Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • ~shoozy~
    • By ~shoozy~ 9th Aug 18, 6:00 PM
    • 69Posts
    • 17Thanks
    Deposit query
    • #1
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:00 PM
    Deposit query 9th Aug 18 at 6:00 PM
    Hello, I recently reserved a new build with the idea of using help to buy with a 5% deposit. I've just been told my application for help to buy has been refused because my DIP showed a higher amount than the house is priced at, and apparently that means I can afford the mortgage without help to buy.

    I spoke to my broker, who advised I switch to a different lender and go for a standard mortgage but for this I need 10% deposit.

    When do I physically need to have the 10%?

    I was under the impression that I'd need to be able to show the lender that I have the money when I apply for the mortgage, but I'm short on the full amount until the end of this month, when I get paid again.

    My parents have offered to give me money towards the deposit, but I'm reluctant to do that as it's more complicated to show the money as it's my mother's "wee stash" as she puts it - ie not in a bank account.

    Any help or advice is much appreciated.
Page 1
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 9th Aug 18, 6:08 PM
    • 34,228 Posts
    • 18,578 Thanks
    • #2
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:08 PM
    • #2
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:08 PM
    Is this outside E&W, or is it shared ownership, because this;-

    "my application for help to buy has been refused because my DIP showed a higher amount than the house is priced at"

    isn't possible on HTB - Equity Loan. The HTB agent doesn't see your DIP. Only your formal mortgage offer and the valuation report are sent to the HTB Agent by your solicitor ahead of issue of the ATE for exchange of contracts.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • ~shoozy~
    • By ~shoozy~ 9th Aug 18, 6:10 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    • #3
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:10 PM
    • #3
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:10 PM
    Hi, yes it's in Scotland, part of the documentation to be uploaded is the DIP.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

159Posts Today

1,576Users online

Martin's Twitter