Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gers
    • By Gers 10th Aug 18, 12:58 PM
    • 6,836Posts
    • 45,204Thanks
    Gers
    Protein yoghurt
    • 10th Aug 18, 12:58 PM
    Protein yoghurt 10th Aug 18 at 12:58 PM
    Afternoon-

My elderly and frail DM has been hospitalised twice since 25 June for a sustained AF which is now stabilised with drugs.

She has been told by medics to eat high protein food (she's been bed bound since the end of June and is has lost not only weight but muscle mass) to build herself back up. This advice has included high protein yoghurt like Skyr etc.

These types of yogurt all seem to be low / zero fat, my DM needs full fat dairy.

Is there a yoghurt out 'there' which is full fat and high protein?

Thanks
Page 1
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 10th Aug 18, 1:15 PM
    • 2,979 Posts
    • 3,143 Thanks
    Stoke
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:15 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:15 PM
    Hi Gers,

This isn't everyone, but I really suggest giving it a try and experimenting. There's a somewhat flavourless product called Quark. It's soft cheese, 100% fat free, uber high in protein. On it's own, it's not much use, but you can add it into meals etc. A member of my SW group mentioned mixing cordial in. I tried with Vimto sugar free, sugar free orange, sugar free apple etc. It changes the texture from a thick cheese like texture into a smooth yoghurt like texture and is very pleasant to eat...... plus uber high protein, no fat etc.

Give it a try. It might not work for you or you might not like it, but it's ideal for me, so I figured I'd recommend it.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 10th Aug 18, 1:28 PM
    • 6,836 Posts
    • 45,204 Thanks
    Gers
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:28 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:28 PM
    Hi Gers,

This isn't everyone, but I really suggest giving it a try and experimenting. There's a somewhat flavourless product called Quark. It's soft cheese, 100% fat free, uber high in protein. On it's own, it's not much use, but you can add it into meals etc. A member of my SW group mentioned mixing cordial in. I tried with Vimto sugar free, sugar free orange, sugar free apple etc. It changes the texture from a thick cheese like texture into a smooth yoghurt like texture and is very pleasant to eat...... plus uber high protein, no fat etc.

Give it a try. It might not work for you or you might not like it, but it's ideal for me, so I figured I'd recommend it.
    Originally posted by Stoke
    Thanks for that - my DM is German and knows Quark well, we used to have it for breakfast mixed with fruits.

She needs full fat and high protein.
    • Kunoichi73
    • By Kunoichi73 10th Aug 18, 1:36 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    Kunoichi73
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:36 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:36 PM
    Use the quark with some fruit and add some full fat Greek yoghurt. I often add this to my muesli with a good dash of cinnamon.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 10th Aug 18, 1:43 PM
    • 6,836 Posts
    • 45,204 Thanks
    Gers
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:43 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:43 PM
    Use the quark with some fruit and add some full fat Greek yoghurt. I often add this to my muesli with a good dash of cinnamon.
    Originally posted by Kunoichi73
    That seems a good option - thanks.

Did some digging and found Fage Total yoghurt which may do the trick once the Skyr pot is finished.

Fage Total, 7-oz container
    Calories 190
    Fat 10 g
    Saturated Fat 7 g
    Sugar 8 g
    Protein 18 g
    • Kunoichi73
    • By Kunoichi73 10th Aug 18, 1:47 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    Kunoichi73
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:47 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:47 PM
    Fage is yummy! If money is an issue, the supermarket own brands are good, but often don't have as much protein in them.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 10th Aug 18, 1:50 PM
    • 6,836 Posts
    • 45,204 Thanks
    Gers
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:50 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:50 PM
    Fage is yummy! If money is an issue, the supermarket own brands are good, but often don't have as much protein in them.
    Originally posted by Kunoichi73
    Thanks.

https://www.eatthis.com/best-full-fat-yogurt-weight-loss/

Think the 10% Fage is not available in the UK, can only find 5% stock. Back to adding in Greek yoghurt or FF cream.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 10th Aug 18, 1:51 PM
    • 30,128 Posts
    • 77,424 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:51 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:51 PM
    Would something like pea protein powder be useful?

It can be added to all sorts of other foods.
    • Kunoichi73
    • By Kunoichi73 10th Aug 18, 2:00 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    Kunoichi73
    • 10th Aug 18, 2:00 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 2:00 PM
    Thanks.

https://www.eatthis.com/best-full-fat-yogurt-weight-loss/

Think the 10% Fage is not available in the UK, can only find 5% stock. Back to adding in Greek yoghurt or FF cream.
    Originally posted by Gers
    They must have changed what they supply to the UK market because last time I bought the Fage, it was about 9% fat.

Would something like pea protein powder be useful?

It can be added to all sorts of other foods.
    Originally posted by Mojisola
    That would be another option, or a reasonable whey protein - but don't buy an expensive one from the Supermarkets or Holland and Barrett, buy it from somewhere like My Protein or Bulk Powders. If you get an unflavoured one, you can add your own flavours to it (coffee powder, Nesquik, fruit juice etc). Unflavoured whey with pineapple juice is nice - add cream (or coconut cream) for more fat.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 10th Aug 18, 5:07 PM
    • 2,979 Posts
    • 3,143 Thanks
    Stoke
    Does it matter what kind of fat? Is she simply aiming to gain weight?
    • Gers
    • By Gers 10th Aug 18, 5:20 PM
    • 6,836 Posts
    • 45,204 Thanks
    Gers
    Does it matter what kind of fat? Is she simply aiming to gain weight?
    Originally posted by Stoke
    Yes, she needs to gain weight and strength. She's not a great meat eater, not veggie though.
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 10th Aug 18, 5:26 PM
    • 16,993 Posts
    • 283,514 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    Fage total Greek yogurt 5% is full fat
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator and as such do not read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forum@moneysavingexpert.com

I used to be a queen, now I'm just me...
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 10th Aug 18, 7:45 PM
    • 8,937 Posts
    • 10,354 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    Double cream is 48% fat content.

You can whizz it up with some fruit and protein powder.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ketorecipes/comments/1hhx2f/protein_shake_with_heavy_cream/

https://www.uk-muscle.co.uk/topic/138156-protein-shake-scoop-thick-double-cream-low-carb/

Mascarpone is also about 50% fat and 3-6% protein, add some to cream or cheese sauces etc. Something like steamed fish with a mascarpone-based cheese sauce would be quite light and tasty, but high in protein and fat. Wrap in puff or filo pastry to make a pasty or savoury mille-feuille if you want to add some carbs.

A dollop of cream in porridge for breakfast, another dollop on a scone for afternoon tea, maybe another dollop in a hot chocolate at bedtime.

Old cookery books had entire sections on 'invalid cookery' comprising light digestible meals for building you up in convalescence. The modern equivalent is food fortification / fortified diet and there are guides and recipes online eg this one (intended for care homes, but relevant) or this one
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • pandora205
    • By pandora205 10th Aug 18, 7:58 PM
    • 2,825 Posts
    • 2,671 Thanks
    pandora205
    How about making smoothies with nut butter and pea protein added to almond or cows milk, Greek and banana (with or without berry fruit)?
    somewhere between Heaven and Woolworth's
    • anitawilliams
    • By anitawilliams 11th Aug 18, 10:40 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    anitawilliams
    Thanks for that link Gers.
    • wouldbeqaulitymoneysaver2
    • By wouldbeqaulitymoneysaver2 11th Aug 18, 11:06 AM
    • 106 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    wouldbeqaulitymoneysaver2
    This demonizing of fat is done by industry to stop blame being put on sugar refined carbs industries taking the blame for processed food I'll health.
    I love fat and fat keeps me from becoming hungry.
    Unfortunately I will be misunderstood by low fat fat demonizing lobby and will be branded unhealthy.
    I love my food,eat real food with shameless amounts of butter and cream plus fat on meat yummy.
    Apparently fat help keep my skin young that along with water,milk,coffee tea imbibing plus an honest indulgence of what I fancy ie all that bad stuff!
    • UKTigerlily
    • By UKTigerlily 12th Aug 18, 12:36 AM
    • 4,449 Posts
    • 5,608 Thanks
    UKTigerlily
    I'd avoid dairy like the plague, it's so wrong that even Dr's say it's good for preventing Osteoporosis etc when it's likely to cause it & unbiased studies back that up. I'd personally avoid any animal based products and go for high protein plantbased, after all, protein originally comes from plants. Sad to say, the person i'd least take nutrition advice from is a medic, as they still push meat for protein, dairy for calcium etc to cause disease as pharmaceuticals is big business

Look into unbiased studies eg The China Study or read How not to die
    • Floss
    • By Floss 12th Aug 18, 9:38 AM
    • 4,902 Posts
    • 45,651 Thanks
    Floss
    I'd avoid dairy like the plague, it's so wrong that even Dr's say it's good for preventing Osteoporosis etc when it's likely to cause it & unbiased studies back that up. I'd personally avoid any animal based products and go for high protein plantbased, after all, protein originally comes from plants. Sad to say, the person i'd least take nutrition advice from is a medic, as they still push meat for protein, dairy for calcium etc to cause disease as pharmaceuticals is big business

Look into unbiased studies eg The China Study or read How not to die
    Originally posted by UKTigerlily
    I think that the above isn't really relevant for the OPs mum, who is quite mature, and normally independent in relatively good health for her years. I doubt that she will be creating work for the pharma companies
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 12th Aug 18, 10:07 AM
    • 6,736 Posts
    • 12,214 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    If you can get a copy of the Glasgow Cookery book from the library it has a section on recipes for helping an invalid recover (its an old school text book that they still update and print).
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • Floss
    • By Floss 12th Aug 18, 10:40 AM
    • 4,902 Posts
    • 45,651 Thanks
    Floss
    If you can get a copy of the Glasgow Cookery book from the library it has a section on recipes for helping an invalid recover (its an old school text book that they still update and print).
    Originally posted by GlasweJen
    Gers I have a copy if you'd like to borrow it? xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,839Posts Today

7,400Users online

Martin's Twitter