Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search

Results: Would you pay 10 a month to have your bins emptied on the alternative weeks to council collections?

Yes

6.14% • 7 votes

No

93.86% • 107 votes

You may not vote on this poll

114 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • CurlyWurly13
    • By CurlyWurly13 10th Aug 18, 10:33 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    CurlyWurly13
    Bin Collections
    • 10th Aug 18, 10:33 AM
    Bin Collections 10th Aug 18 at 10:33 AM
    Doing some research. As you know, bin collections are every fortnight. Would you pay 10 a month to have someone collect your extra bin bags on the alternative weeks to the council collections?
Page 1
    • Scorpio33
    • By Scorpio33 10th Aug 18, 10:34 AM
    • 525 Posts
    • 744 Thanks
    Scorpio33
    • 10th Aug 18, 10:34 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 10:34 AM
    Our bin collections are still weekly....
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 10th Aug 18, 10:36 AM
    • 6,896 Posts
    • 15,040 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 10th Aug 18, 10:36 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 10:36 AM
    Doing some research. As you know, bin collections are every fortnight. Would you pay 10 a month to have someone collect your extra bin bags on the alternative weeks to the council collections?
    Originally posted by CurlyWurly13
    I wouldnt as neither bin is full until 2 weeks is up, in fact the recycling one is the one that gets the fullest and our council are happy to take as much extra recycling that you put at the side in clear sacks.
    • Rubik
    • By Rubik 10th Aug 18, 10:43 AM
    • 298 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    Rubik
    • 10th Aug 18, 10:43 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 10:43 AM
    Not on a regular basis, as I already pay a fortune in council tax, and my very kind neighbour lets us use their bin if ours fills up before collection day (they only seem to produce one small bag of rubbish each fortnight).

However, if the option to pay 5 for bin emptying on an as and when basis was available, esp during the hot summer months when maggots are a potential issue, I would consider using that.

Where would the collected rubbish end up?
    • Thrice
    • By Thrice 10th Aug 18, 11:01 AM
    • 90 Posts
    • 416 Thanks
    Thrice
    • 10th Aug 18, 11:01 AM
    I'm in central Scotland and our bins are on a 3 weekly cycle. Don't have any issues with this, it works fine for us.

I would worry that the people doing the collections would dump the rubbish rather than take it to a licensed council dump,
    x
    SPC010 22.05
    • Madmel
    • By Madmel 10th Aug 18, 11:01 AM
    • 653 Posts
    • 1,254 Thanks
    Madmel
    Ours is every 3 weeks and we don't fill it. Recycling and food waste are collected weekly and we regularly fill 2 recycling containers (plastics, aluminium foil, paper, cardboard, glass, metal cans). We also have a holiday cottage which is full over the summer and including the waste from there plus our own, we rarely full the bin.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 10th Aug 18, 11:05 AM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 1,235 Thanks
    need an answer
    • 10th Aug 18, 11:05 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 11:05 AM
    no,we rarely get a full bin within the 2 weeks when you take into account that recycling and cardboard is taken away on a weekly basis.

Some weeks there's actually hardly anything in our "big" bin
    in S 42 T 64 F 66
    out S 60 T 69 F 78
    2017 -32
    • ognum
    • By ognum 10th Aug 18, 11:06 AM
    • 4,620 Posts
    • 7,395 Thanks
    ognum
    • 10th Aug 18, 11:06 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 11:06 AM
    No, I see this as the thin end of a wedge where in the long term the councils will opt out of bin collection and leave resident to pay or drown in their own garbage.

Our black bin is emptied fortnightly and it!!!8217;s never full
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 10th Aug 18, 11:07 AM
    • 4,988 Posts
    • 11,249 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 10th Aug 18, 11:07 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 11:07 AM
    I would not, I don't fill the new micro-bin they've given everyone, and if I did I'd take the excess down the tip.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 10th Aug 18, 11:47 AM
    • 6,896 Posts
    • 15,040 Thanks
    marliepanda
    I was looking for a skip bin hire after the garden and lawn mowing and maintenance because I had a huge amount of waste which can be carried only by a medium-size skip bin. So, I decided to hire a skip bin service providing company. I searched over the internet and found They have a FREE quote service which makes us able to discuss our rubbish removal requirements to the representative on the phone call. He suggested me medium-size skip bin after a long discussion for the rubbish removal of my home.!

You can have a look at their this service online.!Here is their website official
    Originally posted by sohailcodeage
    Wow I can't believe the amazing service you had from this company!! Shame you're company isnt smart enough to spam on an Australian website and not a UK one who I imagine are all too poor to hire a skip all the way from Australia...
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 10th Aug 18, 11:54 AM
    • 5,899 Posts
    • 6,181 Thanks
    Comms69
    We're in the UK so they may not cover our area.
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    Worth a FREE quote though...
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 10th Aug 18, 11:57 AM
    • 1,344 Posts
    • 2,332 Thanks
    rach_k
    No I wouldn't, because we don't have any special reason to generate a lot of waste (e.g. medical or disability) so I think it's our responsibility to ensure that we're not making too much. I'd be ashamed if we routinely filled our small wheelie bin in two weeks, let alone one. If we were, the solution would not be to pay somebody to make it go away, but to work out why we were making so much rubbish and then fix it.
    • northwalesd
    • By northwalesd 10th Aug 18, 12:19 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    northwalesd
    Another household in the 'no' camp. We'd be quite happy for our general waste to go 4-weekly, as long as the recycling was more frequent than that (currently weekly, but for us that could go to 2-weekly).
    Last edited by northwalesd; 10-08-2018 at 12:20 PM. Reason: typo
    • ManAtHome
    • By ManAtHome 10th Aug 18, 12:23 PM
    • 8,191 Posts
    • 5,319 Thanks
    ManAtHome
    My council does alternate week grey and green bin collections and also offer ad-hoc collections - 1 per bag, minimum charge 5. Haven't needed to use the service, but worth a check on your council's website.
    • Rubik
    • By Rubik 10th Aug 18, 12:38 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    Rubik
    No I wouldn't, because we don't have any special reason to generate a lot of waste (e.g. medical or disability) so I think it's our responsibility to ensure that we're not making too much. I'd be ashamed if we routinely filled our small wheelie bin in two weeks, let alone one. If we were, the solution would not be to pay somebody to make it go away, but to work out why we were making so much rubbish and then fix it.
    Originally posted by rach_k
    Due to my local council being unable (apparently) to recycle anything more than plastic bottles and paper, a lot of what could be recycled has be put in the general rubbish wheelie bin. Better recycling facilities, and being able to recycle more than they do currently would mean the general rubbish bin wouldn't get filled up each fortnight.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 10th Aug 18, 12:54 PM
    • 65,272 Posts
    • 383,046 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    My rubbish bins are fortnightly and I struggle to put half a small black sack out every 4-6 weeks in the main. My recycling goes out about 3x a year in the main (never full, usually half full at that stage).

Some people are super-consumers and don't pay attention to how they're packing their bin if they can't cope with what they've got.

I'd prefer 10/month off the council tax and fewer collections.... it seems I'm subsidising those who aren't being mindful about their waste.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 10th Aug 18, 1:00 PM
    • 33,625 Posts
    • 20,341 Thanks
    getmore4less
    I would prefer a discount every time our bins don't go out

As you know, bin collections are every fortnight
    Shame your initial research got that bit wrong, they collect once a week in our area.
    You can pay for extra collections of garden waste
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 10th Aug 18, 1:12 PM
    • 15,320 Posts
    • 21,203 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Doing some research. As you know, bin collections are every fortnight.
    Originally posted by CurlyWurly13
    Every three weeks here for landfill.

No, I wouldn't pay extra for weekly/bi-weekly collections as every three weeks is more than adequate.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • Alikay
    • By Alikay 10th Aug 18, 1:13 PM
    • 4,841 Posts
    • 13,058 Thanks
    Alikay
    A wheelie bin holds a lot of rubbish, and we also have a recycling bin for plastic, glass paper and cardboard, so fortnightly is fine by me.

I've never had to take extra rubbish to the tip, even when we had 6 in the household including a toddler in nappies. I suspect some peoples bins get full because they don't flatten and squish down empty packages.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 10th Aug 18, 1:24 PM
    • 2,980 Posts
    • 3,144 Thanks
    Stoke
    Every 2 weeks for me.... as a single guy, I can go a month without having my bins emptied but when I was in a relationship, we struggled a bit, but in hindsight i'm not sure why..... so not sure, a tenner doesn't seem bad.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,177Posts Today

6,422Users online

Martin's Twitter