Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kg182
    • By kg182 9th Aug 18, 7:08 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    kg182
    Advice regarding rental deposit
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:08 PM
    Advice regarding rental deposit 9th Aug 18 at 7:08 PM
    background - currently renting with someone who I donít want to live with anymore. Joint tenancy but I have a feeling that if I asked to leave they would go with it.

I put the deposit down, and obviously donít have extra money for a new deposit on another rental.

I donít know how it works and I canít find anything else online, but if I were to move, would my current deposit be transferred?

Sorry if itís a dumb question, I havenít rented before and havenít moved between rentals.
Page 1
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 9th Aug 18, 7:19 PM
    • 792 Posts
    • 1,222 Thanks
    Slithery
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:19 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:19 PM
    Nope, it doesn't get transferred.

You need to save up enough for a new deposit as you won't get the current one back until sometime after the tenancy has ended and you are already in your new property.

You also can't guarantee getting your full deposit back as the LL may need some/all of it to return your current property to the state it was when your tenancy started (minus fair wear and tear).

Also as it is a joint tenancy you may not be able to leave without the other person leaving as well.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 9th Aug 18, 7:25 PM
    • 3,587 Posts
    • 3,428 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:25 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:25 PM
    Nope, it doesn't get transferred.

You need to save up enough for a new deposit as you won't get the current one back until sometime after the tenancy has ended and you are already in your new property.

You also can't guarantee getting your full deposit back as the LL may need some/all of it to return your current property to the state it was when your tenancy started (minus fair wear and tear).

Also as it is a joint tenancy you may not be able to leave without the other person leaving as well.
    Originally posted by Slithery
    Nicely put!
    • kg182
    • By kg182 9th Aug 18, 7:46 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kg182
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:46 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:46 PM
    Thank you so much for answering, Iím still learning about moving with rentals etc
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 9th Aug 18, 7:51 PM
    • 792 Posts
    • 1,222 Thanks
    Slithery
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:51 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:51 PM
    Have you read...
    Tenancies in Eng/Wales: Guides for landlords and tenants
    • G_M
    • By G_M 10th Aug 18, 4:41 AM
    • 44,924 Posts
    • 53,532 Thanks
    G_M
    • 10th Aug 18, 4:41 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 4:41 AM
    Excellent link.

Ought o be a sticky........
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,517Posts Today

8,725Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin