Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Adam12321
    • By Adam12321 9th Aug 18, 11:02 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Adam12321
    How to tell if this wall is load bearing
    • 9th Aug 18, 11:02 PM
    How to tell if this wall is load bearing 9th Aug 18 at 11:02 PM
    Ok, So I have made an offer on a property and I want to change the design of the kitchen.

Currently the boiler is in a cupboard type room with a door, when knocking the wall to the side it sounds hollow.

It's a Dorma bungalow. Is there anyway to tell if this is a load bearing wall for certain? That way I can get a new kitchen and put the boiler in a kitchen unit instead of its own room!

I dunno how to add the image to this thread.
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 10th Aug 18, 4:24 AM
    • 44,963 Posts
    • 53,581 Thanks
    G_M
    • 10th Aug 18, 4:24 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 4:24 AM
    Knocking on a wall is a good indication.

A plasterboard wall will sound hollow. A solid wall will not.

But that is just a crude test. If this issue is a show-stopper for you (ie you would not buy the property is the wall is load-bearing) then instruct a Structural Engineer to tell you.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 10th Aug 18, 6:16 AM
    • 25,843 Posts
    • 94,158 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 10th Aug 18, 6:16 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 6:16 AM
    While it's probably not load bearing, taking away a supporting wall usually involves the insertion of a suitable steel beam, perhaps costing an extra 1k for a small span.

By the way, there's no such thing as a 'dorma' bungalow, even if Pavarotti himself once lived in it. The term comes from the use of dormer windows.
    I might be old, but I got to see a lot of good bands...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,775Posts Today

6,651Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin