Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ff1478
    • By Ff1478 10th Aug 18, 9:26 AM
    • 12Posts
    • 46Thanks
    Ff1478
    Advice needed I think I've been conned by a friend
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:26 AM
    Advice needed I think I've been conned by a friend 10th Aug 18 at 9:26 AM
    Im actually in tears I am really worried :-(
    Last month a good friend who lives in Spain asked me to do her a favour and asked me if She could send money to my pay pal to then withdraw to m Barclays account then send to her Barclays account and I agreed I ended up sending her 5 seperate amounts of money via this method over the course of a few weeks sheWas sending these payments via friends and family to my pay pal and they add up to around the Total of 1600

Pay pal have now opened disputes on these payments an charge backs Applied
    It has come to light she used a family members credit card to make these payments into my pay pal and the owner of the card has flagged them up as unauthorised with their bank
    Now I'm REALLY worried I've been scammed my pay pal is now showing as being -1600
    she's asked me not to appeal these claims as she is getting it resolved from her end but the deadline to appeal is in 2 days time and it still still not sorted
    I rung pay pal yesterday to see if she has got the card
    Owner to resolve these disputes but they said they have no info on their files as the disputes have been opened with the bank and not with pay pal directly
    I really don't know what to do everytime I phone or txt she says they are sortin it out and not to worry but I've got a horrible feeling I've been scammed I can't believe she'd do that she's lent me money in a few occasions Over the last few years (which I've always paid back promptly so was just trying to be a good friend and return a favour when she needed help) but what do I do I feel like I'm running no out of time and getting fobbed off by her please help :-(
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 10th Aug 18, 9:34 AM
    • 19,066 Posts
    • 20,309 Thanks
    zx81
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:34 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:34 AM
    I wouldn't let her walk off with 1600 of my money.
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 10th Aug 18, 9:47 AM
    • 4,444 Posts
    • 1,631 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:47 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:47 AM
    I would request she immediatly repays you
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 10th Aug 18, 10:12 AM
    • 847 Posts
    • 4,945 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    • 10th Aug 18, 10:12 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 10:12 AM
    Im actually in tears I am really worried :-(
    Last month a good friend who lives in Spain asked me to do her a favour and asked me if She could send money to my pay pal to then withdraw to m Barclays account then send to her Barclays account and I agreed I ended up sending her 5 seperate amounts of money via this method over the course of a few weeks sheWas sending these payments via friends and family to my pay pal and they add up to around the Total of 1600

Pay pal have now opened disputes on these payments an charge backs Applied
    It has come to light she used a family members credit card to make these payments into my pay pal and the owner of the card has flagged them up as unauthorised with their bank
    Now I'm REALLY worried I've been scammed my pay pal is now showing as being -1600
    she's asked me not to appeal these claims as she is getting it resolved from her end but the deadline to appeal is in 2 days time and it still still not sorted
    I rung pay pal yesterday to see if she has got the card
    Owner to resolve these disputes but they said they have no info on their files as the disputes have been opened with the bank and not with pay pal directly
    I really don't know what to do everytime I phone or txt she says they are sortin it out and not to worry but I've got a horrible feeling I've been scammed I can't believe she'd do that she's lent me money in a few occasions Over the last few years (which I've always paid back promptly so was just trying to be a good friend and return a favour when she needed help) but what do I do I feel like I'm running no out of time and getting fobbed off by her please help :-(
    Originally posted by Ff1478
    If you appeal, could you get your money back? If so then you really need to let her know about the deadline and that you will have no choice but to appeal if you get nothing from her before the cut-off time. However good a friend she has been, things can go wrong when people get short of money and do stupid things and you can't let the deadline pass by with no word from her, you've got to take every chance you can to get your money back

Horrible situation, I really feel for you
    Sept GC 90.29/240 Oct 193.85/ 200
    NSD target: Aug 21/20, Sept 14/14 Oct 10/20
    Sept Bring Your Lunch to Work Target
    11/13 Oct 9/20
    1 a day: Aug 60.88/31
    Sept 32.42/30 Oct 20.34/31
    Tesco CC Aug 18 10,151.56 10050.56 0% 30mnths, First Direct CC Aug 18 4321.80 3980 0% til Feb 20
    • KTF
    • By KTF 10th Aug 18, 10:18 AM
    • 4,688 Posts
    • 1,917 Thanks
    KTF
    • 10th Aug 18, 10:18 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 10:18 AM
    You have been scammed. The 1600 is almost certainly gone.

Did you not ask yourself why she couldn't just pay the money directly into their own Barclays account rather than go through paypal?
    • Fennite
    • By Fennite 10th Aug 18, 10:23 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Fennite
    • 10th Aug 18, 10:23 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 10:23 AM
    i'd report her to interpol
    • molerat
    • By molerat 10th Aug 18, 11:38 AM
    • 19,455 Posts
    • 13,659 Thanks
    molerat
    • 10th Aug 18, 11:38 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 11:38 AM
    I would be worried about a likely CIFAS marker heading your way for complicity in money laundering / fraud which could lead to your bank accounts being closed down.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 10th Aug 18, 12:09 PM
    • 805 Posts
    • 532 Thanks
    18cc
    • 10th Aug 18, 12:09 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 12:09 PM
    Sorry could you explain a little bit further how the payments were made

you say she used a family credit card - how did that money get paid into your PayPal account ?

did she link the card to her PayPal account and then send the money from her PayPal account to your Paypal account?

