Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ellseerr
    • By Ellseerr 10th Aug 18, 1:52 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Ellseerr
    I smell a rat
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:52 AM
    I smell a rat 10th Aug 18 at 1:52 AM
    Can anyone in the know please give an opinion on what is going on here...

I was in a collision last July whereby an elderly driver merged into my lane taking a turn too widely and hit my car. It was very low speed for me as I saw what he was doing and was all but stopped by the time he hit me. As we were moving from lights he was also moving fairly slowly and I had a lovely frame for frame view of his face, the look of horror etc as he hit me, oblivious to my horn/his being in my lane. Although he scraped up the side of my car and turned my wing mirror upside down, the damage wasnít serious. He claimed against me (!) despite the fact that we were both driving absolute bangers. I wasnít going to claim and didnít due to my car being a 2004 Saab and his a 3000ad Ford. Whatís the point? Anyway. He claimed against me, it was his word vs mine but I was resolute with my insurer that there were no grounds for settlement or me accepting liability and that I would fight to the bitter end etc. They said as both he and I were insured by the same company, it would never go to court and when I sold the car this April with the claim still open, they basically said no worries, weíll sort it thanks, bye.

Fast forward to today a year on from the incident and I have had 20 missed calls in one day from an accident claims company. And right in the middle of those calls I have a missed call from a mobile number and a voicemail from the other driver. He says can he please have my registration number, just for his records, he likes to keep records, nothing to worry about. Sorry, what? This is old news mate, what are you up to?

Is this just a coincidence or is it possible this man has passed my mobile number on to a claims co, and is making an injury claim now?

Just seems a little weird...

Ps all of the numbers are now blocked and Iím not responding to his strange request.
Page 1
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 10th Aug 18, 7:26 AM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 3,163 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 10th Aug 18, 7:26 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 7:26 AM
    Can anyone in the know please give an opinion on what is going on here...

I was in a collision last July whereby an elderly driver merged into my lane taking a turn too widely and hit my car. It was very low speed for me as I saw what he was doing and was all but stopped by the time he hit me. As we were moving from lights he was also moving fairly slowly and I had a lovely frame for frame view of his face, the look of horror etc as he hit me, oblivious to my horn/his being in my lane. Although he scraped up the side of my car and turned my wing mirror upside down, the damage wasnít serious. He claimed against me (!) despite the fact that we were both driving absolute bangers. I wasnít going to claim and didnít due to my car being a 2004 Saab and his a 3000ad Ford. Whatís the point? Anyway. He claimed against me, it was his word vs mine but I was resolute with my insurer that there were no grounds for settlement or me accepting liability and that I would fight to the bitter end etc. They said as both he and I were insured by the same company, it would never go to court and when I sold the car this April with the claim still open, they basically said no worries, weíll sort it thanks, bye.

Fast forward to today a year on from the incident and I have had 20 missed calls in one day from an accident claims company. And right in the middle of those calls I have a missed call from a mobile number and a voicemail from the other driver. He says can he please have my registration number, just for his records, he likes to keep records, nothing to worry about. Sorry, what? This is old news mate, what are you up to?

Is this just a coincidence or is it possible this man has passed my mobile number on to a claims co, and is making an injury claim now?

Just seems a little weird...

Ps all of the numbers are now blocked and Iím not responding to his strange request.
    Originally posted by Ellseerr
    It's absolutely possible this is exactly what's happened. Blocking calls will only work for so long. If he made a claim originally it's a simple matter for him to get the details he needs and make an injury claim now. Whether he'll succeed in his claim or not is another matter.
    • Bigphil1474
    • By Bigphil1474 10th Aug 18, 8:08 AM
    • 884 Posts
    • 381 Thanks
    Bigphil1474
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:08 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:08 AM
    OP, he has probably been pestered by ambulance chasers as well, and succumbed to their nonsense easy money claims. Best ignoring him and them.
    • chrisw
    • By chrisw 10th Aug 18, 8:11 AM
    • 1,776 Posts
    • 1,009 Thanks
    chrisw
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:11 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:11 AM
    If you do answer any calls, don't answer any questions, just refer them to your insurance company.

Likewise, pass on any correspondence to your insurers unanswered.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 10th Aug 18, 8:19 AM
    • 3,213 Posts
    • 3,332 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:19 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:19 AM
    What on earth has "elderly" got to do with it? I very nearly suffered from the same fate caused by a "young" idiot turning out of a driveway while I was stationery at traffic lights yesterday.

Can just imagine what would have been said here if you had mentioned the driver's ethnicity!
    • Ellseerr
    • By Ellseerr 10th Aug 18, 8:30 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Ellseerr
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:30 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:30 AM
    Thanks v much all, I thought that this may be the case but as you say, his insurance co have my details if he wants to do this properly. I shall wait and see if I hear anything more officially.

Lady Dee - bad nightís sleep? He was elderly, itís a factual part of the story not a prejudice opinion so if thatís all youíre here for you should probably go elsewhere
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 10th Aug 18, 8:40 AM
    • 21,214 Posts
    • 17,033 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:40 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:40 AM
    Have you go any photos of his "3000ad Ford"? I'd love to see what cars will be like in 982 years time!
    • Ellseerr
    • By Ellseerr 10th Aug 18, 8:43 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Ellseerr
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:43 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:43 AM
    Ha, one of the few times where an extra 0 isn!!!8217;t a good thing.
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 10th Aug 18, 9:41 AM
    • 2,211 Posts
    • 11,512 Thanks
    NBLondon
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:41 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:41 AM
    A 300AD Ford? Maybe the horse was startled....
    Womble #7 - Running Total £18.53 $2.71 Ä5.96 S//0.10 (10 Ukrainian kopiyki) Bds$0.10 A$0.15 NZ$0.55 C$0.89 S$0.20 zl0.02 (Polish grosze) LB0.22 (Bulgarian stotinka) ISKr 5 DKr 1.0 CHF 0.60 R0.10 (Rand not Rupees) KD0.05 (Kuwaiti fils) MDL0.25 (Moldovan bani)
    • facade
    • By facade 10th Aug 18, 11:05 AM
    • 3,497 Posts
    • 1,839 Thanks
    facade
    What on earth has "elderly" got to do with it? I very nearly suffered from the same fate caused by a "young" idiot turning out of a driveway while I was stationery at traffic lights yesterday.

Can just imagine what would have been said here if you had mentioned the driver's ethnicity!
    Originally posted by LadyDee

There is too much imaginary ism on here.

Are people supposed to write "when a driver of undisclosed age, gender, race, disability, sexuality, employment and marital status, driving a vehicle of undisclosed make crashed into me....."

Most people would tell it like they saw it, it doesn't make it an -ism.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 10th Aug 18, 11:36 AM
    • 3,213 Posts
    • 3,332 Thanks
    LadyDee
    Lady Dee - bad nightís sleep? He was elderly, itís a factual part of the story not a prejudice opinion so if thatís all youíre here for you should probably go elsewhere
    Originally posted by Ellseerr
    No - thanks for asking I slept very well - for an elderly person.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,148Posts Today

6,937Users online

Martin's Twitter