Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • kjp
    • By kjp 9th Aug 18, 9:39 PM
    • 425Posts
    • 2,254Thanks
    Help - what trades do I need?
    • #1
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:39 PM
    Help - what trades do I need? 9th Aug 18 at 9:39 PM

    First house, weve lived in it for three years now and are ready to redo the kitchen. Weve got a layout and a quote from B&Q, layout were happy with and will get other cabinet quotes. However, we want to knock out a (load bearing were assuming) wall between the kitchen and dining room to get more light into the dining room, and make the kitchen more usable (currently fridge freezer is in dining room).

    Where we are struggling is what trade we need to get in touch with to start getting quotes and the ball rolling! Nothing is moving in the kitchen plumbing or gas wise. The wall we want to knock down has three double sockets and a light switch in it currently. Well need someone to knock down the wall and install an RSJ, make good the join between the two old rooms (and redo the ceiling as its quite tired), sort out the electrics and install the kitchen. Who do I need!

    Also, we live away from family so would be reliant on good old google, are there any recommended websites to find tradespeople?

    Thanks for any help in advance, this is not our area of expertise and family/friends have not done similar jobs!
    House Fund: 2,800/20,000 - 14%
Page 1
    • Robby1988
    • By Robby1988 9th Aug 18, 10:58 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    • #2
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:58 PM
    • #2
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:58 PM
    You need a builder. Look up builders that fit kitchens and you will likely find that they do house renovation work as well. They will organise specialist tradesmen like electricians & plumbers on your behalf and oversee the project.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 10th Aug 18, 6:11 AM
    • 26,305 Posts
    • 70,857 Thanks
    • #3
    • 10th Aug 18, 6:11 AM
    • #3
    • 10th Aug 18, 6:11 AM
    Structural Engineer first, unless the builder organises one for you, but the engineer is essential as is Building Control Approval.

    Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • kjp
    • By kjp 12th Aug 18, 2:15 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 2,254 Thanks
    • #4
    • 12th Aug 18, 2:15 PM
    • #4
    • 12th Aug 18, 2:15 PM
    Brilliant, thank you both!
    House Fund: 2,800/20,000 - 14%
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

103Posts Today

1,569Users online

Martin's Twitter