Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sasparillo
    • By sasparillo 9th Aug 18, 9:50 PM
    • 253Posts
    • 34Thanks
    sasparillo
    Accident but no insurance claim
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:50 PM
    Accident but no insurance claim 9th Aug 18 at 9:50 PM
    I recently had a prang in a car park but settled with the other driver without the insurance company involved. This was as a named driver on another person's insurance. I am now taking out insurance for my own car but at least one price comparison site asks about recent accidents. Since the insurance company was contacted and the insurance company has a note of the calls, I am trying to input details. However the site, while stating all accidents must be reported regardless of whether a claim was made, assumes a claim was made and asks for the amount of the claim. Is this only for one's own insurance or is it about accidents? Or am I being totally naive? I don't want to be ambushed down the line by a refusal to pay out if there is future damage to my car because of one phone call to an insurance company.
Page 1
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 9th Aug 18, 10:00 PM
    • 2,066 Posts
    • 1,247 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:00 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:00 PM
    Tell the truth.
    Hi there! Weve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youre unsure why its been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • sasparillo
    • By sasparillo 9th Aug 18, 10:23 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    sasparillo
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:23 PM
    Accident without insurance claim
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:23 PM
    Tell the truth.
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    Hi Andy,

I wasn't planning on not telling the truth (hence my question here) and have been trying to fill in the online form accordingly.

The online form states all accidents must be declared regardless of whether a claim was made. But when I put in that there was an accident, it assumes a claim was made and won't let me continue to the next page without me putting the amount of the insurance company settlement!

Some computer programmer who composed the form seems to have lost the plot at this particular question unless there's something I've missed.

I was actually a named driver on someone else's insurance policy as well rather than it being my own insurance and the form also conflates accidents and insurance - although the initial statement saying all accidents should be declared whether or not a claim was made does separate it out.

How can I continue with getting a quote when the form contradicts itself and won't allow me to continue unless I tell it the amount of the insurance claim?!!!
    • force ten
    • By force ten 9th Aug 18, 10:25 PM
    • 1,705 Posts
    • 1,139 Thanks
    force ten
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:25 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:25 PM
    if during the quotation either online or over the phone you are asked

Have you been involved in any claims or incidents in the last 4 years?
    can you truthfully answer No to that question? if you do say No then you are making a false declaration to your insurer and if you are ever found out then it could have consequences to your current or future insurance

if i was reversing into my drive and clipped the gate post scratching my car and then went and had a smart repair done to fix the scratch and paid for the repair out of my pocket, this is classed as an incident and should be declared and would potentially result in higher premiums

if you do not declare your incident then you are making a false declaration to obtain cheaper insurance, it sucks but that is the way it is
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 9th Aug 18, 10:27 PM
    • 2,066 Posts
    • 1,247 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:27 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:27 PM
    Can't you put unknown in the value?
    Hi there! Weve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youre unsure why its been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 9th Aug 18, 10:30 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:30 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:30 PM
    It is asking for the cost of the claim.

How much money was settled outside the insurance company? That is thw figure you need to put in.
    • force ten
    • By force ten 9th Aug 18, 10:38 PM
    • 1,705 Posts
    • 1,139 Thanks
    force ten
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:38 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:38 PM
    Hi Andy,

How can I continue with getting a quote when the form contradicts itself and won't allow me to continue unless I tell it the amount of the insurance claim?!!!
    Originally posted by sasparillo
    try entering 0.00 as the claim amount to see what you get and if it asks for details then explain as best you can, if that does not work then you would need to phone and speak to an agent

I 100% believe that an accident resulting in a claim should have to be declared but having to declare a brush with a gate post or a wall resulting in a cosmetic scratch and no claim just sucks
    • sasparillo
    • By sasparillo 9th Aug 18, 10:54 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    sasparillo
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:54 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:54 PM
    try entering 0.00 as the claim amount to see what you get and if it asks for details then explain as best you can, if that does not work then you would need to phone and speak to an agent

I 100% believe that an accident resulting in a claim should have to be declared but having to declare a brush with a gate post or a wall resulting in a cosmetic scratch and no claim just sucks
    Originally posted by force ten
    It's a major price comparison site but I'll see whether I can get through to them.

I tried the 0.00 - that was my first thought but it wants a figure over 50 and it says it's specifically for an insurance claim. This is what I mean about conflating a number of things. The first question does separate accidents and insurance but then it refuses to consider the possibility of anything not being claimed for.

Having never been in an accident before, I was naive enough to think that a 22 year old car was repairable in the eyes of an insurance company because it is mechanically sound. I was quickly disabused of that misconception when I called up as a named driver!
    • sasparillo
    • By sasparillo 9th Aug 18, 10:56 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    sasparillo
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:56 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:56 PM
    It is asking for the cost of the claim.

How much money was settled outside the insurance company? That is thw figure you need to put in.
    Originally posted by MovingForwards

Hi, I know that seems logical but it's not asking for that, It's asking for the amount of the insurance claim - hence it sets a minimum of 50.
    • force ten
    • By force ten 9th Aug 18, 11:10 PM
    • 1,705 Posts
    • 1,139 Thanks
    force ten
    could you enter a figure of 50.00 and then see which company comes out with the best quote for you, then go to them direct for an online quote and if that does not work then contact your preferred insurance supplier by phone to talk about your exact requirements
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 9th Aug 18, 11:12 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    Then TBH with you I would forget the comparison sites if you wont put a figure in for how much it cost.

Do your quote the old fashioned way and phone people, means you can clarify what you need to.
    • Cash-Strapped.T32
    • By Cash-Strapped.T32 9th Aug 18, 11:12 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    Cash-Strapped.T32
    I used to get the same situation - a stolen/recovered bike where I didn't need to raise a claim as I carried out the repairs myself...

Despite trying every year, I was never able to input that I had the incident, but that there was no actual claim, or that the value of the claom was zero pounds - I always had to state that the value was 50, despite that being incorrect.

Just shoddy programming on the part of the comparison sites imo.

Luckily next year (well, later this year actually) I'll be able to ignore it as it'll be over 5yrs ago.
    • sasparillo
    • By sasparillo 9th Aug 18, 11:14 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    sasparillo
    could you enter a figure of 50.00 and then see which company comes out with the best quote for you, then go to them direct for an online quote and if that does not work then contact your preferred insurance supplier by phone to talk about your exact requirements
    Originally posted by force ten

I'm hanging my head in shame now after libelling a computer programmer!!!! In the long list detailing the types of collision etc it does say "incident - no claim made" and of course that solves everything. Thanks for trying to think round this - I think I've solved it now! Phew!
    • Cash-Strapped.T32
    • By Cash-Strapped.T32 9th Aug 18, 11:21 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    Cash-Strapped.T32
    I'm hanging my head in shame now after libelling a computer programmer!!!! In the long list detailing the types of collision etc it does say "incident - no claim made" and of course that solves everything. Thanks for trying to think round this - I think I've solved it now! Phew!
    Originally posted by sasparillo
    Really? I was never able to find that option - does it exist on all comparison sites? Interesting...
    • sasparillo
    • By sasparillo 10th Aug 18, 12:06 AM
    • 253 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    sasparillo
    Drop down list
    It was the first one on the drop down list but the list is in a small font and the eye is more drawn to all the different types of accident so it's easy to overlook - at least that's what I'm telling myself!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

318Posts Today

4,124Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin