Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • WLITC
    • By WLITC 10th Aug 18, 12:33 PM
    • 955Posts
    • 333Thanks
    WLITC
    Could a late/missed utility bill payment be an issue with a mortgage application?
    • 10th Aug 18, 12:33 PM
    Could a late/missed utility bill payment be an issue with a mortgage application? 10th Aug 18 at 12:33 PM
    I am looking to get a mortgage for a Shared Ownership property in the next 6 months and now I'm a little panicked as I remembered that I mistakenly a missed payment for a water bill in Feb this year. Basically Thames Water sends a bill twice a year and I paid my first bill on the phone last summer and then in Jan this year they send another bill and I went online and selected to pay by direct debit and signed up and assumed then it would just get taken by DD a few weeks later and it wasn't and therefore it was unpaid until I realised in March. As I have managed my credit perfectly for several years. How serious is one missed/late utility payment if everything else is 100% fine?
Page 1
    • DAWN08
    • By DAWN08 10th Aug 18, 12:37 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DAWN08
    • 10th Aug 18, 12:37 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 12:37 PM
    Have you checked your credit report to see if it shows across all 3? Would advise to do so.

I know that Essex & Suffolk water does not report data to credit agencies (only my E-on energy account shows on any of my 3 credit reports, no other utility bills including water). Worth checking to see as if they dont report then nothing to worry about?
    • madvicker
    • By madvicker 10th Aug 18, 12:38 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    madvicker
    • 10th Aug 18, 12:38 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 12:38 PM
    One missed payment more than 6 months ago, as long as it is the only missed payment in the last 3 years is generally not a problem. It's only a problem if it is within 6 months. So by the time you get to applying for the mortgage I wouldn't worry about it.
    • WLITC
    • By WLITC 10th Aug 18, 1:07 PM
    • 955 Posts
    • 333 Thanks
    WLITC
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:07 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:07 PM
    Have you checked your credit report to see if it shows across all 3? Would advise to do so.

I know that Essex & Suffolk water does not report data to credit agencies (only my E-on energy account shows on any of my 3 credit reports, no other utility bills including water). Worth checking to see as if they dont report then nothing to worry about?
    Originally posted by DAWN08
    I haven't checked all 3, at the moment, I generally just check the free versions, so Noddle (Credit call) and Clearscore (Equifax), haven't checked Equifax. As it stands it shows on Experian as a missed payment in Feb, but then all the rest of the months show as green/ok. Its not on the Creditcall report.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,254Posts Today

8,014Users online

Martin's Twitter