Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nespressos
    • By Nespressos 10th Aug 18, 1:04 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Nespressos
    High PAYE and NI taxes
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:04 PM
    High PAYE and NI taxes 10th Aug 18 at 1:04 PM
    Hi everyone,
    I hope this is the right place to post this
    I'm a student, was a full time college student and will be starting uni in september.
    I've been working 35 hours per week through college (was over 18 when I started college), and am now working more in order to be able to support myself at university.

I've just recieved my paycheck and I've worked just over 95 hours in the last fortnight. My PAYE tax is 105 and my NI is 78.
    Is this about right? It feels like an awful lot, that equates to 22 of my 95 hours being unpaid.
    I've read all income under 11k a year is tax free, however I am earning above that.
    Does anyone have any suggestions or is this just one of those "just accept it, taxes suck." things?
Page 1
    • chrisbur
    • By chrisbur 10th Aug 18, 2:07 PM
    • 3,034 Posts
    • 1,651 Thanks
    chrisbur
    • 10th Aug 18, 2:07 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 2:07 PM
    Hi everyone,
    I hope this is the right place to post this
    I'm a student, was a full time college student and will be starting uni in september.
    I've been working 35 hours per week through college (was over 18 when I started college), and am now working more in order to be able to support myself at university.

I've just recieved my paycheck and I've worked just over 95 hours in the last fortnight. My PAYE tax is 105 and my NI is 78.
    Is this about right? It feels like an awful lot, that equates to 22 of my 95 hours being unpaid.
    I've read all income under 11k a year is tax free, however I am earning above that.
    Does anyone have any suggestions or is this just one of those "just accept it, taxes suck." things?
    Originally posted by Nespressos

To check properly you do need to give exact figures (ie to the penny not rounded) and tax code.

Taxable gross
    Tax paid
    Tax code and basis (usually follows code)
    NI paid

To check tax position to date need also

Taxable pay to date
    Tax paid to date
    week number or date of payment.

Have done a possible explanation in post 6
    Last edited by chrisbur; 10-08-2018 at 6:55 PM. Reason: Added post 6
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 10th Aug 18, 5:04 PM
    • 21,726 Posts
    • 17,607 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 10th Aug 18, 5:04 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 5:04 PM
    If you are on NLW of 7.83 per hour and you work 95 hours every fortnight and have done so for the entire tax year then you would be paying tax of around 57 and NI of 50. So you may be paying too much, but as chris says, the actual figures are needed to give a proper answer.
    • JR1987
    • By JR1987 10th Aug 18, 5:07 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    JR1987
    • 10th Aug 18, 5:07 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 5:07 PM
    Whats the tax code on your payslip?

It might be incorrect or you might be 'emergency taxed' which happens sometimes when people join a new company. Either way, any overpaid tax is recoupable, so you'll get back all the money your owed eventually.
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 10th Aug 18, 5:45 PM
    • 3,315 Posts
    • 1,678 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 10th Aug 18, 5:45 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 5:45 PM
    The emergency tax code is exactly the same as the standard code most people have.

The difference is that you don't get the benefit of unused allowances from earlier in the (tax) year.

So an emergency code doesn't mean you pay more than would normally.
    • chrisbur
    • By chrisbur 10th Aug 18, 6:53 PM
    • 3,034 Posts
    • 1,651 Thanks
    chrisbur
    • 10th Aug 18, 6:53 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 6:53 PM
    Hopefully the OP will come up with the full details to see what is happening but on what is known so far.
    OP is paid two weekly and paid 78 NI.
    Almost certainly paying NI at A rate which equates to a gross of about 975
    If we assume tax code of 1185L then on 975 for two weeks we get a tax figure of about 104
    If we assume the OP has rounded figures a bit then their tax of 105 fits their NI figure of 78

Cannot understand how this equates to working 22 hours for the cost of the tax and NI though, unless possibly they are looking at the cost of 22 basic hours and the 95 hours had some overtime enhancement.

Full figures will hopefully appear soon, but on the evidence so far these deductions are probably correct.
    Last edited by chrisbur; 11-08-2018 at 8:30 AM.
    • pjwhit
    • By pjwhit 13th Aug 18, 10:25 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    pjwhit
    • 13th Aug 18, 10:25 AM
    • 13th Aug 18, 10:25 AM
    Hi everyone,
    Originally posted by Nespressos
    Yep, taxes suck, having to pay money towards any potential future unemployment, free healthcare, public services etc etc

Its no good this working malarky
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,459Posts Today

8,111Users online

Martin's Twitter