26 PM
    So presumably your mum keeps the post for him and gives it to him when she see's him.

She may not have given "permission" for him to use the address but it seems like she doesn't mind that much else she would return the items received as "not at this address"

Not sure why you think she may get into trouble although if I were a betting person I would say your brother doesn't live with his girlfriend officially so she can claim some benefit or other as a single person.

No doubt bits will be drip fed to the thread at a later stage....
    in S 34 T 54 F 56
    out S 51 T 52 F 54
    2017 -32
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,785Posts Today

8,473Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin