Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 10th Aug 18, 7:41 AM
    • 13,542Posts
    • 42,329Thanks
    sarah1972
    0 WOW
    House of Fraser now calls in Administrators
    • 10th Aug 18, 7:41 AM
    0 WOW
    House of Fraser now calls in Administrators 10th Aug 18 at 7:41 AM
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45140874

Department store chain House of Fraser is to appoint administrators after giving up the fight to save the business.
    In a statement, it said that talks with investors and creditors had "not concluded in a solvent solution".
    House of Fraser employs 17,500 people, including 11,500 concession staff.
    Its fate was sealed earlier this month, when Chinese firm C.banner pulled out of a rescue deal that would have brought much-needed investment.
    House of Fraser said administrators Ernst & Young had confirmed that the business would continue trading, including all stores and offices, while they attempted to complete a sale.
    All 59 shops are set to open as usual on Friday, including 31 that have already been earmarked for closure as part of a restructuring agreement.
    House of Fraser: Five things that went wrong
    The firm said: "Significant progress has been made towards completing a sale of the group's business and assets.
    "The proposed administrators are expected to continue to progress those discussions with a view to concluding a transaction shortly after their appointment."
    Chief executive Alex Williamson said: "We are hopeful that the current negotiations will shortly be concluded. An acquisition of the 169-year-old retail business will see House of Fraser regain stability, certainty and financial strength.
    "In the two weeks since the Cenbest and C.banner transaction ceased, the directors have brought forward a number of potential buyers and the group's financial advisers have run a comprehensive M&A process to identify and then develop other third-party interest that has culminated in the senior secured creditors leading negotiations with parties at a critical pace."
    Chairman Frank Slevin said: "This has been an extraordinarily challenging six months in which the business has delivered so many critical elements of the turnaround plan.
    "Despite the very recent termination of the transaction between Cenbest and C.banner, I am confident House of Fraser is close to securing its future.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
Page 1
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 10th Aug 18, 8:15 AM
    • 10,167 Posts
    • 125,653 Thanks
    kazwookie
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:15 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:15 AM
    There have been rumblings of this happening for about 2 to 3 months.

Yet another nail in the coffin of the high street. (IMO)
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky is back on!
    • FOFI
    • By FOFI 10th Aug 18, 8:21 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    FOFI
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:21 AM
    Will my HoF vouchers still be valid?
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:21 AM
    I have 50.00 of vouchers i plan to use tomorrow will they still be accepted?
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 10th Aug 18, 11:46 AM
    • 13,542 Posts
    • 42,329 Thanks
    sarah1972
    • 10th Aug 18, 11:46 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 11:46 AM
    I have 50.00 of vouchers i plan to use tomorrow will they still be accepted?
    Originally posted by FOFI
    Yes, use it quickly https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/shopping/2018/08/house-of-fraser-falls-into-administration?utm_content=1533893095&utm_medium=s ocial&utm_source=multiple
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • SJAG
    • By SJAG 10th Aug 18, 12:23 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SJAG
    • 10th Aug 18, 12:23 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 12:23 PM
    Unfortunately we have unused vouchers that we received as a wedding present. HOF are refusing to take these this morning.

Seemingly the staff were briefed before opening that they were not to accept them which is clearly different to what they have told the team/MSE journalist in the above link.
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 10th Aug 18, 12:38 PM
    • 13,542 Posts
    • 42,329 Thanks
    sarah1972
    • 10th Aug 18, 12:38 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 12:38 PM
    Unfortunately we have unused vouchers that we received as a wedding present. HOF are refusing to take these this morning.

Seemingly the staff were briefed before opening that they were not to accept them which is clearly different to what they have told the team/MSE journalist in the above link.
    Originally posted by SJAG
    Thanks for letting us know, I have messaged the forum team to make them aware.
    • CHRISSYG
    • By CHRISSYG 10th Aug 18, 12:43 PM
    • 5,778 Posts
    • 16,675 Thanks
    CHRISSYG
    • 10th Aug 18, 12:43 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 12:43 PM
    Looks like its been bought by Mike Ashley [sports direct owner ]
    Be careful who you entrust with the care of you vulnerable loved ones theres a lot of bottom feeding scum posing as normal human beings !
    • FOFI
    • By FOFI 10th Aug 18, 4:50 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    FOFI
    • 10th Aug 18, 4:50 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 4:50 PM
    Hi,
    I managed to use mine online this afternoon, they were refused this morning, but are now taking them . they couldn't confirm when I messaged the re instore use.
    • gardner1
    • By gardner1 10th Aug 18, 4:57 PM
    • 2,760 Posts
    • 4,103 Thanks
    gardner1
    • 10th Aug 18, 4:57 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 4:57 PM
    So Fat Mike has taken them over which is good news for most of the staff.....but its a bit like selling your soul to the devil
    • FOFI
    • By FOFI 10th Aug 18, 5:02 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    FOFI

Originally posted by SJAG
    try again now online! I managed to use mine, but the person I spoke to couldn't confirm that they were accepting them in store!
    • SJAG
    • By SJAG 10th Aug 18, 5:29 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SJAG
    It went through online after half 2. Will see if goods appear. Just chose anything in the hope that physical products will be easily exchanged for other physical products in store.
    • gardner1
    • By gardner1 10th Aug 18, 7:43 PM
    • 2,760 Posts
    • 4,103 Thanks
    gardner1
    He's probably used 90M of Newcastle's TV money to buy them now i know why we haven't signed a decent player
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 10th Aug 18, 8:40 PM
    • 33,144 Posts
    • 20,869 Thanks
    DCFC79
    He's probably used 90M of Newcastle's TV money to buy them now i know why we haven't signed a decent player
    Originally posted by gardner1
    Lets see what happens this season, could be a touch and go season for them.
    The sooner he sells the club the better.
    • FOFI
    • By FOFI 14th Aug 18, 8:56 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    FOFI
    update re voucher used on line
    My order is still sitting in placed and when i used the I've chat line they said- wait for updates- not hopeful now after being naive enough to think all was ok when they accepted them on Friday................
    Also they have taken the money from my credit card via PayPal on Friday.
    Last edited by FOFI; 14-08-2018 at 9:02 AM. Reason: update re payment
    • FOFI
    • By FOFI 28th Aug 18, 9:02 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    FOFI
    Hi, over two weeks (10th August) since I placed an order and it was cancelled (16th August ) I have still not receive a refund on my credit card.
    my order was split as follows: 73.00 credit card via pay pal and 50.00 via gift card. they took the credit card payment on the 10th.
    My concern is particularly about the credit card payment as this money was taken from my account after Sports direct purchased HoF
    I have written to customer service at HoF and opened a case with PayPal.
    very frustrated and not sure what else I can do?
    Last edited by FOFI; 28-08-2018 at 9:04 AM. Reason: more detail
    • 96moham
    • By 96moham 18th Sep 18, 1:32 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    96moham
    Help! Lost deposit
    Wondering if anyone can help. We paid our deposit via chip and pin visa BEFORE administration. We missed this in the news and then AFTER administration, called up to pay remaining balance. No mention of any issue by HoF. We were then told that our original deposit wasnt valid and to process the order, wed have to pay another deposit. Bank wont budge on a charge back as they say it was chip and pin. HoF obviously not budging. Im down to wondering about going in to store, as a creditor with no dishonest intent, and walking out with the value of goods. Any help/ advice please!!??
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 20th Sep 18, 3:48 AM
    • 12,558 Posts
    • 11,758 Thanks
    jenniewb
    Wondering if anyone can help. We paid our deposit via chip and pin visa BEFORE administration. We missed this in the news and then AFTER administration, called up to pay remaining balance. No mention of any issue by HoF. We were then told that our original deposit wasnt valid and to process the order, wed have to pay another deposit. Bank wont budge on a charge back as they say it was chip and pin. HoF obviously not budging. Im down to wondering about going in to store, as a creditor with no dishonest intent, and walking out with the value of goods. Any help/ advice please!!??
    Originally posted by 96moham
    Sadly the law is on the side of the cheat here and not on your side. It would land you arrested and liable for the items you've effectively stolen as well as a possible fine and criminal record. It would not get you the items which are on paper, yours. It's screwed up but this guy knew what he was doing and chose to do it exactly for the reason you are annoyed at- so he didn't have any liability to paying you back or allowing you the items you are due. If you want a clearer picture; he waited until the brand went into administration and then was able to wipe out any financial agreements and debts- when HoF went into administration, the terms and conditions signed by Mike Ashley were specifically set to ignore and wipe out all debts due to be paid, in items or money.

In anyone else's book I'd class that as theft...something is really rotten at the people who made this law and allowed something like this to happen and keep on happening.

I hope that someone with a legal mind and contacts enough raises a petition against this brand and the law that has allowed him to act this way. I don't have any faith it will do anything, politicians in this society seem to value cash coming their way over and above any morals, ethics and levels of human decency.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

168Posts Today

1,554Users online

Martin's Twitter