Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • darkcloudi
    • By darkcloudi 10th Aug 18, 12:21 PM
    • 513Posts
    • 160Thanks
    darkcloudi
    Network cables sleeve markings - new build
    • 10th Aug 18, 12:21 PM
    Network cables sleeve markings - new build 10th Aug 18 at 12:21 PM
    Do all networking cables have markings on them to certify what they are?

I am buying a new build and they have installed the following (written on sleeve):
    LanCOMCable Network Cable CCA ISO9001, FLUKE CHANNEL TESTED, RoHS, REACH, CE, 29/10/2017 170 metres

Other plots have the Cat 5e markings on the network cable sleeve but my plot doesn't.

I am unsure whether this is Cat 5e as there is no markings to state this and I know Cat 5 term is obsolete, with the date of 2017 I am assuming its 5e. They are 4 pairs but I am advising the new build customer services that I don't think they are Cat 5 as they do not have the markings to state this, and unsure what the electrician has installed.
Page 1
    • thorganby
    • By thorganby 10th Aug 18, 1:12 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    thorganby
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:12 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:12 PM
    You should be concerned that it is CCA Copper Clad Aluminium.

Not sure if you would notice the difference at home but it is cheap stuff.

https://twistedpairtech.co.uk/caution-using-cooper-clad-aluminium-cat5-cable/
    • darkcloudi
    • By darkcloudi 10th Aug 18, 1:16 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    darkcloudi
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:16 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:16 PM
    You should be concerned that it is CCA Copper Clad Aluminium.

Not sure if you would notice the difference at home but it is cheap stuff.

https://twistedpairtech.co.uk/caution-using-cooper-clad-aluminium-cat5-cable/
    Originally posted by thorganby
    Yes I understand its cheap, not sure why Taylor Wimpey install this stuff but appears most of the plots get fitted with this crap.

Quite worried that the markings are not there on the sleeve that state if its Cat 5. To me they can be anything.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 10th Aug 18, 1:20 PM
    • 32,737 Posts
    • 20,606 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:20 PM
    Is there a way to get the cable tested or know anyone who knows someone who could do it.
    Just a thought.
    • thorganby
    • By thorganby 10th Aug 18, 1:20 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    thorganby
    Yes I understand its cheap, not sure why Taylor Wimpey install this stuff but appears most of the plots get fitted with this crap.

Quite worried that the markings are not there on the sleeve that state if its Cat 5. To me they can be anything.
    Originally posted by darkcloudi
    If you are paying for Cat5e then you are not getting it!

The problem is networks installed with this cable will never comply with the Cat5e standards. The standard clearly states the conductor shall be annealed solid copper and comply with the requirements of EN 50288-1:2003, 4.1. The conductor shall be plain or metal coated. NOTE Copper covered (clad) aluminium and/or steel conductors are not permitted.
    • darkcloudi
    • By darkcloudi 10th Aug 18, 1:23 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    darkcloudi
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:23 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:23 PM
    If you are paying for Cat5e then you are not getting it!
    Originally posted by thorganby
    I told them install Cat 5 (which I was hoping the installer would know its 5e) since you cannot find the older Cat 5 cable. The cable is dated 2017 so assuming its 5e but has no markings to state this.
    • darkcloudi
    • By darkcloudi 10th Aug 18, 1:25 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    darkcloudi
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:25 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:25 PM
    Is there a way to get the cable tested or know anyone who knows someone who could do it.
    Just a thought.
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    Can't test them until I move in Was hoping to find out now so they can remove and install the proper stuff
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 10th Aug 18, 2:01 PM
    • 4,966 Posts
    • 4,897 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 10th Aug 18, 2:01 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 2:01 PM
    Does CCA meet even CAT5 standards? If not then you can legitimately approach them now to replace the cable.

The link below has a table that compares the technical specifications of CAT5 etc. but doesn't mention anything about construction

http://www.cablek.com/technical-reference/cat-5---5e--6--6a---7--standards
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • darkcloudi
    • By darkcloudi 10th Aug 18, 2:17 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    darkcloudi
    • 10th Aug 18, 2:17 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 2:17 PM
    Does CCA meet even CAT5 standards? If not then you can legitimately approach them now to replace the cable.
    Originally posted by DoaM
    I think CCA can be used but there is a lot of information out there that states its no good. When copper was expensive CCA was being used as Cat 5 cabling. I think as far as standards are concerned it may not fit into this criteria, but difficult to say as I have noticed places like Amazon you can get Cat 5 CCA cabling.

I asked Taylor Wimpey for Cat 5 but at present since there is no markings on the cable I have asked them to tell me exactly what they have installed.

Current response from the electrician is its Cat 5 as thats what they asked from there wholesaler, and thats whats installed. But when I looked at other plots they have the Cat 5e markings on the cabling sleeve and mine apparently doesn't. So to me it can be anything.

I have emailed them to say the cable is not Cat 5 and does not satisfy EN 50288-1:2003
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 10th Aug 18, 3:53 PM
    • 3,642 Posts
    • 2,702 Thanks
    Tarambor
    As long as it manages to reach the speeds CAT5 should does it really matter? Quite clearly you aren't bothered about the speed otherwise you'd have specced CAT 7.
    • darkcloudi
    • By darkcloudi 10th Aug 18, 4:02 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    darkcloudi
    As long as it manages to reach the speeds CAT5 should does it really matter? Quite clearly you aren't bothered about the speed otherwise you'd have specced CAT 7.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    I had to install Cat 5 as Taylor Wimpey said thats all there installed (so was limited to what they would install for me). I would have loved to have installed Cat 7, if that was an option. Not to fussed about speed as think 1Gbps is fine for the time being.

My worry is whether the cable installed is Cat 5 as it doesn't have the markings on the sleeve. So was querying whether all network cables should have markings to identify it.

I know from experience in me buying Cat 5e cables they have always had markings on them to state what they are, hence the question.
    • Chino
    • By Chino 10th Aug 18, 4:02 PM
    • 540 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    Chino
    I told them install Cat 5
    So here's the root of your problem; if you'd either said nothing or asked for Cat 5e cabling you would have got Cat 5e cabling like the other plots.

You specifically asked for Cat 5 cabling so that's why your cables aren't marked as being Cat 5e.
    • darkcloudi
    • By darkcloudi 10th Aug 18, 4:11 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    darkcloudi
    So here's the root of your problem; if you'd either said nothing or asked for Cat 5e cabling you would have got Cat 5e cabling like the other plots.

You specifically asked for Cat 5 cabling so that's why your cables aren't marked as being Cat 5e.
    Originally posted by Chino
    From what people have advised Cat 5 is obsolete and you cannot purchase this since 2009, and has been replaced with Cat 5e. (NOTE: The new cable is dated 2017)
    • darkcloudi
    • By darkcloudi 10th Aug 18, 5:21 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    darkcloudi
    I've asked the question on a network forum, as the question may be best suited there.

Thanks again for those that assisted.
    • takman
    • By takman 11th Aug 18, 12:08 AM
    • 3,694 Posts
    • 3,341 Thanks
    takman
    From what people have advised Cat 5 is obsolete and you cannot purchase this since 2009, and has been replaced with Cat 5e. (NOTE: The new cable is dated 2017)
    Cat 5 may be obsolete but if you specifically asked for it then they could have used the cheapest rubbish cable they could get to save some money as Cat 5 only has to support 100 Mbits/s.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,067Posts Today

7,817Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter poll: Should fracking be allowed in the UK? A test site reopened this week to much local protest.? https://t.co/orpNJN6Bf9

• Lovely package on #newsnight just now about Brexit hitchhiking, livened up what has been not the most exciting show.

• Is this is a serious tweet or a joke? Why did I mention he was a cyclist - because he was a cyclist. Eh? https://t.co/F1SP7UJZkH

• Follow Martin