Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • firsttimequandry
    • By firsttimequandry 10th Aug 18, 2:50 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    firsttimequandry
    Can't get a mortgage for our circumstances!
    • 10th Aug 18, 2:50 PM
    Can't get a mortgage for our circumstances! 10th Aug 18 at 2:50 PM
    I'm a first-time buyer and very new to the process but I'm in an unusual situation that all the lenders I've spoken to aren't happy to loan on...

I'm buying with a friend, we have a deposit and my friend wants to live in the property we buy but I do not - I want to rent out my half and continue renting where I'm living now.

Why is this so hard to get a deal on?

HSBC said they'd consider us if we bought a three bedroom as we'd only be technically renting out a 'spare' room.

Help!

Extra info: we're in London, looking at around 325,000 and have about 15% of that as a deposit. Both work full time and combined salary is 80k+
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 10th Aug 18, 2:52 PM
    • 5,848 Posts
    • 6,086 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 10th Aug 18, 2:52 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 2:52 PM
    Because you're asking to mix a residential and non residential property, paid for by a residential mortgage.

In addition you seem to want to be a landlord for some reason...
    • firsttimequandry
    • By firsttimequandry 10th Aug 18, 2:55 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    firsttimequandry
    • 10th Aug 18, 2:55 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 2:55 PM
    True - I live with my partner but my friend is single. I don't want to make profit from a tenant just cover (or mostly cover) my mortgage. I just didn't realise it would be this unusual
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 10th Aug 18, 2:56 PM
    • 6,896 Posts
    • 15,037 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 10th Aug 18, 2:56 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 2:56 PM
    True - I live with my partner but my friend is single. I don't want to make profit from a tenant just cover (or mostly cover) my mortgage. I just didn't realise it would be this unusual
    Originally posted by firsttimequandry
    By covering your mortgage you are gaining an asset which is a a profit.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 10th Aug 18, 2:58 PM
    • 5,848 Posts
    • 6,086 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 10th Aug 18, 2:58 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 2:58 PM
    I don't know if you'll make a profit or not, but the tax man will
    • firsttimequandry
    • By firsttimequandry 10th Aug 18, 3:03 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    firsttimequandry
    • 10th Aug 18, 3:03 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 3:03 PM
    By covering your mortgage you are gaining an asset which is a a profit.
    Originally posted by marliepanda
    yes exactly! Sorry bad phrasing from me, what I meant was I wasn't intending to charge (London) market rates to a tenant.

I think we might just give it up as a bad idea as there doesn't seem to be a workaround
    • sal_III
    • By sal_III 10th Aug 18, 4:01 PM
    • 670 Posts
    • 681 Thanks
    sal_III
    • 10th Aug 18, 4:01 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 4:01 PM
    yes exactly! Sorry bad phrasing from me, what I meant was I wasn't intending to charge (London) market rates to a tenant.

I think we might just give it up as a bad idea as there doesn't seem to be a workaround
    Buying a property with a friend is always a bad idea, no matter the circumstances.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,890Posts Today

7,560Users online

Martin's Twitter