Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 10th Aug 18, 9:01 AM
    • 366Posts
    • 132Thanks
    MSE Callum
    0 WOW
    House of Fraser falls into administration - MSE News
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:01 AM
    0 WOW
    House of Fraser falls into administration - MSE News 10th Aug 18 at 9:01 AM
    Department store House of Fraser has fallen into administration - though its stores will remain open and continue trading as normal for now...
    Read the full story:
    'House of Fraser falls into administration'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 10th Aug 18, 11:38 AM
    • 7,493 Posts
    • 6,271 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 10th Aug 18, 11:38 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 11:38 AM
    House of Fraser customers will now have to squeeze past step ladders to be told they cannot have a refund, only a credit note.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 10th Aug 18, 12:22 PM
    • 4,925 Posts
    • 2,448 Thanks
    Consumerist
    • 10th Aug 18, 12:22 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 12:22 PM
    Made redundant or transferred to Sports Direct - devil or deep blue sea for the employees.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • Gordon the Moron
    • By Gordon the Moron 10th Aug 18, 12:47 PM
    • 1,436 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    Gordon the Moron
    • 10th Aug 18, 12:47 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 12:47 PM
    Not sure which is the devil.
    If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
    • Rich2808
    • By Rich2808 10th Aug 18, 6:59 PM
    • 651 Posts
    • 494 Thanks
    Rich2808
    • 10th Aug 18, 6:59 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 6:59 PM
    Will you get a £5 in store voucher when you buy something online at House of Fraser from now on?
    • meltedlemondrop
    • By meltedlemondrop 11th Aug 18, 4:12 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    meltedlemondrop
    • 11th Aug 18, 4:12 PM
    Update:
    • 11th Aug 18, 4:12 PM
    On reading this I planned to go in and spend the £140 of House of Fraser gift cards I have immediately to avoid losing them, however I thought it was worth ringing first and I've now been told I won't be able to use them at all (not even after 24 hours) and so I need to return them to head office to get replacements. This is not a freepost address so I would be expecting that House of Fraser would be reimbursing us all for the cost of postage?
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 11th Aug 18, 6:07 PM
    • 8,666 Posts
    • 9,902 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 11th Aug 18, 6:07 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 6:07 PM
    Will you get a £5 in store voucher when you buy something online at House of Fraser from now on?
    Originally posted by Rich2808
    Or a large mug?
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • donnac2558
    • By donnac2558 12th Aug 18, 7:24 PM
    • 2,563 Posts
    • 2,178 Thanks
    donnac2558
    • 12th Aug 18, 7:24 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 7:24 PM
    PMSL

He owns Flannels a very highend designer brand.

Owns 30% of Debenhams.

No zero hours contracts there.

No ladders either.
    • Firemunchkin
    • By Firemunchkin 13th Aug 18, 8:38 PM
    • 275 Posts
    • 485 Thanks
    Firemunchkin
    • 13th Aug 18, 8:38 PM
    • 13th Aug 18, 8:38 PM
    Does anyone know why Mike Ashley is refusing to accept gift cards? Forgive my ignorance but the company hasn't changed, just the owner. If a company is a legal person in its own right (standard company law principle) then why would a change in owner affect the company's ability to accept its own issued gift cards? If they're issuing replacements then it doesn't sound like a fiscal issue but something else.

There's also no indication of how long the replacement gift card will take to arrive, or whether they require a prepaid envelope for this? What if the returned gift card is lost in the post? Obviously I'll be sending mine by recorded delivery but I doubt MAshley will authorise the same for return.

I might well have missed something which answers these questions, but it seems even the staff don't know what is going on so hoping to get a bit more info here.

• prowla
    • By prowla 13th Aug 18, 8:44 PM
    • 10,089 Posts
    • 8,311 Thanks
    prowla
    Does anyone know why Mike Ashley is refusing to accept gift cards? Forgive my ignorance but the company hasn't changed, just the owner. If a company is a legal person in its own right (standard company law principle) then why would a change in owner affect the company's ability to accept its own issued gift cards? If they're issuing replacements then it doesn't sound like a fiscal issue but something else.

There's also no indication of how long the replacement gift card will take to arrive, or whether they require a prepaid envelope for this? What if the returned gift card is lost in the post? Obviously I'll be sending mine by recorded delivery but I doubt MAshley will authorise the same for return.

I might well have missed something which answers these questions, but it seems even the staff don't know what is going on so hoping to get a bit more info here.
    Originally posted by Firemunchkin
    I think that the act of it going into administration makes the difference.
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 14th Aug 18, 12:18 AM
    • 16,130 Posts
    • 22,973 Thanks
    antrobus

Originally posted by Firemunchkin
    The company has changed. The House of Fraser PLC is in administration. Sports Direct purchased its business and assets for £90m from the administrators. The liabilities remain with House of Fraser PLC.
    • meltedlemondrop
    • By meltedlemondrop 14th Aug 18, 2:38 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    meltedlemondrop
    I have just paid for special delivery to send my gift card back to HOF because the post office teller told me PO wouldn't cover it if it was lost. They told me some woman said HOF were reimbursing postage - she read it off an article which is why I gave in. However I can find no reference to this online and fear I may have just shelled out £6.50 for no reason. Anyone had any word to this?
    • VT82
    • By VT82 14th Aug 18, 4:07 PM
    • 998 Posts
    • 835 Thanks
    VT82
    I have just paid for special delivery to send my gift card back to HOF because the post office teller told me PO wouldn't cover it if it was lost. They told me some woman said HOF were reimbursing postage - she read it off an article which is why I gave in. However I can find no reference to this online and fear I may have just shelled out £6.50 for no reason. Anyone had any word to this?
    Originally posted by meltedlemondrop
    I doubt very much they will refund postage costs.

I plan to risk uninsured delivery personally for sending in my gift card with £80 of balance, but I just don't want to do it yet. I'm in the camp of 'why are they asking us to exchange them this way?' cynicism - if they are honouring it £ for £ with a new gift card valid at HoF, why the rigmarole? What aren't they telling us?
    • luvchocolate
    • By luvchocolate 14th Aug 18, 4:07 PM
    • 1,668 Posts
    • 1,501 Thanks
    luvchocolate
    Is it possible to merge the two threads on the HOF??
    • marleneive
    • By marleneive 15th Aug 18, 11:47 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    marleneive
    I have £350 in House of Fraser e vouchers. Anyone ideas what I should do with these. I have them on an email from HoF
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 15th Aug 18, 4:31 PM
    • 12,547 Posts
    • 11,732 Thanks
    jenniewb
    Can someone from MSE please update? I've just seen this article and thread and have £30 in vouchers I'd like back or to spend. I don't know if I can send them to the address mentioned for a refund or reissue or can spend them as normal in the stores.

If anyone else has been to HoF since 4pm Tuesday the 14th and has any info it would be really helpful to let everyone know!
    • unethical
    • By unethical 11th Sep 18, 10:39 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    unethical
    Any further update??
    Can someone from MSE please update? I've just seen this article and thread and have £30 in vouchers I'd like back or to spend. I don't know if I can send them to the address mentioned for a refund or reissue or can spend them as normal in the stores.

If anyone else has been to HoF since 4pm Tuesday the 14th and has any info it would be really helpful to let everyone know!
    Originally posted by jenniewb
    I sent my £100 gift card back by recorded delivery almost immediately but havenít heard a thing! Do we know how long we are expected to wait, the internet and HoF seem to have gone very quiet on the matter. Iím so disappointed as it was my 40th birthday present from my family
    Zopa: £1210.17 (£989.39) Santander: £1685.10 (£467.98)
    Barclaycard: £6402.79 (£6438.28) HMRC 1:705.69 (£696.89)
    HMRC 2: £1699.09 (£1677.89) Student Loan: £4569.51(£4476.51) Vanquis:£644.79 Tesco:£931.18 (Total debt up by £50.56)
    Make £10 a day challenge-May=£19.06
    Payment a day challenge=£316.37 so far
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 12th Sep 18, 5:06 AM
    • 12,547 Posts
    • 11,732 Thanks
    jenniewb
    I sent my £100 gift card back by recorded delivery almost immediately but havenít heard a thing! Do we know how long we are expected to wait, the internet and HoF seem to have gone very quiet on the matter. Iím so disappointed as it was my 40th birthday present from my family
    Originally posted by unethical
    The thing is, even if we did know how long we were supposed to wait, I don't think anyone knows where or who we'd contact about finding out what is going on or demanding a refund anyway. I think we've all been screwed over and I don't think I'd be suprized if I were to find out they just binned all the letters send to the address we all sent our cards to.

We need to have someone start up a petition so brands can't do this sort of thing, and that promises to replace vouchers should be uphelpd and fines should be metered if they are ignoring customer requests- sent at their suggestion to send to them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

507Posts Today

5,592Users online

Martin's Twitter