Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • darrenrendell
    • By darrenrendell 9th Aug 18, 9:01 PM
    • 24Posts
    • 10Thanks
    darrenrendell
    Finding the owner/letting agent of a neighbours house
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:01 PM
    Finding the owner/letting agent of a neighbours house 9th Aug 18 at 9:01 PM
    Hello everyone,

Iím currently trying to find the owners or letting agent of a neighbours house, the reason is I donít think that it is been checked by the letting agent as the people living there have cars parked on what was once a lovely garden they have ripped fences down and not replaced and taken down a shed.

I have done a search with the land registry but it shows the address of the property and not where the owners of the house lives?

Has anyone any ideas what I can do?
Page 1
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 9th Aug 18, 9:14 PM
    • 4,021 Posts
    • 6,939 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:14 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:14 PM
    It's up to the landlord/agent if they want to inspect the property or not.

I guess you could try asking the tenants for their landlord/agents details.
    If there is no driveway access then maybe the council will want to know if they are driving over a pavement to park the cars.

Or maybe try emaillling or calling every local letting agent until you find the right one although that seems like an awful lot of effort to go to for something that doesn't affect you. I'm guessing you don't like your neighbours and are looking for a way to "punish" them for something.
    • ashe
    • By ashe 9th Aug 18, 9:22 PM
    • 551 Posts
    • 410 Thanks
    ashe
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:22 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:22 PM
    It's up to the landlord/agent if they want to inspect the property or not.

I guess you could try asking the tenants for their landlord/agents details.
    If there is no driveway access then maybe the council will want to know if they are driving over a pavement to park the cars.

Or maybe try emaillling or calling every local letting agent until you find the right one although that seems like an awful lot of effort to go to for something that doesn't affect you. I'm guessing you don't like your neighbours and are looking for a way to "punish" them for something.
    Originally posted by Fosterdog
    It does not have to be punishment to want to complain to a landlord or letting agent when you have problem neighbours.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 9th Aug 18, 9:23 PM
    • 8,787 Posts
    • 9,293 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:23 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:23 PM
    Instruct a tracing agent to find the current contact details for the owner.
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 9th Aug 18, 9:37 PM
    • 4,021 Posts
    • 6,939 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:37 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:37 PM
    It does not have to be punishment to want to complain to a landlord or letting agent when you have problem neighbours.
    Originally posted by ashe
    OP hasn't said anything to suggest that they are problem neighbours though, if they had said they were trying to trace the landlord due to noise, antisocial behaviour, drugs etc. then I understand wanting to contact them but the only things OP has said they want to complain about are things that they have done to the property. That suggests that OP doesn't like them for some reason, has no legal route to complain about them (police/environmental health/local council) so wants to tell on them to their landlord in the hopes that the landlord will then want them out.
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 9th Aug 18, 10:40 PM
    • 405 Posts
    • 479 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:40 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:40 PM
    Google the house number, road name and add for rent, it should bring up the old listing if it was advertised online. You will then have the contact details (hopefully) for the LL or Agent.
    • darrenrendell
    • By darrenrendell 9th Aug 18, 11:43 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    darrenrendell
    • 9th Aug 18, 11:43 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 11:43 PM
    OP hasn't said anything to suggest that they are problem neighbours though, if they had said they were trying to trace the landlord due to noise, antisocial behaviour, drugs etc. then I understand wanting to contact them but the only things OP has said they want to complain about are things that they have done to the property. That suggests that OP doesn't like them for some reason, has no legal route to complain about them (police/environmental health/local council) so wants to tell on them to their landlord in the hopes that the landlord will then want them out.
    Originally posted by Fosterdog
    Itís more the fence they have ripped down that is at the bottom of my garden and can now see straight into theirs seeing all the rubbish and tyres piled up also working on the cars until late at night.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 10th Aug 18, 4:09 AM
    • 45,544 Posts
    • 54,723 Thanks
    G_M
    • 10th Aug 18, 4:09 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 4:09 AM
    Write to the property owner (as shown on the LR Title) at the property address.

About a 65% chance he has Royal Mail forwarding set up.

But bear in mind he may not and the tenants may receive, and read, the letter.
    • Rosemary7391
    • By Rosemary7391 10th Aug 18, 8:14 AM
    • 2,379 Posts
    • 4,012 Thanks
    Rosemary7391
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:14 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:14 AM
    You're not in Scotland? Landlords have to be registered there and you can search the register.
    Slinkies 2018 Challenge - 0/80lb lost
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 10th Aug 18, 8:17 AM
    • 10,045 Posts
    • 124,862 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Put up a new fence just inside your boundary.
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky is back on!
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 10th Aug 18, 8:20 AM
    • 33,268 Posts
    • 20,090 Thanks
    getmore4less
    How long have they been there?

Google may still find the adverts from when it was let.

the land reg should give you the name of the owner then go looking for them.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 10th Aug 18, 8:22 AM
    • 957 Posts
    • 1,167 Thanks
    need an answer
    Even if you do find out the owners details and manage to contact them that doesn't give you any guarantee that they will want to sort out the problem in the neighbouring garden.

When a tenant rents a property there is little a LL/agent or owner can do to force the tenant to rectify the situation if it is just a case of "untidy" or "unsightly"

Have you spoken to the tenant at all?

Is it something that could be dropped into a conversation around how nice the garden used to look?
    Although the fact that you are now asking how to find an owner may indicate that you are not on cordial terms with the neighbouring tenant any more)

Don't assume that the property is even rented via an agent many are not so again there is actually no obligation for any "checking" of the property once a tenancy agreement is signed.
    Its perhaps classed as good practice to have a property inspection periodically but its by no means a requirement that needs to be met by anyone.

Don't assume that just because you may eventually trace the owner the situation is going to get resolved.

That may not happen until a change of tenant I'm afraid.
    Last edited by need an answer; 10-08-2018 at 8:42 AM.
    in S 38 T 62 F 59
    out S 56 T 66 F 67
    2017 -32
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,567Posts Today

7,334Users online

Martin's Twitter