Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search

Results: Would you pay 10 a month to have your bins emptied on the alternative weeks to council collections?

Yes

6.14% • 7 votes

No

93.86% • 107 votes

You may not vote on this poll

114 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • CurlyWurly13
    • By CurlyWurly13 10th Aug 18, 10:33 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    CurlyWurly13
    Bin Collections
    • 10th Aug 18, 10:33 AM
    Bin Collections 10th Aug 18 at 10:33 AM
    Doing some research. As you know, bin collections are every fortnight. Would you pay 10 a month to have someone collect your extra bin bags on the alternative weeks to the council collections?
Page 2
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 10th Aug 18, 1:31 PM
    • 8,136 Posts
    • 12,096 Thanks
    jackieblack
    Our bin collections are still weekly....
    Originally posted by Scorpio33
    Mine too

Black bags collected weekly (I use half size black bags and rarely fill one of these in a normal week)
    Food bin collected weekly
    Recycling also collected weekly, but alternating between different boxes each week - plastic bottles and cans collected one week, paper/cardboard the next
    Garden waste collected fortnightly (I pay extra 50 a year for this and if there's any space left I offer to take any garden waste my neighbour has)

Bins for glass and tetra paks are located in supermarket car park in nearer town

My council only collects plastic bottles so I collect any other plastic separately - the neighbouring council where my daughter lives takes all types of plastic so these go in her bin
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • gingercordial
    • By gingercordial 10th Aug 18, 1:39 PM
    • 1,230 Posts
    • 1,289 Thanks
    gingercordial
    Absolutely not. We rarely get anywhere close to filling our non-recyclable bin. It only ever happens if we have ordered furniture or something else large that comes in lots of plastic wrap or polystyrene, so that hardly ever happens.

Recycling is collected weekly and we do often come close to filling that but they will collect cardboard if it is neatly folded and left next to the bin so it is never a problem.
    • pimento
    • By pimento 10th Aug 18, 3:31 PM
    • 5,468 Posts
    • 7,137 Thanks
    pimento
    We rarely fill our bin. The only one that we have trouble with is the garden waste bin. Our gardener can fill that in an hour but it is collected weekly.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
    • Loz01
    • By Loz01 10th Aug 18, 5:35 PM
    • 1,641 Posts
    • 3,690 Thanks
    Loz01
    No way, we never fill our black bin, its the recycling one that gets full! Although where we live, you can request an extra recycling bin for free. If there's 7 or more permanent people in the property, you can have 2 black bins.
    When your lifestyle requires several deaths a week but you think the people eating plants have a superiority complex...
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 10th Aug 18, 5:35 PM
    • 3,202 Posts
    • 8,746 Thanks
    Callie22
    No, I wouldn't pay any extra. Our rubbish is collected fortnightly and I struggle to fill the bin, although our recycling boxes and bags are usually pretty full. I already pay an additional 50 a year for a fortnightly green-waste collection (optional, but the opening hours at the local tip aren't worker-friendly), and I don't want to pay any more!
    • maman
    • By maman 10th Aug 18, 5:50 PM
    • 18,546 Posts
    • 110,739 Thanks
    maman
    No, I see this as the thin end of a wedge where in the long term the councils will opt out of bin collection and leave resident to pay or drown in their own garbage.
    Originally posted by ognum

I'm another in the No camp. I agree we're getting very close to the thin end of the wedge with public services.

I wouldn't trust the council to be able to ring fence the money. I have huge sympathy with councils as central government is starving them of funds.

I was only thinking the other day about how many places now employ security guards when previously you could have expected police to turn out.

I'd like to see far less waste and that would mean householders being more careful but also manufacturers using less packaging wherever possible.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 10th Aug 18, 5:57 PM
    • 2,096 Posts
    • 2,936 Thanks
    badmemory
    No. We have 4 wheelie bins. 3 are collected every 3 weeks (as in 1 a week) the 4th food/garden waste once a fortnight. If I had a lot then I would take it the 10 mile round trip to the tip. But pay 10/month every month no chance, I hope I can manage the rubbish I churn out better than that.

I don't think they would leave us to drown in our own garbage because it would cost so much more to deal with the fly tipping. Although maybe if this was a truly country area with for example lots of farm gates to dump stuff in then they may do that.
    Last edited by badmemory; 10-08-2018 at 6:00 PM.
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 10th Aug 18, 6:41 PM
    • 2,311 Posts
    • 3,196 Thanks
    NeilCr
    We still have weekly collections for general waste and fortnightly for recycling and food.

I live on an estate with communal bins and they do get very full. As an individual I wouldn't pay but an estate might if they had an ongoing problem. It's amazing what folks put in bins and there isn't the individual responsibility of those with just their own bins
    • bspm1
    • By bspm1 10th Aug 18, 6:55 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 279 Thanks
    bspm1
    Still weekly here.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 10th Aug 18, 7:18 PM
    • 2,394 Posts
    • 3,249 Thanks
    Robisere
    I wouldnt as neither bin is full until 2 weeks is up, in fact the recycling one is the one that gets the fullest and our council are happy to take as much extra recycling that you put at the side in clear sacks.
    Originally posted by marliepanda

Ditto: too many people are not using the recycling bin for its proper use. They are using the waste bin for content which should be recycled, resulting in plastic and other non-biodegradable waste going to landfill. Storing up trouble for the future.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 10th Aug 18, 11:44 PM
    • 3,579 Posts
    • 3,882 Thanks
    cjdavies
    No, I don't have an issue with fortnightly collections, my recycling is weekly.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 11th Aug 18, 7:53 AM
    • 20,832 Posts
    • 56,127 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I wouldnt as neither bin is full until 2 weeks is up, in fact the recycling one is the one that gets the fullest and our council are happy to take as much extra recycling that you put at the side in clear sacks.
    Originally posted by marliepanda
    +1 to this (although we don't fill our recycling bin in the 2 weeks).
    • lucywillow
    • By lucywillow 11th Aug 18, 3:39 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    lucywillow
    Still weekly collections in my area for black bags, recycling & garden waste.
    We also don't pay extra for garden waste to be collected ( up to 6 large bags per week).
    • custardy
    • By custardy 11th Aug 18, 3:41 PM
    • 34,083 Posts
    • 28,970 Thanks
    custardy
    Doing some research. As you know, bin collections are every fortnight. Would you pay 10 a month to have someone collect your extra bin bags on the alternative weeks to the council collections?
    Originally posted by CurlyWurly13
    Where would the researcher be taking the bin bags?
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 11th Aug 18, 10:20 PM
    • 4,076 Posts
    • 10,320 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Our recycling bins are collected every week and I rarely put the bin out every week, even taking into consideration I recycle rubbish from our office as well - and every day I seem to be bring home recycling.

General rubbish is collected every fortnight and we've managed to put it out once a month, even bring home the office's rubbish as well.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 11th Aug 18, 11:48 PM
    • 2,922 Posts
    • 5,755 Thanks
    Spidernick
    Some people are super-consumers and don't pay attention to how they're packing their bin if they can't cope with what they've got.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    I agree with this. Even when my twin boys were in nappies we were still fine with fortnightly collections with five of us living in the house. Any household that cannot cope with this is doing something seriously wrong in my view!
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
    • tealady
    • By tealady 12th Aug 18, 6:52 AM
    • 2,858 Posts
    • 3,502 Thanks
    tealady
    We have weekly bin and fortnightly recycling collections. It would take me about 3 months to fill my bin and a year to fill the recycling (except for the paper/ card pod which is tiny, can fill that in a few weeks.
    Green waste is chargeable, round here I know of familes and neighbours who share the cost.
    Bulky items are chargeable, but I usually ask friends to take me to the tip (or walk as I don't drive).
    Proud to be an MSE nerd
    Judge people by their achievements, not by their mistakes
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 12th Aug 18, 9:45 AM
    • 14,555 Posts
    • 27,594 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Alternate weekly works fine for us.

I also pay 50 a year for a garden waste collection. This I object to, mainly because our neighbours just sling their garden waste down the side lane to avoid paying the fee.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 12th Aug 18, 12:25 PM
    • 9,303 Posts
    • 13,530 Thanks
    meer53
    If you have a wheelie bin (do people still have dustbins ?) i struggle to see why you would need a collection more than fortnightly ? I wrap all my rubbish before putting it in the wheelie bin to minimise the risk of maggots in the summer and a bin cleaning company clean and disinfect it for me after each empty. It's 2 for the clean/disinfect, well worth it in the summer (i'm small and can't reach the bottom of my wheelie bin !)

On the odd occasion where my bin has been full (snow preventing the dustcart getting up our road, council strikes etc) i have taken my rubbish to the tip myself.

So... no, i wouldn't pay any more for weekly collections.
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 12th Aug 18, 8:21 PM
    • 16,010 Posts
    • 22,014 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    We are a family of 5 with twins in nappies and our rubbish bin is rarely full for the fortnightly collections.

Most our waste goes in the recycle bin.

No need to pay for extra collections.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

506Posts Today

5,222Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Lovely package on #newsnight just now about Brexit hitchhiking, livened up what has been not the most exciting show.

• Is this is a serious tweet or a joke? Why did I mention he was a cyclist - because he was a cyclist. Eh? https://t.co/F1SP7UJZkH

• How awful Mark. This is why those people who take risks on the road, have to realise while they think they're gamb? https://t.co/berU23vQOU

• Follow Martin