Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gary_
    • By Gary_ 9th Aug 18, 8:34 PM
    • 19Posts
    • 14Thanks
    Gary_
    Sudden QDR solicitor bill of 4500
    • 9th Aug 18, 8:34 PM
    Sudden QDR solicitor bill of 4500 9th Aug 18 at 8:34 PM
    I am really hoping someone can help. I have read all the threads and have sought advice all over the place but doors are closing in my face...

I recently found out that it is not enough to change your address on your licence with the DVLA and it is also necessary to change it on your V5 log book. My terrible mistake.....as unfortunately last week I received a letter firstly from zzps saying that I owe 90 for a PCN from Indigo parking (at a hospital where I work) that had now incurred fees on top of the original 20. I phoned to query it and was then told that, actually, there are 33 outstanding PCN's all spanning over a period of 3 years. Most are with QDR solicitors. They add up to 4500 in total. They confirmed that the previous letters had all gone to an address I lived at 5 years ago. They only found me now because I recently changed my address on my V5 log book. I'm aware that I could be charged 1000 for this so to be honest, am concerned about making too many waves. However at the same time, I don't want to pay all the fees and can't afford 4500!
    Citizens Advice Bureau advised me to appeal to Indigo and then to POPLAR. I tried to appeal this with Indigo (via letter because it was too late to appeal online). I received a swift response within a week, saying basically there was nothing they could do because the cases had now been passed over to debt collectors. I phoned POPLAR to ask for advice and they too told me that because the time had passed it was also too late for them to do anything about it. They suggested a solicitor. I did contact one, but was told the fees for this start at 1500 which is too much for me.
    If I take some of the advice on the forum and ignore the QDR and zzps letters, then I may be taken to court (that amount of money might be worth their while chasing in court) and there it will be revealed that in fact it is my own fault because I didn't change my address on V5 logbook early enough.
    With regards to the fines themselves, I have no evidence via photo or anything that I parked in the car park without a permit 33 times! I can recall a few occasions but certainly not 33. Also, some of these PCN's they listed (they sent me an emailed list) have not got times on them, just dates.

Is there anything I can realistically do to avoid paying this or get them to reduce the amount? Or will I just have to accept it an cough up (with a payment plan obviously). If I go to court with this I am worried that the judge will tell me it's my fault and fine me 1000 for not changing my address.

Any help would be most gratefully received.

Thank you
    Last edited by Gary_; 09-08-2018 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Disclosed too much information
Page 2
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 9th Aug 18, 11:17 PM
    • 8,789 Posts
    • 11,670 Thanks
    beamerguy
    The court fee will be based on the face value of their claim - 4,500 = 185 court fee using MCOL.

https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/court-fees
    Originally posted by Umkomaas
    Thanks Umk .... was not sure.
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 10th Aug 18, 7:36 AM
    • 37,489 Posts
    • 21,702 Thanks
    Quentin
    They can add interest at base rate.......

The courts will not allow extortion
    Originally posted by beamerguy
    Not base rate!

Interest rate for claims is 8%. Some would see it as usury! Others would consider it extortion!
    • Gary_
    • By Gary_ 10th Aug 18, 8:19 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Gary_
    [QUOTE=beamerguy;74640565]

Clarify please .... 30 DVLA COSTS for all tickets or 30
    per ticket
    Originally posted by Gary_

I had the impression it was 30 for each application. I asked the person on the phone what the 128 was for, when the original ticket was only 20. She briefly listed off a few fees, starting with "There is 30 to check your DVLA details..." After that I didn't really hear the rest because I was a bit hung up on the 30 DVLA. I asked her, if they believed they had my details already, why did they need to request this same information repeatedly from the DVLA? She didn't answer but I will ask them again today via email and will ask them to respond in writing. Thanks for this info- I will get right on it and let you know what they say....
    Last edited by Gary_; 10-08-2018 at 9:35 AM.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 10th Aug 18, 8:30 AM
    • 8,789 Posts
    • 11,670 Thanks
    beamerguy
    [QUOTE=Gary_;74641157]

I asked the person on the phone what the 128 was for, when the original ticket was only 20. She briefly listed off a few fees, starting with "There is 30 to check your DVLA details..." After that I didn't really hear the rest because I was a bit hung up on the 30 DVLA. I asked her, if they believed they had my details already, why did they need to request this same information repeatedly from the DVLA? She didn't answer but I will ask them again today via email and will ask them to respond in writing. Thanks for this info- I will get right on it and let you know what they say....
    Yes, you must get all this in writing, can be by email

Doubt the DVLA would be impressed by QDR trying to make
    a profit on the 2.50
    You need them to tell you the dates and times they accessed
    your data from the DVLA which of course can be confirmed
    by the DVLA

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • waamo
    • By waamo 10th Aug 18, 8:34 AM
    • 4,422 Posts
    • 5,810 Thanks
    waamo
    In order to invoke POFA they have to check your details with the DVLA. They cannot use previous records (if relying on POFA).

If they have used old records then then cannot transfer liability from the driver to the keeper.

Each DVLA check costs 2.50
    This space for hire.
    • nigelbb
    • By nigelbb 10th Aug 18, 9:16 AM
    • 2,029 Posts
    • 2,826 Thanks
    nigelbb
    In order to invoke POFA they have to check your details with the DVLA. They cannot use previous records (if relying on POFA).

If they have used old records then then cannot transfer liability from the driver to the keeper.

Each DVLA check costs 2.50
    Originally posted by waamo
    Aside from POFA i is only by purchasing keeper details from the DVLA for each & every parking event that the PPC has proof of who the registered keeper is. The car can be sold at any time & have a new RK.
    • Computersaysno
    • By Computersaysno 10th Aug 18, 10:12 AM
    • 1,020 Posts
    • 794 Thanks
    Computersaysno
    iirc if they haven't asked for each ticket then they are breachiung DPA and KADOE agreement.

Most of the big players DO request each ticket [presumably because its automated at their end as well]
    Welcome to the world of 'Protect the brand at the cost of free speech'
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 10th Aug 18, 10:17 AM
    • 37,489 Posts
    • 21,702 Thanks
    Quentin
    This PPC had a famous " victory" in court against the staff at that hospital and look to abide by the rules as far as tracking down the rk via DVLA goes
    • Gary_
    • By Gary_ 10th Aug 18, 1:45 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Gary_
    [QUOTE=beamerguy;74641215]

Yes, you must get all this in writing, can be by email

Doubt the DVLA would be impressed by QDR trying to make
    a profit on the 2.50
    You need them to tell you the dates and times they accessed
    your data from the DVLA which of course can be confirmed
    by the DVLA

I have written them an email now asking (again but more formally this time) for a break down of the fees added on after the initial 20. I have also asked for photographic evidence for each of the PCN's they have on their record. I asked the same of zzps who apparently hold three PCN's they have not yet passed on to QDR. I also emailed DVLA also to let me know who has accessed my record and when. I used the standard template suggested. Now just waiting to hear...
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 10th Aug 18, 1:56 PM
    • 8,789 Posts
    • 11,670 Thanks
    beamerguy
    [QUOTE=Gary_;74642761]

I have written them an email now asking (again but more formally this time) for a break down of the fees added on after the initial 20. I have also asked for photographic evidence for each of the PCN's they have on their record. I asked the same of zzps who apparently hold three PCN's they have not yet passed on to QDR. I also emailed DVLA also to let me know who has accessed my record and when. I used the standard template suggested. Now just waiting to hear...
    Good man, let us see the replies.

Now is the time to forget all about ZZPS, no point in
    talking to timewasters. If they said "they have not passed
    3 to QDR", they talking rubbish again.
    It is Indigo that employs QDR not ZZPS who are powerless

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 10th Aug 18, 1:59 PM
    • 10,238 Posts
    • 10,131 Thanks
    The Deep
    OP, it you feel that QDR are trying to intimidate you, lie to you, mis-inform you, or fail to adhere to their code of conduct, complain to the SRA

http://www.sra.org.uk/home/home.page.

Many of the low rent solicitors who act for these scammers are likely to act in an unsilicitory way likely to bring their profession into disrepute. A couple of these firms have already been reported th them by members of Parliament,
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 10th Aug 18, 2:23 PM
    • 8,789 Posts
    • 11,670 Thanks
    beamerguy

many of the low rent solicitors who act for these scammers are likely to act in an unsilicitory way likely to bring their profession into disrepute.
    Originally posted by the deep
    Qdr ... Aka Wright Hassall

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 10th Aug 18, 2:28 PM
    • 3,626 Posts
    • 4,483 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    Indeed, QDR ARE WH

What is the amount on the NtK? The KEEPER is only liable for THAT amount. Nothing more. This is absoluitely clear in POFA.
    • Gary_
    • By Gary_ 10th Aug 18, 4:21 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Gary_
    [QUOTE=beamerguy;74642822]

Good man, let us see the replies.

Now is the time to forget all about ZZPS, no point in
    talking to timewasters. If they said "they have not passed
    3 to QDR", they talking rubbish again.
    It is Indigo that employs QDR not ZZPS who are powerless

Thanks that's good to know!
    • Gary_
    • By Gary_ 10th Aug 18, 4:42 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Gary_
    Indeed, QDR ARE WH

What is the amount on the NtK? The KEEPER is only liable for THAT amount. Nothing more. This is absoluitely clear in POFA.
    Originally posted by nosferatu1001

The NTK would be 20 x 33 which would be 660. But now QDS and ZZPS have apparently both added on their fees. I have asked them for a breakdown of these fees. I have tried to explain that I only found out about this last week as they confirmed their letters went to my previous address. I don't even have the original evidence but have asked for this now. Thanks for this information- I was assuming I might have to pay them a 'reasonable' cost for their admin but 128 each is not reasonable.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 10th Aug 18, 4:56 PM
    • 8,789 Posts
    • 11,670 Thanks
    beamerguy
    The NTK would be 20 x 33 which would be 660. But now QDS and ZZPS have apparently both added on their fees. I have asked them for a breakdown of these fees. I have tried to explain that I only found out about this last week as they confirmed their letters went to my previous address. I don't even have the original evidence but have asked for this now. Thanks for this information- I was assuming I might have to pay them a 'reasonable' cost for their admin but 128 each is not reasonable.
    Why pay a fake admin charge, it is QDR who are trying
    to rip you off. ZZPS cannot add on anything
    As said above the face value of the ticket is 20 and they
    can only claim for that plus a court fee, maybe a bit of interest and
    a reasonable legal fee and the court would not let you be
    ripped off with unreasonable fees

It's the 30 DVLA fee that is of most interest

By now, no doubt QDR/WRIGHT HASSALL are reading this thread.
    Nobody cares if ZZPS is

So far, all this points to a fraudulent claim against you, just like
    the Cardiff case
    Last edited by beamerguy; 10-08-2018 at 5:02 PM.

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Gary_
    • By Gary_ 10th Aug 18, 6:14 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Gary_
    Why pay a fake admin charge, it is QDR who are trying
    to rip you off. ZZPS cannot add on anything
    As said above the face value of the ticket is 20 and they
    can only claim for that plus a court fee, maybe a bit of interest and
    a reasonable legal fee and the court would not let you be
    ripped off with unreasonable fees

It's the 30 DVLA fee that is of most interest

By now, no doubt QDR/WRIGHT HASSALL are reading this thread.
    Nobody cares if ZZPS is

So far, all this points to a fraudulent claim against you, just like
    the Cardiff case

Thanks. I just don't know how and why they are still getting away with this. Hopefully not for too much longer. Where is their sense of ethics? I have been reading up a lot on this and am disgusted. I guess if they are unreasonable I will report them to SRA, CSA and my local MP if necessary. If they continue, they will have to take me to court for the money. I'm happy to pay a parking charge if indeed I do owe it, but I don't like to be ripped off, intimidated or scammed into paying what I do not owe. It is criminal.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 10th Aug 18, 7:41 PM
    • 8,789 Posts
    • 11,670 Thanks
    beamerguy
    Thanks. I just don't know how and why they are still getting away with this. Hopefully not for too much longer. Where is their sense of ethics? I have been reading up a lot on this and am disgusted. I guess if they are unreasonable I will report them to SRA, CSA and my local MP if necessary. If they continue, they will have to take me to court for the money. I'm happy to pay a parking charge if indeed I do owe it, but I don't like to be ripped off, intimidated or scammed into paying what I do not owe. It is criminal.
    Have a read of this
    https://parking-prankster.blogspot.com/search?q=indigo

Wright Hassall were the masterminds and everyone was
    disgusted that such a gestapo type attack should happen
    to hospital staff.

The judge in the main case clearly had no idea

Wright Hassall got a lot of dirt on their faces which will
    probably remain forever because the whole country
    read about them.

Now they use their offshoot QDR but it is still
    Wright Hassall and the same tactics are being used

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Gary_
    • By Gary_ 10th Aug 18, 9:50 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Gary_
    Have a read of this

Wright Hassall were the masterminds and everyone was
    disgusted that such a gestapo type attack should happen
    to hospital staff.

The judge in the main case clearly had no idea

Wright Hassall got a lot of dirt on their faces which will
    probably remain forever because the whole country
    read about them.

Now they use their offshoot QDR but it is still
    Wright Hassall and the same tactics are being used

It is disgusting! It also flies in the face of POFA 2012 that the staff had to pay the 128 per ticket when it was initially 20!

c) POFA 2012 rules that the charge on the NTK must be the same as that on the NTD [8(2)(c), (2)(c). 2, 3(b)(i)]
    d) POFA rules that the keeper is only liable for the charges set out on the signage and NtD [4(5), 8(2)c,2)(c). 2, 3(b)(i)]

I hope they appeal and get this overturned. What was also interesting about that was the breakdown of fees that made up the 128 - none of which were DVLA information charges! It seems that some politicians are getting on board now and things might change in the future.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 10th Aug 18, 11:24 PM
    • 8,789 Posts
    • 11,670 Thanks
    beamerguy
    What was also interesting about that was the breakdown of fees that made up the 128 - none of which were DVLA information charges!
    I know ? "catch a monkey" ????

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

155Posts Today

1,400Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Lovely package on #newsnight just now about Brexit hitchhiking, livened up what has been not the most exciting show.

• Is this is a serious tweet or a joke? Why did I mention he was a cyclist - because he was a cyclist. Eh? https://t.co/F1SP7UJZkH

• How awful Mark. This is why those people who take risks on the road, have to realise while they think they're gamb? https://t.co/berU23vQOU

• Follow Martin