Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Smd37
    • By Smd37 9th Aug 18, 9:53 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Smd37
    FPS wrong account refund?
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:53 PM
    FPS wrong account refund? 9th Aug 18 at 9:53 PM
    Hi all,

Apologies if this is answered elsewhere, I couldn't find a match for this situation.

Basically, I meant to pay money to the old tenants of a rental house I'm moving into, for some furniture. I clearly messed up, and entered the wrong sort code - mixing up 35-21 & 25-31..... Somehow this was actually an account with HSBC and so the money was deposited.

24 hours later I realised and asked my bank (santander) to refund the money. They've since said they have written to the bank or something, but basically can do nothing more than this.....

Is there anything else I can do? I've given the bank 20 working days and so they've closed the query but no refund
Page 1
    • masonic
    • By masonic 9th Aug 18, 10:09 PM
    • 9,665 Posts
    • 6,864 Thanks
    masonic
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:09 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:09 PM
    The rules around this are summarised here:
    http://www.fasterpayments.org.uk/consumers/what-happens-if-i-have-sent-payment-wrong-place

Santander needs to give you more information about why they've not recovered your money within the specified timescale. You can raise a complaint if they have failed in this area, but there is no guarantee you'll be able to get the money back by this mechanism.
    • karlie88
    • By karlie88 9th Aug 18, 10:34 PM
    • 8,448 Posts
    • 106,262 Thanks
    karlie88
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:34 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:34 PM
    As a side note, I always do the following when sending a payment to someone new (including sending a payment to myself to another account):

- I check, double check and triple check the sort code and account number before I hit the submit button.

- Where possible (and especially for larger payments), I send a small payment across first and ask/check that the recipient has received it before transferring the larger chunk across.

I realise the above is of no use to you now but it's useful for any future payments.
    Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

607Posts Today

6,220Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin