Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bobwilson
    • By bobwilson 10th Aug 18, 11:55 AM
    • 425Posts
    • 113Thanks
    bobwilson
    Is this an HMO?
    • 10th Aug 18, 11:55 AM
    Is this an HMO? 10th Aug 18 at 11:55 AM
    NB: subject line should read "large HMO". Is this a large (licensable) HMO? Trying to establish whether an independent annexe with its own kitchen & bathroom forms part of a large (licensable) HMO under the new oct 2018 rules or not. I'm asking regarding the government rules, not the council rules.

A 2 story house with unconverted loft, has 4 unrelated tenants. Would a 5th tenant in an independent annexe within the grounds that has its own kitchenette & bathroom, (the tenant walks through the garden gate to reach it, not through the house), form a large HMO or not?

Does anyone know for certain whether it is or isn't a large licensable HMO? (and can you point me to a gov link to back it up?)

Thanks
    Last edited by bobwilson; 10-08-2018 at 5:04 PM.
Page 2
    • bobwilson
    • By bobwilson 10th Aug 18, 2:19 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    bobwilson
    Your home is a large HMO if all of the following apply: it's at least 3 storeys high. at least 5 tenants live there, forming more than 1 household. you share toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities with other tenants.

That is the definition given on the gov website.

Do all your tenants have use of all the facilities included within both the annexe and the main property or is the annexe separately occupied by just 1 tenant?
    Originally posted by need an answer
    Good! You're the second person to answer the actual question That's what I've read as well, but it turns out that gov. website information will be out of date as of oct 2018 (1 month's time). New rules come out in oct.

"independent" means it's separately occupied by just 1 or 2 tenants (couple).

According to these rules, you could in theory have 5 bedrooms over 3 levels with ensuite bathrooms, no shared facilities & a microwave in each one- and they still wouldn't be a large HMO. Is that right?
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 10th Aug 18, 2:34 PM
    • 7,075 Posts
    • 6,776 Thanks
    00ec25
    The last 3 links on your post are hear-say, since they're not gov info. If ever it came into question, you can't argue with the government "but insidepropertyinvesting.com says this". That's why the op asked for only government links.
    Originally posted by bobwilson
    wow , what an aggressive and rude person you are

do your own reading, the info is readily available from the websites I previously gave you, but of course that assumes you can read the links on them as they include the ones you want.
    I'm out
    Last edited by 00ec25; 10-08-2018 at 8:03 PM.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 10th Aug 18, 2:36 PM
    • 957 Posts
    • 1,167 Thanks
    need an answer
    A 3 story building is different to 3 levels

so as per my original post what do you have in terms of building?
    in S 38 T 62 F 59
    out S 56 T 64 F 67
    2017 -32
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 10th Aug 18, 3:01 PM
    • 4,903 Posts
    • 4,923 Thanks
    Comms69
    I'm editing my post to clarify the question. This isn't a competition about who is right or wrong- if you don't know the answer, you don't need to post.
    No your editing your post because you don't like the answers your getting, which are answers to the question you originally asked!

But then again none of this is real, clearly. Just some fantasy you've cooked up.
    • bobwilson
    • By bobwilson 10th Aug 18, 4:49 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    bobwilson
    wow , what an aggressive person you are
    Originally posted by 00ec25
    If you can't take a factual statement without getting upset & interpreting it as "aggressive", maybe you shouldn't be replying to posts on this forum.

do your own reading, I'm out
    Originally posted by 00ec25
    Bye!
    • bobwilson
    • By bobwilson 10th Aug 18, 4:52 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    bobwilson
    A 3 story building is different to 3 levels

so as per my original post what do you have in terms of building?
    Are you saying you know what forms a large HMO or know the answer to the op? In what ways does 3 story differ to 3 levels in terms of HMO licensing?
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 10th Aug 18, 4:54 PM
    • 957 Posts
    • 1,167 Thanks
    need an answer
    but it turns out that gov. website information will be out of date as of oct 2018

Where are you obtaining this information from?
    in S 38 T 62 F 59
    out S 56 T 64 F 67
    2017 -32
    • bobwilson
    • By bobwilson 10th Aug 18, 4:56 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    bobwilson
    No your editing your post because you don't like the answers your getting, which are answers to the question you originally asked!
    Originally posted by Comms69
    Your assumption of any feelings I may or may not have, is your choice. I asked a question on this forum in order to receive a factual answer or discussion about the topic as opposed to discussing your feelings about the question.

But then again none of this is real, clearly. Just some fantasy you've cooked up.
    Why does the question bother you so much? If you can't answer or don't have any knowledge on the topic, why not just go to another thread to give answers to something you do know about.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 10th Aug 18, 4:57 PM
    • 957 Posts
    • 1,167 Thanks
    need an answer
    Are you saying you know what forms a large HMO or know the answer to the op? In what ways does 3 story differ to 3 levels in terms of HMO licensing?
    so you still do not answer the question of what type of building you have.

is it a 3 story building with a separate annexe or something different.

Yes there is a difference between the wording level and storey
    in S 38 T 62 F 59
    out S 56 T 64 F 67
    2017 -32
    • bobwilson
    • By bobwilson 10th Aug 18, 4:59 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    bobwilson
    Where are you obtaining this information from?
    If you don't know about the new rules then it's unlikely you're able to answer the original question
    • bobwilson
    • By bobwilson 10th Aug 18, 5:02 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    bobwilson
    is it a 3 story building with a separate annexe or something different.

Yes there is a difference between the wording level and storey
    What's the difference? I'm interested in all possibilities but you don't seem to know the answer. If you don't know about the new rules in 2018 I'm not sure you're the right person to answer.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 10th Aug 18, 5:04 PM
    • 4,903 Posts
    • 4,923 Thanks
    Comms69
    Your assumption of any feelings I may or may not have, is your choice. - not feelings. facts. You changed your story to throw people off. I asked a question on this forum in order to receive a factual answer or discussion about the topic as opposed to discussing your feelings about the question.

Why does the question bother you so much? If you can't answer or don't have any knowledge on the topic, why not just go to another thread to give answers to something you do know about.
    Oh no, I do know the answer. It's really straight forward and has been explained to you by several other posters. It seems people resent your requirement for it to be a gov website, and anything else is clearly just nonsense. Like I say, if you don't like it, go and pay someone to tell you what you do like.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 10th Aug 18, 5:05 PM
    • 4,903 Posts
    • 4,923 Thanks
    Comms69
    If you don't know about the new rules then it's unlikely you're able to answer the original question
    You seem to believe that when the new law comes in the gov website wont be updated....
    • bobwilson
    • By bobwilson 10th Aug 18, 5:10 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    bobwilson
    Oh no, I do know the answer.
    If that was true, you'd be typing it.

It's really straight forward and has been explained to you by several other posters.
    If that was true, I wouldn't still be waiting for an answer & you'd be quoting them.

It seems people resent your requirement for it to be a gov website, and anything else is clearly just nonsense.
    If you think you can rely on unsolicited third party websites when it comes to controversial laws that affect whether you have a criminal record or not, then you're a fool- you at least need to have it from the source.

Like I say, if you don't like it, go and pay someone to tell you what you do like.
    Thanks for that.
    • bobwilson
    • By bobwilson 10th Aug 18, 5:11 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    bobwilson
    You seem to believe that when the new law comes in the gov website wont be updated....
    That doesn't answer the op and no I don't but thanks for that constructive comment
    • bobwilson
    • By bobwilson 10th Aug 18, 5:13 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    bobwilson
    The replies here have been quite unconstructive so far. Lets try to keep the thread on topic please- any constructive answers or discussion about the op welcomed.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 10th Aug 18, 5:25 PM
    • 4,903 Posts
    • 4,923 Thanks
    Comms69
    That doesn't answer the op and no I don't but thanks for that constructive comment
    Well put your mind at rest, it's been so busy today; the website will be updated.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 10th Aug 18, 5:29 PM
    • 4,903 Posts
    • 4,923 Thanks
    Comms69
    If that was true, you'd be typing it.
    - nah, that would be too helpful to someone who has been consistently rude.

If that was true, I wouldn't still be waiting for an answer & you'd be quoting them.
    Literally : http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2018/616/made

If you think you can rely on unsolicited third party websites when it comes to controversial laws that affect whether you have a criminal record or not, then you're a fool- you at least need to have it from the source.
    - Actually I read statute, but it may be a bit over your head, which is why you were provided with 3 links to summarise the position.

Thanks for that.

Now you have the link, you'll no doubt work it out
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 10th Aug 18, 5:38 PM
    • 3,456 Posts
    • 9,262 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    The replies here have been quite unconstructive so far. Lets try to keep the thread on topic please- any constructive answers or discussion about the op welcomed.
    Here's a quick tip.

If you want strangers to do your research for you for free so that you can make more money, you might do better by being more polite about it.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 10th Aug 18, 6:11 PM
    • 957 Posts
    • 1,167 Thanks
    need an answer
    I've stuck with the thread though you being quite patronising, at times arrogant and on occasion rude to those who have tried to interject with you

Believe what you will and assume whatever you like about the answer to the question,but you'll get no more from me going forward.

You're fast alienating some knowledgeable posters with your remarks.
    Last edited by need an answer; 10-08-2018 at 6:13 PM.
    in S 38 T 62 F 59
    out S 56 T 64 F 67
    2017 -32
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

246Posts Today

2,757Users online

Martin's Twitter