Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • adolphin10
    • By adolphin10 10th Aug 18, 12:39 PM
    • 54Posts
    • 34Thanks
    adolphin10
    Cancelled More than Black Box insurance
    • 10th Aug 18, 12:39 PM
    Cancelled More than Black Box insurance 10th Aug 18 at 12:39 PM
    Hi

My son has just had his insurance cancelled by More Than due to 'unacceptable speeding' He has cruise control so very rarely goes over the speed limit but I don't think we can fight this so does anyone have any advice of a good insurer he could try now or do we have a huge problem?

many thanks
Page 1
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 10th Aug 18, 12:43 PM
    • 59,517 Posts
    • 52,823 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 10th Aug 18, 12:43 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 12:43 PM
    Speed limitor may have been a better option than cruise control.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 10th Aug 18, 1:03 PM
    • 36,839 Posts
    • 20,978 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:03 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:03 PM
    He may find it difficult to get any online quotes from mainline Insurers now he has a cancelled policy to disclose. (,Not only to insurers he approaches but any other Insurers he is insured with as a named driver

If so, see if a local broker (not Swinton) can help
    • adolphin10
    • By adolphin10 10th Aug 18, 1:20 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    adolphin10
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:20 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:20 PM
    thanks I will get him to try - I am also checking if they gave an idea of dates as he has actually been away recently so the car was in an airport car park!
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 10th Aug 18, 1:36 PM
    • 5,243 Posts
    • 3,178 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:36 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:36 PM
    thanks I will get him to try - I am also checking if they gave an idea of dates as he has actually been away recently so the car was in an airport car park!
    Originally posted by adolphin10
    It is worth checking this up if he had some form of valet parking/drop off deal as the driver could have been speeding but more likely he was speeding a lot and didn't admit it to you, I doubt they would cancel it for 1-2 driving issues, more a persistent unwillingness to obey the limits.

I can set my cruise control at any speed I like, it's not there to stop you speeding (beyond helping you stick to the limit in an average speed area where it's more important)
    • adolphin10
    • By adolphin10 10th Aug 18, 2:01 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    adolphin10
    • 10th Aug 18, 2:01 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 2:01 PM
    It is worth checking this up if he had some form of valet parking/drop off deal as the driver could have been speeding but more likely he was speeding a lot and didn't admit it to you, I doubt they would cancel it for 1-2 driving issues, more a persistent unwillingness to obey the limits.

I can set my cruise control at any speed I like, it's not there to stop you speeding (beyond helping you stick to the limit in an average speed area where it's more important)
    Originally posted by Nasqueron

Many thanks - there have been many times when he has come home though and then complained that the app says he is speeding and he says he wasn't on that journey - in all honesty he only ever drives around 20 miles locally per day - not much change to get up to the speed limit most of the time and of course he could be lying now but I don't think so - he could be mistaken and not have noticed though but there are a lot of posts online about marginal speeding (eg 1-2 miles over the limit) causing cancellation.

And of course I understand about the cruise control but he sets it at the speed limit when possible - he is a very good driver so I am just surprised (now if it was his sister that would be no shock!)

He has found a quote with LVE for 2000 for a year so we shall follow up on that tomorrow
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 10th Aug 18, 2:48 PM
    • 5,243 Posts
    • 3,178 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 10th Aug 18, 2:48 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 2:48 PM
    Many thanks - there have been many times when he has come home though and then complained that the app says he is speeding and he says he wasn't on that journey - in all honesty he only ever drives around 20 miles locally per day - not much change to get up to the speed limit most of the time and of course he could be lying now but I don't think so - he could be mistaken and not have noticed though but there are a lot of posts online about marginal speeding (eg 1-2 miles over the limit) causing cancellation.

And of course I understand about the cruise control but he sets it at the speed limit when possible - he is a very good driver so I am just surprised (now if it was his sister that would be no shock!)

He has found a quote with LVE for 2000 for a year so we shall follow up on that tomorrow
    Perhaps your son is not suited to driving - a limit is a limit not a target, if he can't stick to it, go lower. If he believes the app is wrong and he's genuinely doing 30 in a 30, why doesn't he drive at 28 and report this fault to the insurer?