Otherwise I cannot see how she got money off the card into your account

please tell me the exact mechanism she used
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 10th Aug 18, 12:12 PM
    • 805 Posts
    • 532 Thanks
    18cc
    • 10th Aug 18, 12:12 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 12:12 PM
    It seems to me that unless I am misunderstanding your PayPal account has simply received a series of payments via friends and family which you then withdrew to your bank account

thus you have done nothing wrong in PayPal's eyes and you should immediately dispute the chargeback of the funds
    • molerat
    • By molerat 10th Aug 18, 12:31 PM
    • 19,455 Posts
    • 13,659 Thanks
    molerat
    It seems to me that unless I am misunderstanding your PayPal account has simply received a series of payments via friends and family which you then withdrew to your bank account
    Originally posted by 18cc
    ........ and immediately transferred out to a third party bank account.

I'm sticking with my previous comment
    I would be worried about a likely CIFAS marker heading your way for complicity in money laundering / fraud which could lead to your bank accounts being closed down.
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 10th Aug 18, 1:52 PM
    • 805 Posts
    • 532 Thanks
    18cc
    yes but from a paypal point of view it has just been withdrawn to a linked bank account
    • CakeCrusader
    • By CakeCrusader 10th Aug 18, 2:55 PM
    • 571 Posts
    • 290 Thanks
    CakeCrusader
    paypal have to adhere to money laundering regulations, just like any other bank.

Molerat is right, you need to prepare yourself for being hit with a CIFAS marker and your bank closing your account.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 10th Aug 18, 6:37 PM
    • 19,455 Posts
    • 13,659 Thanks
    molerat
    yes but from a paypal point of view it has just been withdrawn to a linked bank account
    Originally posted by 18cc
    OP will have to make a case to dispute the chargeback, they are not just going to roll over and cancel it. The truth of what happened will just dig a deeper hole.
    • Craig1981
    • By Craig1981 10th Aug 18, 7:15 PM
    • 352 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    Craig1981
    smells of money laundering to me. surely you could have sensed something wrong?
    and surely you can only use paypal to send to other paypal accounts?
    there is more to this story than has been said...

if it is as it is, you would surely have email documentation requesting the help you have given? text messages, whatsapp messages etc to back your innocence
    • Ff1478
    • By Ff1478 13th Aug 18, 2:04 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Ff1478
    Hi ya thank you to everyone for your replies kind words and advice
    I had a very stressful day on Friday and honsestly thought she had no intentions of sending me the 1600 for me to pay back to pay pal
    I spoke to pay pal and fully explained The situation and my stupidity of getting involved in this
    they were very understanding and sympathetic they said I had 2 choices to either report my friend for fraud To action fraud or to get her to transfer the money Back
    They assured me once my Account was back to zero and the cases were closed that would be the end of it for me
    I spent a few anxious hours speaking to texting
    And arguing with my Friends husband but eventually after the goal posts
    Being moved all day long and me thinking I had been conned they did pay the money back to me and I paid it back to pay pal
    My account is now. Back to zero and all the restrictions on y account have been lifted
    I was left with 70 in charges which I cleared myself but thank god I was only 70 out of pocket not 1600
    I am so angry with my self for getting myself into their mess and for causing me so much stress I didn't earn anything out of it and ended up costing me money
    I have learnt my lesson and will never trust anyone again
    It was a valuable lesson for my 13 year old son too his "friend" stole 10 off him a few weeks ago and he was sooo upset and we had the not all friends are real friends and be careful who you trust chat and now I could say see it's not even just kids that get screwed over by "friends" and even silly old women like ya mum can fall for it
    I won't fall for it again EVER
    I have got all the evidence of everything
    Messages emails texts
    Message and even a few recorded telephone calls which I will keep hold of just incase this isn't the end of it and I do end up with police on my
    Door step st some point although I hope to god this really is the end of a stupid and costly mistake I made for trusting and wanting to help out a "friend"

Thanks again everyone I really appreciate your time and advice x
    • fannyadams
    • By fannyadams 13th Aug 18, 8:00 AM
    • 1,637 Posts
    • 2,470 Thanks
    fannyadams
    So GLAD to read that your 'friend' has decided to give it all back!
    Hopefully, you can let all her other friends know what she's really like.
    Sorry to hear about your son's issue as well, sort of glad he made this mistake now and not later on in life and that you were able to give him 'life advice' about trust etc.
    All the Best
    FA
    xx
    just in case you need to know:
    HWTHMBO - He Who Thinks He Must Be Obeyed
    DS#1 - my teenaged son
    DS#2 - my other teenaged son
    Barkin Things - my two retired greyhounds
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,266Posts Today

8,655Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Very kind. But it'd be an economic nightmare. People would get the note out, see me, and think, nah I probably shou? https://t.co/BYtFaddGcW

• Today?s twitter poll: Does President Trump put you off visiting the USA?? On Friday I did a poll about cities you'? https://t.co/5gbpoA9bF9

• RT @helen_undy: We're expanding our trustee board at this exciting point in @mmhpi's development, looking for 3 talented people to join @Ma?

• Follow Martin