Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Si Clist
    • By Si Clist 10th Aug 18, 10:30 AM
    • 435Posts
    • 2,695Thanks
    Si Clist
    Waaaah! Win10 username/log on/MS account help please!!!!
    • 10th Aug 18, 10:30 AM
    Waaaah! Win10 username/log on/MS account help please!!!! 10th Aug 18 at 10:30 AM
    A problem has arisen with our "spare" laptop, which is nowadays mainly used by my Lady Wife. Until yesterday, we simply opened the lid, waited for the desktop to appear, and off we went. Then for some reason it requested the password on the welcome screen, which put us in a spin. In our attempts to sort that out, I seem to have created a second MS account, which I suspect might be causing the present problem.

What happens now is that after "Toshiba" then the black screen, the welcome page shows the default user "picture" (i.e. the stylised head and shoulders outline on grey circle) and the username Si Clist, below which is a password box and "The username or password is incorrect. Try again", below which is "OK". When I hit that, the same screen comes back but with "Si" in the username box, and nothing in the password box.

For a short time, the next screen has two icons (?) I've not seen before at bottom left. The bottom one is rectangular, containing a small version of the default user picture with "Si Clist" alongside it. This is highlighted. Above that is the same thing but with the user picture which used to come up.

If I do nothing for the next 5-10 seconds because I'm puzzled by that, the welcome page appears with the time and the date large at bottom left. If I then hit return, the user comes up as Si Clist, with si.clist@btinternet.com below it. If I then enter the original password, which we finally remembered, it kindly brings up the desktop and off we go.

I'm guessing that at least part of the problem is that while trying to sort it all out, I became alarmed to find that it was showing the user as "si.clist@btinternet.com", which is an obsolete email address. By trying to correct that, I seem to have created a new account in the name "siclist01@gmail.com", which is the correct address, with a new password.

Can anyone please suggest how my life might again become simple, at least when it comes to my Lady Wife using her laptop?
    A positive attitude might not solve all your problems, but it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile
Page 1
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 10th Aug 18, 12:16 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 613 Thanks
    18cc
    • 10th Aug 18, 12:16 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 12:16 PM
    You need to remove the password from the account and then you won't be asked for it s

simply Google how to remove password from Windows 10 and you will see how to do it
    • Si Clist
    • By Si Clist 10th Aug 18, 12:32 PM
    • 435 Posts
    • 2,695 Thanks
    Si Clist
    • 10th Aug 18, 12:32 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 12:32 PM
    You need to remove the password from the account and then you won't be asked for it s

simply Google how to remove password from Windows 10 and you will see how to do it
    Originally posted by 18cc

Thanks but I already did that. "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer" is not checked, and as far as I know never has been ...
    A positive attitude might not solve all your problems, but it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 10th Aug 18, 1:07 PM
    • 21,737 Posts
    • 17,620 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:07 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:07 PM
    Thanks but I already did that. "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer" is not checked, and as far as I know never has been ...
    Originally posted by Si Clist

Maybe it has got itself a bit confused, can you tick it, sign in, and then untick it to see if that works?
    • Si Clist
    • By Si Clist 10th Aug 18, 1:41 PM
    • 435 Posts
    • 2,695 Thanks
    Si Clist
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:41 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:41 PM
    Maybe it has got itself a bit confused, can you tick it, sign in, and then untick it to see if that works?
    Originally posted by agrinnall

Alas, no change
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 10th Aug 18, 2:09 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 613 Thanks
    18cc
    • 10th Aug 18, 2:09 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 2:09 PM
    have you looked at settings / accounts / sign in options?
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 10th Aug 18, 2:18 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 613 Thanks
    18cc
    • 10th Aug 18, 2:18 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 2:18 PM
    also try googling netplwiz doesnt work there are some hits with alternatives
    • Si Clist
    • By Si Clist 10th Aug 18, 2:24 PM
    • 435 Posts
    • 2,695 Thanks
    Si Clist
    • 10th Aug 18, 2:24 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 2:24 PM
    have you looked at settings / accounts / sign in options?

I have, but am no better off for having done so. Most of this stuff is meaningless to me, hence my turning for help here
    • Si Clist
    • By Si Clist 10th Aug 18, 2:46 PM
    • 435 Posts
    • 2,695 Thanks
    Si Clist
    • 10th Aug 18, 2:46 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 2:46 PM
    also try googling netplwiz doesnt work there are some hits with alternatives

Oh hurrah! Thank you, 18cc. I did just that and found a video on YouTube called "Windows 10 login password bypass when netplwiz doesn't work" which shows how to log in with a local account, and that's solved the problem!

Cheers!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,857Posts Today

7,522Users online

Martin's Twitter