Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 10th Aug 18, 1:09 AM
    • 1,671Posts
    • 18,453Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Old Style Daily Friday 10th August 2018
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:09 AM
    Old Style Daily Friday 10th August 2018 10th Aug 18 at 1:09 AM
    This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning
Page 2
    • poppy811
    • By poppy811 10th Aug 18, 10:20 AM
    • 115 Posts
    • 1,597 Thanks
    poppy811
    Raining hard and quite cool here today. Have just made a batch of choc. chip biscuits. I am going away to my sons for a couple of days so these plus a small fruit cake will no doubt be appreciated by my grandchildren.

I went with friends to see Andre Rieu last night. It was being streamed to our local cinema from Maastricht, really lifted my spirits.

Hoping something can be arranged for your husband Csarina stick to your guns! As always thinking of TA
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 10th Aug 18, 11:32 AM
    • 929 Posts
    • 12,612 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Morning all
    I was up, out and at 'em early this morning because some idiot knocked on the door. Not only was it the wrong door, but the wrong street too .
    We have had rain ( and don't my joints know it ! ) and quite a bit by the looks of it. It was still raining when we went to town but as it's mostly undercover we were ok. I did put a cradi on though, as it was 10 degrees cooler . I only went to the bank to pay in a cheque and then in Wil*os for some OTC meds ( some deep freeze for Mr Fix It's knee and a bottle of cough medicine for me, as I gave Dad my last one ).
    Today I'm doing absolutely nothing, so there . Seriously there is nothing that really needs doing anyway so I'm having a day off for the Queen. Mr Fix It is online with the DGS, playing some game, so the kids are happy . Honestly I don't know which is the child and which is the adult .

Tea tonight will be something, we shan't starve as there really is plenty in. I suppose there's always sausage, egg and chips to fall back on .
    Right more coffee for me so I hope everyone has a goodish Friday.

TA please give Mr TA a hug from me and one for yourself of course.
    TRU good on you for standing your ground. The posy sounds lovely.
    AOD hope the anti b's kick in soon
    Elona have you been able to cuddle your DGD yet ? Hope both Mum and daughter are doing well.
    Poppy glad you enjoyed Andre, he was my late Mum's favourite too.
    Camelot glad you had a good time in Lisbon
    Nelski trust you to side with MR Fix It ! I'm disappointed in you . Strangely enough there was a boat drawn on the patio, think Mr Fix It fancies himself as a Captain Birds *ye. He looks like him if you squint . On the subject of George Clooney mmmmm ..... well let's say him being my chef wouldn't be the job I'd give him

Looks like the rain has stopped and the sky is brightening again . So I'm off as the kettle is calling TTFN.
    Take care all, the hug bucket has been replenished so please help yourselves if you need one, or more.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 10th Aug 18, 12:39 PM
    • 10,829 Posts
    • 119,134 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Hi all.

I'm afraid I'm struggling to keep up with the Daily Thread; just not enough hours in the day for everything, so having to limit my MSE time.

So.... (((HUGS))) posi-vibes and spoons in tidy piles; plenty to go round so please come and take what you need.

Hoping thins will settle down a bit soon, but not counting on it.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 10th Aug 18, 1:04 PM
    • 1,831 Posts
    • 22,270 Thanks
    RosyRed
    Afternoon all,

Quite showery here and had a heavy downpour last night.
    New tenants have been moving in next door since yesterday,not yet met the lady of the house,but dad & lad aged 10 seem really nice.They have a young dog too.Bless him,dad seemed really excited to be moving 'somewhere nice ',I hope they still think that in a few months( the handyman from the letting agency was here at the start of the week painting over the damp in the cellar.They have said now it's not a useable room but storage only )

DGD is here,shortly to be joined by DGS.I had hoped to be able to go to the park with them but I think it's too wet.Perhaps some baking then.
    Nelski, I have to say I'm shocked that James has been replaced by George Clooney as your chef
    Poppy,glad Andre Rieu brightened your spirits x

Just picked my meat pack up from the butchers,so most of it is in the new freezer now,and all written in my inventory -just need to keep on top of it now

Oh Snoozer, I'm so sorry DD isn't pregnant, &to hear that after you'd both been upset after the jewellers Hugs xx
    Camelot,glad you had a good time x

Better go DGS is here,hugs to those in need Csarina,TAs,Ilove comps ,sorry if I missed anyonexx
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 10th Aug 18, 1:30 PM
    • 3,198 Posts
    • 44,291 Thanks
    nmlc
    Afternoon

We now have steady rain - and it's much fresher. Have done several jobs and some important ones, so browsing here for some inspiration for meals!

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 10th Aug 18, 1:35 PM
    • 12,644 Posts
    • 42,965 Thanks
    Nelski
    oh not replaced at all Rosy.....James is of course Executive head chef over seeing menus and adequate use of butter, Simon Rimmer is Pastry chef ( he makes a lovely pie) and George is the sous chef so mostly chopping onions and deseeding my cucumbers.....forgot to mention Jamie is on fish. I like my yacht
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 10th Aug 18, 1:50 PM
    • 16,332 Posts
    • 139,566 Thanks
    JackieO
    For one moment I thought you had supplanted your dreamboat James Nelski

Hi chums its persisting down here in Kent a really good downpour which is badly needed, and although it means my joints creak I am quite happy that its so much cooler and fresher.I can here far of rumbling of thunder as well

I went to my local knitting shop to try to buy some stuffing for some toys I am making and was told the only size pack they had was a large one at £5.50 I think not its only a small amount I need so I will wait and have a further look around when I am on holiday next week.The lady actually said there is a shortage of smaller packs, and everyone had apparently had been moaning about it .Seeing as she had about 10 large bags I would have myself split them up into bags of four and sold them that way ,but I am perhaps more practical She will be stuck with big bags she can't sell not good business to me

Hope everyone has a good Friday and those with poorly folk get lots of help

Take care, must fly, I have a grandson wanting a blt sandwich for lunch, be back later

JackieO x
    Last edited by JackieO; 11-08-2018 at 8:32 AM.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018:Food Budget only
    End of September totals £262.19 1st Oct £30.96
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 10th Aug 18, 2:16 PM
    • 2,284 Posts
    • 23,405 Thanks
    csarina2
    Went in to see OH and he is not coming home until his care plan is in place, so I presume it will be sometime next week. I am going to see if the Dr will recommend OH for 1 day a week at the local day hospice which will give me some breathing space for a few hours.

They moved him last night after he complained about the patient with the CRO infection coming across and trying to get into bed with him and stealing the walker they have provided for OH, he is now in a bay with 2 other patients who seem to sleep most of the time, but more especially at night, so he had a decent night last night.....

Cancelled my eye appointment for next week, will wait and see how OH gets on before I get the Dr to make another one. have also cancelled the holiday booking, no way he is going to be fit to go.

I am exhausted, the gardener is here but once he has gone I am going to bed for a couple of hours.

The day started sunny, but we have had a slight shower, just wet the pavement and no more.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 10th Aug 18, 5:20 PM
    • 4,903 Posts
    • 45,640 Thanks
    Floss
    Csarina glad that a more sensible decision has been made & that a care plan is to be put together. Hope you feel a bit more rested xx
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 10th Aug 18, 5:39 PM
    • 3,198 Posts
    • 44,291 Thanks
    nmlc
    Evening everyone

Csarina - I'd be very vigilant regarding your DH being sent home. They tried to send mum home without a care plan on a Friday night and someone would be in touch on the Saturday ...... yeah right! Luckily she had a bad night with obs and they couldn't let her out anyway. I don't think it's particularly the staff's fault they're under so much pressure to meet targets and get beds available.

Getting some respite days where he goes to a couple of times a week sounds like a good plan, to give you some rest. Perhaps your GP could help with this.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 10th Aug 18, 6:34 PM
    • 2,142 Posts
    • 22,493 Thanks
    snoozer
    Oh dear, I'm sorry to have posted such a pathetic screed, I was obviously up far too early.

Anyway we're back to positivity - the aunt of a friend was diagnosed with CLL at 83 and died at 103 after breaking her hip!

Laura has made it to Mexico City and will let me know when she gets to Guadalajara but has met up with the PR woman so she is not alone.

We have made it to Edinburgh (Portobello actually) and it is pouring down but we don't have to go anywhere tonight so we're not bothered. I brought the ingredients to make a kedgeree so I'm looking forward to that after what seems to be an almost endless diet of salads.

Gers, what good news about your mum. Csarina, I'm glad DH is staying put for the moment, sometimes with mum we felt like the hospital had a revolving door, she would be discharged one day and back the next.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,873Posts Today

8,770Users online

Martin's Twitter