Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bacon Sandwich
    • By Bacon Sandwich 10th Aug 18, 2:53 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 22Thanks
    Bacon Sandwich
    Is it worth changing solicitors? Searches already done.
    • 10th Aug 18, 2:53 PM
    Is it worth changing solicitors? Searches already done. 10th Aug 18 at 2:53 PM
    In a nutshell: if I'm buying a house, and for whatever reason I change solicitor, can the results of the searches which have been carried out (that i have paper copies of) be carried over? Or will the searches need to be paid for and done again?

Thanks.
Page 1
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 10th Aug 18, 3:08 PM
    • 1,666 Posts
    • 2,219 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    • 10th Aug 18, 3:08 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 3:08 PM
    In a nutshell: if I'm buying a house, and for whatever reason I change solicitor, can the results of the searches which have been carried out (that i have paper copies of) be carried over? Or will the searches need to be paid for and done again?

Thanks.
    Originally posted by Bacon Sandwich
    How old the search results are is more important than which specific solicitor ordered them. If the results were returned more than 12 weeks ago, and you require a mortgage, then you'll probably have to get them done again. if they're fairly recent then it's probably fine to give them to the new solicitor.
    • Bacon Sandwich
    • By Bacon Sandwich 10th Aug 18, 3:22 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Bacon Sandwich
    • 10th Aug 18, 3:22 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 3:22 PM
    Thanks for the reply, thats very helpful.
    The searches are recent - 2 weeks old.
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 10th Aug 18, 3:33 PM
    • 1,089 Posts
    • 1,122 Thanks
    Margot123
    • 10th Aug 18, 3:33 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 3:33 PM
    Do you not have any faith in your current solicitor?

Just wondering as sometimes issues can appear to be coming from our own solicitors when in fact they are out of their control.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 10th Aug 18, 4:04 PM
    • 957 Posts
    • 1,167 Thanks
    need an answer
    • 10th Aug 18, 4:04 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 4:04 PM
    You should be able to use the existing documents ,however choose your new solicitor carefully as they may want to charge more for taking on a new instruction to them but midway from your point of view.

You will probably find you are still quoted a block figure that includes preparing all the searches even if they are not actually doing the work for it....however this could still work out cheaper than taking the non standard approach of paying by the hour.

Your existing solicitor whom you leave will also probably want a portion of their admin fees dependant on how far down the conveyancing route you are.

That could typically be 50% of the original agreed cost for example.
    in S 38 T 62 F 59
    out S 56 T 64 F 67
    2017 -32
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

81Posts Today

2,648Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @GillsSarah: Interesting! I always used to buy big name products cos I thought they?d be stronger. @MartinSLewis has changed my mind on?

• RT @think_jessica: Think Jessica the Film 30 min doc/drama based on my mother?s true story. Narrated by @MartinSLewis is now live on https:?

• RT @kelsher123: @MartinSLewis First time switcher! And no, it wasn?t as challenging as I thought???? A British Gas customer so no brainier. Th?

• Follow Martin