Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Piiiinksocks
    • By Piiiinksocks 9th Aug 18, 7:20 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Piiiinksocks
    Cleaning fee on rental
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:20 PM
    Cleaning fee on rental 9th Aug 18 at 7:20 PM
    Where would I stand in my responsibilities?

We moved 200 miles back in April. It was quite a quick move, we left our owned property and rented a house. The sale on our property is going through, and we're looking to purchase a new one, so only a few months away from handing our notice in on the rental.

When we were looking, houses were going incredibly quickly, and we didn't have a huge amount of time up here due to the distance. We have 1 cat and 1 dog which made it more difficult. We found a gorgeous house, and the letting agent suggested we paid a carpet cleaning fee of 250 upfront - not a deposit, it was separate to this, and not held as one.

The problem comes in that our rental contract states we still have to pay for the carpets to be cleaned upon leaving. Is it likely that, if we do this, we can ask for the money already paid to be returned? Or can we get away with not doing it because, well, we already paid for it? Its a bit of a funny clause, really. We were desperate at the time, and not in a position to negotiate.

I should add - I have no intention of not leaving the house perfect - I just don't want to have to pay for something twice.
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 9th Aug 18, 7:24 PM
    • 4,973 Posts
    • 4,997 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:24 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:24 PM
    It presumably they didn!!!8217;t already clean the carpets? So you paid up front for the end of tenancy clean.

I mean I!!!8217;d ask for it back and clean the carpets myself; then sue.

But I can!!!8217;t see you paying twice
    • DD265
    • By DD265 9th Aug 18, 8:39 PM
    • 1,506 Posts
    • 3,357 Thanks
    DD265
    • 9th Aug 18, 8:39 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 8:39 PM
    You need to clarify, but I would've thought that the 250 was just the upfront payment for the end of rental clean.
    • Piiiinksocks
    • By Piiiinksocks 9th Aug 18, 8:48 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Piiiinksocks
    • 9th Aug 18, 8:48 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 8:48 PM
    MOVING OUT AT THE END OF THE TENANCY
    Except for fair wear and tear, the Tenant must return the Property and any items listed on the inventory to the Landlord in the same condition and state of cleanliness as they were at the start of the Tenancy.
    The Tenant must remove all possessions (including any furniture) belonging to the Tenant or any Member of the Tenant!!!8217;s Household or visitor and all rubbish from the Property at the end of the Tenancy. If any such possessions are left at the Property after the Tenancy has ended, the Tenant will be responsible for meeting all reasonable removal and disposal charges of the items. This will be deducted from the deposit.
    The Tenant must give vacant possession and return all keys to the Landlord at the end of the Tenancy.
    The Tenant must provide the Landlord with a forwarding address at the end of the Tenancy.
    Return all the keys, to the Landlord by 12 noon on the last day of the tenancy (or sooner by mutual arrangement)
    The tenants will have the oven and hob cleaned at the end of the Tenancy
    The tenants will have all carpets cleaned at the end of the Tenancy
    The tenants will the property cleaned at the end of the Tenancy.

8.9 In addition to above clauses a fee of 250 is to be paid for
    The landlord to carry out any necessary additional cleaning
    Relating to the animals agreed to be kept at the property

This is the direct quote from the tenancy agreement. It wasn't specifically a carpet clean then... My question really, is how much do we have to pay? Can I just get a professional cleaner to come in and do the whole house (as planned) and claim back against that 250, or do I need to do it in addition? The letting agent was very clear that it was NOT a deposit!!
    • anselld
    • By anselld 10th Aug 18, 6:36 AM
    • 5,920 Posts
    • 5,655 Thanks
    anselld
    • 10th Aug 18, 6:36 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 6:36 AM
    The 250 seems to be additional and separate to the normal cleaning, ie "relating to the keeping of agreed animals". What makes you think you should be able to claim it back?
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 10th Aug 18, 6:43 AM
    • 991 Posts
    • 1,144 Thanks
    HampshireH
    • 10th Aug 18, 6:43 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 6:43 AM
    Does seem odd that you had to pay it up front.

Normally these fees are just that. A fee to have pets and not labelled as a cleaning fee which would mean duplicating cleaning.

Your LL or agency are the best people to ask
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,651Posts Today

9,120Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Very kind. But it'd be an economic nightmare. People would get the note out, see me, and think, nah I probably shou? https://t.co/BYtFaddGcW

• Today?s twitter poll: Does President Trump put you off visiting the USA?? On Friday I did a poll about cities you'? https://t.co/5gbpoA9bF9

• RT @helen_undy: We're expanding our trustee board at this exciting point in @mmhpi's development, looking for 3 talented people to join @Ma?

• Follow Martin