Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dhedley
    • By dhedley 9th Aug 18, 6:17 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    dhedley
    Lloyds Packaged Bank Account Reclaim - Partial Success
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:17 PM
    Lloyds Packaged Bank Account Reclaim - Partial Success 9th Aug 18 at 6:17 PM
    Hello All,

Apologies if this is covered on another thread but I just wanted to share my experiences and gain a little advice.

I had a packaged account with Lloyds but transitioned to TSB about 5 years ago when the split took place.

I saw some posts on here about packaged account and thought that sounds familiar.

Not being one to normally try this sort of thing I was a little unsure but I took the plunge and used Resolver.

Some of my details were sketchy as I destroyed old statements about a year ago but I completed as best I could and sent the email.

About 6 weeks later I received 830, I was very impressed.

However, on receiving the letter from Lloyds, they have upheld the claim for my Lloyds Gold Account which was an earlier account, I approximately said the event was circa 2000 but could not be sure. How I wish I had kept statements.

However, they have rejected the one for the Platinum Account, the later account and the one I claimed about saying it its outside the time limits as:-

!!!8220; On 1 July 2010 you attempted to claim inactive on the Travel Insurance offered by the Platinum AVA. At this point you would have become aware the benefits were portrayed in a much more beneficial light than they really were. On this date you ought to reasonably to have become aware you had reason to complain that the benefits were portrayed in a much more beneficial light than they really were!!!8221;

They go on to say that they do not need to consider any of the additional points I made in my initial complaint.

Has anyone had a similar experience and if so do I have cause for redress or am I merely pushing my luck.?

To be honest in 2010 I had no idea you could complain and be compensated for this. I addition TSB merely rolled over the Account and did not review or offer. TSB claim they do not sell packaged account but they did not se fit to speak to me about mine, quite happy to take the fee.

I have since cancelled the account.

Any thoughts or feedback would be most appreiciated.
    Last edited by dhedley; 09-08-2018 at 6:57 PM.
Page 1
    • Nearlyold
    • By Nearlyold 9th Aug 18, 6:29 PM
    • 1,178 Posts
    • 1,013 Thanks
    Nearlyold
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:29 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:29 PM
    Did you put in your complaint the event which happened 1 July 2010 as one of the reasons why your believed the Platinum Account was miss sold to you?
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 9th Aug 18, 6:30 PM
    • 8,707 Posts
    • 9,940 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:30 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:30 PM
    Banks are entitled (but not obliged) to reject such complaints on timebarring grounds either six years after alleged mis-selling or three years after the customer became aware, or should reasonably have been aware, of it (if later).

If they do so, then this effectively means they don't have to consider anything else relating to the claim, i.e. the time delay trumps everything else, and, more to the point, if a bank rejects a complaint on the (valid) basis of timebarring then the FOS won't overturn that decision.

Having said that, I'm not sure I follow their logic about a travel insurance claim being expected to trigger realisation that "benefits were portrayed in a much more beneficial light than they really were", but if they accepted mis-selling of the first account then it may well have been that you were provided with all relevant info when it was changed to a later version?
    • dhedley
    • By dhedley 14th Aug 18, 6:30 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dhedley
    • 14th Aug 18, 6:30 AM
    • 14th Aug 18, 6:30 AM
    Hi Nearlyold

No I did not as to be honest I could not remember the event. I have spoken to the complaints manager and he says the fact I did not complain about the account at the time of the event is what is triggering the time bar.
    • dhedley
    • By dhedley 14th Aug 18, 6:36 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dhedley
    • 14th Aug 18, 6:36 AM
    • 14th Aug 18, 6:36 AM
    Hi Eskbanker,

thanks for the reply. They did not do anything different in relation to the second account so I think it is fine from that point of view.

They are stating that the second event was when I tried to claim on the travel insurance but did not actually claim. Their belief is at this point I should have realised that the account was not as good as I was led to believe and therefore I should have complained about the account in the branch. Which I find a bit disingenuous.

To be fair I have no real recollection of the event and the bank have no details in relation to the attempted claim.

Therefore I am not sure if I should just call it a day or push this further?

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

285Posts Today

1,330Users online

Martin's Twitter