Unfortunately you may have to accept your son is lying to you about the speed he is doing, the app will not be recording over the limit (and/or will have built in tolerances). For reference, the speedometer by law must show a speed at or over the actual speed, it cannot read under e.g. it can show 70 when you are doing 65 but cannot show 65 when you are doing 70.

A GPS is more accurate than the speedometer particularly over a distance so if he is doing 31mph (shown on the car) he's likely doing 27-28mph, if the app says he is speeding even at 32mph, his speedometer would be showing 35-36mph.

Have you got a quote from LVE stating yes to the question "have you ever had insurance cancelled"? He will have to declare this cancellation for years and it will always be higher because of this.
    Last edited by Nasqueron; 10-08-2018 at 2:53 PM.
    • stator
    • By stator 10th Aug 18, 6:45 PM
    • 6,438 Posts
    • 4,286 Thanks
    stator
    • 10th Aug 18, 6:45 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 6:45 PM
    Could be the wrong speed limit programmed into the black box.
    Ask them for the location of the breeches
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • rudekid48
    • By rudekid48 10th Aug 18, 7:49 PM
    • 2,095 Posts
    • 3,578 Thanks
    rudekid48
    • 10th Aug 18, 7:49 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 7:49 PM
    For them to cancel he would need to have driven at 100mph or exceeded the speed limit by >50% on a number of occasions. Doing 1 or 2 mph over the limit would not result in cancellation.
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
    • rudekid48
    • By rudekid48 10th Aug 18, 7:53 PM
    • 2,095 Posts
    • 3,578 Thanks
    rudekid48
    Could be the wrong speed limit programmed into the black box.
    Ask them for the location of the breeches
    Originally posted by stator
    Speed limits are not programmed into black boxes. They are held in various databases and checked using the gps coordinates transmitted from the box.
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
    • angrycrow
    • By angrycrow 11th Aug 18, 11:46 AM
    • 542 Posts
    • 394 Thanks
    angrycrow
    Is this an actual black box wired to the car or a mobile phone app that triggers automatically.

If mobile phone app it is not unheard of for them to pick up train journeys when the train line runs alongside a road, you then get recorded doing 90 mph.
    • adolphin10
    • By adolphin10 11th Aug 18, 1:24 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    adolphin10
    Many thanks all. Apparently he was doing 55 in a 40 along a road where doing 40 is dangerous but what can you do

We have spoken to LV and gone with them as they are only 2000 for a year without a black box because they don't care about a cancelled insurance when it is because of the black box so we are relieved at least
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 11th Aug 18, 2:47 PM
    • 36,839 Posts
    • 20,978 Thanks
    Quentin
    Ask them to confirm that the cancelled policy has been disclosed to them and the response they gave him.

He will need to disclose this cancellation to other insurers he approaches for quotes in the future.

Insurers do share with others details of policyholders who have had cancelled policies via a shared database
    Last edited by Quentin; 11-08-2018 at 5:41 PM.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 11th Aug 18, 5:24 PM
    • 5,243 Posts
    • 3,178 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Many thanks all. Apparently he was doing 55 in a 40 along a road where doing 40 is dangerous but what can you do

Not drive at over 1/3 more than the speed limit I guess? That said, given you think doing 40mph in a 40mph limit is dangerous and you appear to think you know better than road safety planners, perhaps this is why you believe he's a good driver and the insurer doesn't?

He'll have been doing this consistently and forgotten about the black box. The idea of a black box is to allow safe and careful new drivers to get reduced premiums by showing they can drive at the speed limit, don't race around corners etc. If your son cannot drive at even close to the speed limit (especially at a speed that would result in a FPN and fine/points as it's over the 10% + 9mph tolerance for a speed awareness course) then I suggest you get him a much less powerful car and send him for more driver training before he crashes and injures/kills himself or someone else.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 11th Aug 18, 6:49 PM
    • 4,760 Posts
    • 2,998 Thanks
    csgohan4

We have spoken to LV and gone with them as they are only 2000 for a year without a black box because they don't care about a cancelled insurance when it is because of the black box so we are relieved at least

If I drove at you at 55 mph and 40mph, which would you likely survive statistically?

If that's your attitude to speed, then the son has an even more neglect for the speed limit
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

85Posts Today

1,705Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin