Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fennite
    • By Fennite 10th Aug 18, 9:41 AM
    • 37Posts
    • 15Thanks
    Fennite
    Roof tile damaged car- claim against housing association
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:41 AM
    Roof tile damaged car- claim against housing association 10th Aug 18 at 9:41 AM
    Hi

Last night a roof tile fell from the roof of my housing association block (I live in the ground floor flat and I think the other residents have shared ownership, I am a regular council house tenant).

I went out to my car (parked in my designated car parking space outside my front door) to find shards of tile all over the bonnet. The main chunk of tile was on the floor. there is a three inch dent/scrape on my bonnet. I took pics of it all.

I have reported this, this morning to the HA as I feel the roof is unsafe. I have previously reported that the neighbours trees are leaning on the roof, and the guttering has fallen down, water is pouring down the walls when it rains. If another tile falls like that it could injure someone.

How do I go about putting a claim in against the HA for repair to my car without affecting my no claims bonus?

The other issue is that my car is scruffy with lots of dings and scrapes, is it worth pursuing a claim in the first place?

Cheers
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 10th Aug 18, 9:49 AM
    • 37,497 Posts
    • 21,711 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:49 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:49 AM
    You only affect your NCD by making a claim on your insurance policy

If you pursue the ha then it won't affect your NCD

(Though you still have a loss to disclose to your insurer which may affect your future premiums over the next 3/5 years depending on how long a history is asked for by the insurers)
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 10th Aug 18, 11:17 AM
    • 7,060 Posts
    • 7,037 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 10th Aug 18, 11:17 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 11:17 AM
    How do I go about putting a claim in against the HA for repair to my car without affecting my no claims bonus?
    Originally posted by Fennite
    You contact the HA, explain to them that they have negligently failed to maintain the roof properly, and as a result a tile dropped on your car and damaged it.

BUT... I suspect their reply will be that they have not been negligent, the falling tile was not reasonably forseeable, so they are not liable.

SO... then you have to decide whether you want a fight or not.

(Have tiles fallen before? Were they reported to the HA? ...that kind of stuff would strengthen your claim of negligence.)
    • stator
    • By stator 10th Aug 18, 11:39 AM
    • 6,540 Posts
    • 4,412 Thanks
    stator
    • 10th Aug 18, 11:39 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 11:39 AM
    IF the falling roof tile was caused by other damage to the roof that you have reported but they haven't fixed, then you have a good claim.

Once you have complained to them and they have refused your claim, you need to send a letter before action. Then you take them to small claims court. You don't need a solicitor, just do research online.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,265Posts Today

9,357Users online

Martin's Twitter