Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Wackydude1234
    • By Wackydude1234 10th Aug 18, 2:10 AM
    • 8Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Wackydude1234
    After finally getting agency to replace my bathroom floor they haven't removed the remains/rubbish
    • 10th Aug 18, 2:10 AM
    After finally getting agency to replace my bathroom floor they haven't removed the remains/rubbish 10th Aug 18 at 2:10 AM
    When i moved in to my flat in may I gave my agency a long list of things wrong with the flat that needed to be repaired, nothing has been repaired and we're now in august, the only thing sorted on that list is the bathroom after I had an emergency because the toilet came away from the wall and waste sewage started to flood my bathroom. The reason for this is the floor had rotted.

The agency called someone out to replace the floor, this was done at the end of june, I've since called my agency 4 times asking for them to remove the remains of the flooring that the workers left outside my flat, each time they say they'll contact the company that did the replacement floor in the bathroom and each time nothing happens, the rubbish is sitting outside my flat and it's a complete eyesore!!!
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 10th Aug 18, 4:01 AM
    • 46,148 Posts
    • 55,826 Thanks
    G_M
    • 10th Aug 18, 4:01 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 4:01 AM
    Have you reported all the issues, including the incomplete floor replacement, to the landlord, in writing, using the address that must be provided by law?

See also:

* Repairing Obligations: the law, common misconceptions, reporting/enforcing, retaliatory eviction & the new tenant protection (2015)
    • Wackydude1234
    • By Wackydude1234 10th Aug 18, 4:45 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Wackydude1234
    • 10th Aug 18, 4:45 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 4:45 AM
    I don't even know who my landlord is, I've only ever had my agency contact details, this is my first time moving out and i feel like they are taking the !!!!, my curtain rail is half hanging off, i have multiple sockets that are unable to be used since there appears to be foreign objects in them, my bathroom and kitchen extractor fans don't work im at a loss.
    • _shel
    • By _shel 10th Aug 18, 4:50 AM
    • 1,647 Posts
    • 2,947 Thanks
    _shel
    • 10th Aug 18, 4:50 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 4:50 AM
    I don't even know who my landlord is, I've only ever had my agency contact details, this is my first time moving out and i feel like they are taking the !!!!, my curtain rail is half hanging off, i have multiple sockets that are unable to be used since there appears to be foreign objects in them, my bathroom and kitchen extractor fans don't work im at a loss.
    Originally posted by Wackydude1234
    Curtain rail would probably be your responsibility (check your tenancy agreement) but everything else is theirs.
    You should know how to get in touch with your landlord. Maybe check your local Council website to see if they have licensing/enforcement for private landlords and ask their help.
    • Wackydude1234
    • By Wackydude1234 10th Aug 18, 5:39 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Wackydude1234
    • 10th Aug 18, 5:39 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 5:39 AM
    It was half hanging off when we arrived but it's not the biggest issue
    • Wackydude1234
    • By Wackydude1234 10th Aug 18, 5:40 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Wackydude1234
    • 10th Aug 18, 5:40 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 5:40 AM
    I only know how to contact my agency i was never given a landlord contact
    • Grezz24
    • By Grezz24 10th Aug 18, 8:43 AM
    • 189 Posts
    • 234 Thanks
    Grezz24
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:43 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:43 AM
    the landlord's contact details will be in your copy of the contract you have, failing that the letting agency legally has to provide you with contact details for your landlord.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 10th Aug 18, 8:49 AM
    • 13,346 Posts
    • 19,224 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:49 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:49 AM
    I only know how to contact my agency i was never given a landlord contact
    They are not your agency. They are an agent employed by your landlord to act on his behalf. Read your tenancy agreement, who is named as your landlord because that's who your contract is with. The landlord might use an address c/o a letting agent but that does not mean you have any contract whatsoever with the letting agent.
    • m0bov
    • By m0bov 10th Aug 18, 8:51 AM
    • 1,395 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    m0bov
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:51 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:51 AM
    Who is named on your contract? Otherwise, as above, write to the "landlords" agency and ask them for the UK address for the purpose of serving notice. If they don't, come back to us. Do you have your deposit in a protected scheme? Gas checks up to date? Fire alarms?
    • oystercatcher
    • By oystercatcher 10th Aug 18, 8:51 AM
    • 1,747 Posts
    • 4,448 Thanks
    oystercatcher
    Unless the flooring company had agreed to remove the rubbish in the initial agreement then I suspect it is your responsibility to remove the rubbish.
    • Wackydude1234
    • By Wackydude1234 10th Aug 18, 12:44 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Wackydude1234
    I was never informed of this and the agency keeps saying they'll get it removed, I'll look at the contract later but I'm pretty sure there wasn't a any information about the landlord in it
    • captainpants
    • By captainpants 10th Aug 18, 12:46 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    captainpants
    Just visit their offices with the rubbish and leave it for them to sort out.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 10th Aug 18, 12:48 PM
    • 5,778 Posts
    • 5,974 Thanks
    Comms69
    I was never informed of this and the agency keeps saying they'll get it removed, I'll look at the contract later but I'm pretty sure there wasn't a any information about the landlord in it
    Well the agency 'might' be your landlord; but it's far more likely to be an individual.

That is who your contract is with.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 10th Aug 18, 1:45 PM
    • 7,671 Posts
    • 6,418 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Unless the flooring company had agreed to remove the rubbish in the initial agreement then I suspect it is your responsibility to remove the rubbish.
    Originally posted by oystercatcher
    Unlikely to be the tenants responsibility. Either the people who did the work depending on what they were paid to do or the landlords responsibility.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • lookstraightahead
    • By lookstraightahead 10th Aug 18, 5:10 PM
    • 619 Posts
    • 594 Thanks
    lookstraightahead
    Originally posted by oystercatcher
    Are you being serious? Why on earth would the tenant be responsible for moving the landlords rubbish?
    • G_M
    • By G_M 11th Aug 18, 6:53 PM
    • 46,148 Posts
    • 55,826 Thanks
    G_M
    The tenancy agreement will have a space for the name of the landlord.
    And a space for the name of the tenant.

By law, the tenant must also be given, in writing (usually on the tenancy agreement) an address 'for serving notices' on the landlord (though this can be c/o someone else eg an agent). Landlord and Tenant Act 1987 S48. Without this you do not have to pay rent.

Additionally, if you write to the agent, they have to give you the name and actual address of the landlord. Refusal is a criminal offense.
    Landlord & Tenant Act 1985 S1.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 11th Aug 18, 7:37 PM
    • 1,005 Posts
    • 1,225 Thanks
    need an answer

Additionally, if you write to the agent, they have to give you the name and actual address of the landlord. Refusal is a criminal offense.
    Landlord & Tenant Act 1985 S1.
    Originally posted by G_M
    GM....

Is this specific to just the tenant being able to write to the agent or can someone different write to the agent to obtain the details of LL name and address?

I ask because I am having an issue with the upstairs tenant to a property I own and the agent is at present refusing to give details of the owner to me and the tenant who lives there only deals with the agent and cant find his tenancy agreement

I now want to instigate court action against the owner for water damage to my tenanted property but other than the managing agent I have no contact details and they have been evasive in wanting to answer my requests for the details.

apologies to OP for taking off topic but seen as its been quoted I thought I may ask....
    in S 42 T 64 F 66
    out S 60 T 69 F 78
    2017 -32
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 12th Aug 18, 12:49 AM
    • 5,722 Posts
    • 8,025 Thanks
    deannatrois
    Need and Answer : Probably best to start your own thread if you can.

Re: the OP - try and replace the curtain rail, this can be done fairly economically but the plug sockets should be investigated and sorted by the LL/agent.

See https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/repairs/what_to_do_if_your_landlord_wont_do_repairs
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 12th Aug 18, 8:21 AM
    • 1,005 Posts
    • 1,225 Thanks
    need an answer
    Thanks Deanna,itsd not a problem really I just thought I'd ask the Q on the offchance that GM was around at the time.

It doesn't warrant a thread and in honesty I may just PM GM if I cant establish the answer before I need to take the next steps.
    in S 42 T 64 F 66
    out S 60 T 69 F 78
    2017 -32
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 12th Aug 18, 10:51 AM
    • 422 Posts
    • 511 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    OP how much stuff has been left behind and what kind of stuff is it?

Do you have a car or can a mate help you out to get it to the local tip?

Can you phone the council, or book online, to collect it as a bulk waste collection?

It clearly isn't going anywhere in a hurry so may as well step up and organise something yourself. This will then free up your time to take the advice given by other members to deal with the other points.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,501Posts Today

10,118Users online

Martin's Twitter