Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hdh74
    • By hdh74 9th Aug 18, 8:31 PM
    • 2,132Posts
    • 60,682Thanks
    hdh74
    Finding somewhere to live for disabled daughter
    • 9th Aug 18, 8:31 PM
    Finding somewhere to live for disabled daughter 9th Aug 18 at 8:31 PM
    Our Dd is nearly 30, and is a wheelchair user. We have been trying to find her somewhere to live for over 18months. The council just down't seem to have any properties she can have. All the (few) fully disabled properties seem to go to category A people and she is B. She keeps bidding on properties with ramps to be told the internal access is not adequate (even though she hasn't been allowed to go look and has a smaller than usual wheelchair with a very tight turning circle). They keep saying they won't give her a property which doesn't fully fit her needs but she doesn't seem to be eligible for any of the ones that would. She is living with us and can only get out to hospital appointments if she uses a stairlift which trigger seizures and she had a doctors letter saying this is unsafe but still they won't give her something which they deem is even slightly unsuitable.

We've started looking at private rentals but they nearly all say no benefits and no pets (she has a cat which she loves and would be very lonely without).

We've tried CAB, local councillors, social services and got very little joy. (our council has very poor ratings on everything_

Today she saw an independent living place but they seemed to think she wasn't capable of living in their property even though she would have More help than in other properties and it would be a million times more suitable than here (we went to look).

So basically she's not disabled enough for the disabled properties but she's too disabled for all the others.

Running out of ideas.
Page 1
    • Ehwhat
    • By Ehwhat 9th Aug 18, 9:18 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Ehwhat
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:18 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:18 PM
    Has you DD had a recent Occupational Therapist assessment? If not I would recommend that you get one done and then submit it to your local council housing department, along with updated medical support letters, and your local council!!!8217;s health and housing form, esp. if her medical conditions/presentation have changed, since the original application was made, even if the change is minor, seizures getting more frequent etc. The OT report should deal your daughters conditions the issues she faces and what she needs in a property.
    Does she have daily care needs? Could the case be made to Social Services to make her an exceptional case for something like Extra Care aka Very Sheltered housing? This type of accommodation tends to be a fully accessible flat with onsite care team.
    You could talk to Shelter or a disability charity to advocate on your daughters behalf.
    Good luck and don!!!8217;t give up.
    Last edited by Ehwhat; 09-08-2018 at 9:22 PM. Reason: Pressed the post button too soon
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 9th Aug 18, 10:03 PM
    • 26,088 Posts
    • 15,451 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:03 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:03 PM
    Have you spoken to your local councillor?
    • hdh74
    • By hdh74 10th Aug 18, 7:12 AM
    • 2,132 Posts
    • 60,682 Thanks
    hdh74
    • 10th Aug 18, 7:12 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 7:12 AM
    Yes she had the assesments. It's a bit complicated because right at the beginning social services got involved, filled her form for her in -wrong, said they had referred her to someone who helped with 'special housing needs' and hadn't. We've been through official complaints about all this and basically they said sorry and admitted it put her back months on the housing list but say they can't do anything about it because the council don't own housing any more they sold it to a private firm, and housing and the social won't co-operate with each other.

We've been searching for a local housing charity who might do advocacy for her but haven't been able to find anything so far.

We spoke to several councilors who made vague helpful noises and came back with suggestions, but they were all things we were trying, such as trying housing associations (they are either already tied up in the housing mechanism and we don't seem to get to bid on those or you have to be referred by social or housing and so far we've drawn a blank in getting any actual help).

The social came, and someone from a housing panel came (but they actually wouldn't agree to come at the same time to the same meeting which might have achieved something) but social keep trying to do 'sticking plaster stuff' like 'maybe if we gave you a carer once a week to take you out on a social call that would help' - they were pushing for that even though they have a medical letter saying the stairlift she would have to use is unsuitable and we're pretty sure the care company wouldn't agree due to safety issues, to say they've been beyond useless is an understatement.

We could take social to the ombudsman but tbh it probably wouldn't rectify getting her a house as that's not actually in their hands and my DD doesn't want to waste the energy - and she's an adult it's her choice.

We have finally managed to access someone on housing who has said they will try to help, but they basically said there is a massive shortage of suitable housing so it could be years. We said we would pay for adaptations but they said that would not be allowed.

So I'm trawling every letting agency I can, but we always find that they have few suitable properties and the ones that do say, no pets or housing benefit. I don't understand this last thing as my DD has been awarded full disabilty payments for 9 years so surely they could count on her paying? I have started emailing for details and clearly stating this in the hope they might consider.

The problem with the OTs report is that it says she needs level access and that she needs internal wheelchair access, but apparently she doesn't need a full disabled property as she can stand briefly and take one or two steps. So it seems she's not allowed access to the 'full disabled properties' but none of the other properties are deemed suitable for her needs by housing themselves as they don't meet the OTs reauirements - it's flaming obvious to us that only a full disabled property would so I totally can't get my head around this one.

We're currently gearing up for writing to our MP. Just looking for any ideas I night have missed. I will try the national charities like shelter, thank you.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 10th Aug 18, 9:07 AM
    • 26,088 Posts
    • 15,451 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:07 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:07 AM
    Do write to your MP and explain the "catch 22" situation.

Have you tried your local press?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

186Posts Today

2,697Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin