Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • westernpromise
    • By westernpromise 9th Aug 18, 5:45 PM
    • 4,263Posts
    • 5,530Thanks
    westernpromise
    Dodgy cruise control
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:45 PM
    Dodgy cruise control 9th Aug 18 at 5:45 PM
    The cruise control on the last two Hondas we've had doesn't work downhill. Anyone else find this?

I use the cruise around town to be sure of staying under the limit. If you're going uphill or on the flat at 30, you hit the button to engage it, and you will stay at 30. But! As soon as you are over that hill and going downhill, the cruise control does not apply the brakes to keep you at 30. You start to gather speed, and if you thought the cruise control would keep your speed legal, you're in for a nasty surprise if you aren't paying attention.

This cost me a speed awareness course 5 years ago, and Honda hasn't fixed it that I know of. Other makes I've driven have no such problem. Does anyone else find this? There's nothing in the driver's manual that explains why this happens or how to prevent it.
Page 2
    • Jonesya
    • By Jonesya 9th Aug 18, 9:06 PM
    • 1,460 Posts
    • 899 Thanks
    Jonesya
    EFA.

I can see why he hates Audis now - all these young upstarts driving their fancy fast cars.

Originally posted by motorguy
    Audi? Now if you were talking about a Tesla.... that is something to aspire to.
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 10th Aug 18, 2:00 AM
    • 3,641 Posts
    • 3,118 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    For the record, I have a very snotty / old BMW 330d auto - this drops a gear downhill on cruise for engine braking.
    Your automatic should have engine braking downhill.

Buying an Audi is a daft solution, you'll end up with working cruise control but 9,000 other issues! The biggest being you're now an Audi driver
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 10th Aug 18, 7:31 AM
    • 14,558 Posts
    • 19,591 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    My car is an auto and it seems to maintain the set speed on downhill stretches. It doesn't apply the brakes so it must rely on engine braking.

I suppose it may depend on which gears the converter locks up in and to what extent.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • westernpromise
    • By westernpromise 10th Aug 18, 9:52 AM
    • 4,263 Posts
    • 5,530 Thanks
    westernpromise
    Sounds like its just shitty then.

You need to get yourself a good Audi.

2013 Hondas were pretty up to date in 2013, or so the wife told me when she made me buy her one.

I'm not keen on shed shaped cars myself.

A "good" Audi? Sorry, I don't understand.
    • westernpromise
    • By westernpromise 10th Aug 18, 9:53 AM
    • 4,263 Posts
    • 5,530 Thanks
    westernpromise
    Yes, definitely careless. Weren't you aware of the car speeding up?
    Originally posted by Car 54
    By the time it got to 36, yes. Which was too late. No, I can't tell the difference between 30 and 33 by looking out of the windows and neither can anyone else.
    • missile
    • By missile 10th Aug 18, 9:57 AM
    • 9,605 Posts
    • 4,783 Thanks
    missile
    Audi? Now if you were talking about a Tesla.... that is something to aspire to.
    Originally posted by Jonesya
    I drove an electric car once ...................... it was a milk float
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • missile
    • By missile 10th Aug 18, 10:11 AM
    • 9,605 Posts
    • 4,783 Thanks
    missile
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz7Gl49Z5oI
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • facade
    • By facade 10th Aug 18, 10:48 AM
    • 3,308 Posts
    • 1,749 Thanks
    facade
    This is a 2013 model Honda, so I don't call that old. It's an automatic so there is no engine braking.
    Originally posted by westernpromise

It is broken then (Possible, even Honda build quality has been going down since around 2010)

A torque converter should lock up at about 45 and maintain the lock down to around 35.
    There is less engine braking when it isn't locked up, but it is still there.

(If it is some sort of dreadful CVT, I have no idea, I'd expect it to go for minimum ratio, and then it would have some engine braking)
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • Merlin139
    • By Merlin139 10th Aug 18, 11:03 AM
    • 4,974 Posts
    • 20,011 Thanks
    Merlin139
    My Honda uses my right hand as its cruise control! If yours is not working correctly and you got a speed awareness course take Honda to court for the cost.
    3.975 kWp PV SolarEdge System South Facing 10% Shading Installed 21 May 2014 Located in Mid East Yorkshire.
    • westernpromise
    • By westernpromise 10th Aug 18, 11:06 AM
    • 4,263 Posts
    • 5,530 Thanks
    westernpromise
    AFAIK the point of an auto is that it self-changes up or down with the revs. If the revs rise because you're rolling downhill the thing would if anything change up, reducing any engine braking effect. But from the sound of it, it isn't trying to do any anyway.
    • westernpromise
    • By westernpromise 10th Aug 18, 11:10 AM
    • 4,263 Posts
    • 5,530 Thanks
    westernpromise
    My Honda uses my right hand as its cruise control! If yours is not working correctly and you got a speed awareness course take Honda to court for the cost.
    Originally posted by Merlin139
    It was 5 years so I CBA. But I have noticed that only Hondas seem to have this issue. Everything else I drive maintains the cruise speed regardless of slope. The other irritating thing is that it only works at 30 or above, which is increasingly useless around London where there are 20mph limits everywhere. It is extremely convenient to set the cruise to 20 and take care of it, because 25 feels no different but is enough to get you fined.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 10th Aug 18, 11:14 AM
    • 2,051 Posts
    • 1,246 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    AFAIK the point of an auto is that it self-changes up or down with the revs. If the revs rise because you're rolling downhill the thing would if anything change up, reducing any engine braking effect. But from the sound of it, it isn't trying to do any anyway.
    Thats why the majority of autos enable you to change gear to stop this.
    Hi there! Weve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youre unsure why its been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 10th Aug 18, 12:43 PM
    • 17,115 Posts
    • 10,254 Thanks
    motorguy
    By the time it got to 36, yes. Which was too late. No, I can't tell the difference between 30 and 33 by looking out of the windows and neither can anyone else.
    You can, however tell by looking at the speedometer in front of you?
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • waamo
    • By waamo 10th Aug 18, 12:50 PM
    • 3,875 Posts
    • 5,043 Thanks
    waamo
    You can, however tell by looking at the speedometer in front of you?
    Many people find their eyesight tends to deteriorate as they enter their dotage though.
    This space for hire.
    • westernpromise
    • By westernpromise 10th Aug 18, 12:56 PM
    • 4,263 Posts
    • 5,530 Thanks
    westernpromise
    I never look at the speedometer.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 10th Aug 18, 12:58 PM
    • 17,115 Posts
    • 10,254 Thanks
    motorguy
    Too busy looking for Audi drivers to be outraged by presumably?
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • westernpromise
    • By westernpromise 10th Aug 18, 1:05 PM
    • 4,263 Posts
    • 5,530 Thanks
    westernpromise
    Pity =/= outrage.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 10th Aug 18, 1:09 PM
    • 17,115 Posts
    • 10,254 Thanks
    motorguy
    Pity =/= outrage.
    I think for all your profile raising about Audi drivers, its you we all feel sorry for, not them.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 10th Aug 18, 1:13 PM
    • 2,510 Posts
    • 1,967 Thanks
    Stoke
    Works fine on Audis.
    Wow, really? I thought Audi's were just cheap cars with an expensive badge? Funny how they make stuff that works.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 10th Aug 18, 1:49 PM
    • 3,875 Posts
    • 5,043 Thanks
    waamo
    Typical CR-V driver then. A bit like this one https://jalopnik.com/kansans-are-going-crazy-over-a-terrible-driver-nickname-1794497385
    This space for hire.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

110Posts Today

1,371Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin