Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • KEEPGOING
    • By KEEPGOING 9th Aug 18, 4:57 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    KEEPGOING
    Nram warning
    • 9th Aug 18, 4:57 PM
    Nram warning 9th Aug 18 at 4:57 PM
    A WARNING to NRAM clients seeking PPI . As the PPI deadline is less than a year away its obvious banks will start to manipulate enquiries to slow down progress for anyone seeking a PPI refund. I previously made a verbal and written request to enquire about any PPI on my Northern Rock/NRAM accounts, mortgage, re-mortgage, loan, credit card i held with them over time assuming my name .d.o.b and previous address would trigger a hit. They came back on both occasions with a negative and the excuse of the 6 year limit and files destroyed etc. 12 months later a PPI claims company volunteered to have a try with all the financial institutions i had dealt with over the years for any PPI and guess which ONE came up trumps , NRAM !
    So at this stage i was reluctantly i assume offered 5000 for a PPI i had purchased on an unsecured loan as well as a complete breakdown of dates and figures, though not a copy of the original contract which i am still waiting for 10 months later!. Yes i am happy to have had it located and of course i had to pay a 20% finders fee to the claims company. My grievance is if a claims company did not come along and have a try then NRAM would still be sitting on my PPI claim which i had been told could not be located . I wont be the only one so how many more have they denied having and are now collecting interest on ? So if you have ANY reasons to believe that you may have had a PPI with NRAM/Northern Rock from the past ,just save yourself the angst and get a claims company to do it. I dont know what they do any different but me as just a normal bank customer was not able to get NRAM to investigate and they categorically denied any accounts being on their systems. Use a claims company who are reputable and charge less than 25%. The Financial Ombudsman have been contacted and they are a nightmare to work with so dont be fooled by the advice to go through them either. Maybe thats not the same for everyone though !
Page 1
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 9th Aug 18, 5:29 PM
    • 22,311 Posts
    • 11,894 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:29 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:29 PM
    just save yourself the angst and get a claims company to do it.
    Originally posted by KEEPGOING
    No. Just no.
    Use a claims company who are reputable and charge less than 25%
    No. Just no.
    The Financial Ombudsman have been contacted and they are a nightmare to work with so dont be fooled by the advice to go through them either.
    No. Just no.
    Maybe not the same for everyone though
    Indeed.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 9th Aug 18, 5:34 PM
    • 18,990 Posts
    • 20,229 Thanks
    zx81
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:34 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:34 PM
    As the PPI deadline is less than a year away its obvious banks will start to manipulate enquiries to slow down progress for anyone seeking a PPI refund.
    It's obvious they won't. Any complaint received by the deadline needs to be investigated, and your conspiracy theory means that banks will need to pay more out in interest.

I find it hard to believe that banks are deliberately planning to pay out more than they need to.
    • Sunshine-Lovers
    • By Sunshine-Lovers 9th Aug 18, 5:42 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Sunshine-Lovers
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:42 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:42 PM
    Coincidental the OP has 1st post extolling virtues of a claims company, or maybe I'm a cynic?
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 9th Aug 18, 5:44 PM
    • 95,312 Posts
    • 62,910 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:44 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:44 PM
    As the PPI deadline is less than a year away its obvious banks will start to manipulate enquiries to slow down progress for anyone seeking a PPI refund.
    please explain how that would work as it doesn't make sense. The deadline is the date the complaint needs to be received. Not resolved by.

My grievance is if a claims company did not come along and have a try then NRAM would still be sitting on my PPI claim which i had been told could not be located .
    You do realise that the claims company did nothing you could have done. A number of banks have gone back over archived data and brought it back online. So, that is likely what has happened here. i.e. it wasnt on the system when you asked but now is. You could have asked for a recheck yourself.

just save yourself the angst and get a claims company to do it
    No, that would be daft. Do it yourself for free.

I dont know what they do any different
    Absolutely nothing different.

The Financial Ombudsman have been contacted and they are a nightmare to work with so dont be fooled by the advice to go through them either.
    You have no choice but to use the FOS if your complaint is rejected and you disagree. However, you get no access to the FOS until your complaint outcome is given. So, not sure how you would have involved them. Perhaps the fact you didnt need to was the problem in your case.

Maybe thats not the same for everyone though !
    its not.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Sunshine-Lovers
    • By Sunshine-Lovers 9th Aug 18, 5:46 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Sunshine-Lovers
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:46 PM
    And yes, just joined myself, just lurking until I saw this!!!55357;!!!56847;
    • zx81
    • By zx81 9th Aug 18, 5:46 PM
    • 18,990 Posts
    • 20,229 Thanks
    zx81
    Coincidental the OP has 1st post extolling virtues of a claims company, or maybe I'm a cynic?
    Originally posted by Sunshine-Lovers
    Certainly the poor use of spelling and punctuation suggests he may have attained the required skills to work for a claims company.
    • KEEPGOING
    • By KEEPGOING 9th Aug 18, 6:55 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    KEEPGOING
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:55 PM
    Just wow
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:55 PM
    Really??
    Spelling mistakes, punctuation, and i am also a mystery shopper for a claims management company??
    I only decided to start a thread thinking i could help people who have experienced the same as i had in 2016!
    Whats with the attitude anyway towards claims companies?
    Not everyone has the time or self confident attitude to be able to deal with finance advisors specially employed to give ppi claimants the run around. The last time i checked claiming ppi was not such a breeze as you are describing it as !
    As for the keep trying to request NRAM to look into my mysteriously missing accounts, surely two letters and two telephone calls is enough, bar me actually making the trip to Durham and searching through their computer system how do you propose i track down my account ?? Any amazing ideas will be appreciated !
    • zx81
    • By zx81 9th Aug 18, 7:01 PM
    • 18,990 Posts
    • 20,229 Thanks
    zx81
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:01 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:01 PM
    as for the keep trying to request nram to look into my mysteriously missing accounts, surely two letters and two telephone calls is enough, bar me actually making the trip to durham and searching through their computer system how do you propose i track down my account ?? Any amazing ideas will be appreciated !
    Originally posted by keepgoing
    A SAR.

Just like your claims company did.

If you have the time to deal with a CMC, you definitely have the time to deal direct.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 9th Aug 18, 7:51 PM
    • 22,311 Posts
    • 11,894 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Not everyone has the time or self confident attitude to be able to deal with finance advisors specially employed to give ppi claimants the run around.
    Finance advisors don't deal with PPI complaints.
    The last time i checked claiming ppi was not such a breeze as you are describing it as
    As you said yourself;
    Maybe not the same for everyone though
    Indeed.
    • KEEPGOING
    • By KEEPGOING 9th Aug 18, 8:29 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    KEEPGOING
    I imagine I will be warned off by other forum users who have had the misfortune to deal with you two happy souls but i would like to state I am not such a dimwit as you are making out, my original request for a ppi investigation also included 10 fee for an S.A.R. This was returned to me as NRAM made the decision not to look any further than the Ipad i suspect....
    I apologise for not doing the same job as the claims company but its difficult to gain information after being told that after 6 years the account is always deleted.
    As for the "Financial advisor" what other title would you like to give the advisor ? You dont have any relatives who work for Northern Rock/NRAM by any chance do you ? You seem rather pre-occupied with defending the banks and dismantling claims companies work
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 9th Aug 18, 8:40 PM
    • 95,312 Posts
    • 62,910 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Not everyone has the time or self confident attitude to be able to deal with finance advisors specially employed to give ppi claimants the run around.
    What an earth have financial advisers got to do with it? They have as much in common with PPI complaints as a Teacher.

As for the "Financial advisor" what other title would you like to give the advisor ?
    Financial adviser is a protected title that is regulated by the FCA. Anyone using that title without the qualifications and FCA authorisations is acting fraudulently.

You dont have any relatives who work for Northern Rock/NRAM by any chance do you ? You seem rather pre-occupied with defending the banks and dismantling claims companies work
    I think you will find a better home in the Daily Express comments pages.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 9th Aug 18, 8:48 PM
    • 18,990 Posts
    • 20,229 Thanks
    zx81
    I imagine I will be warned off by other forum users who have had the misfortune to deal with you two happy souls
    If they do, I imagine they would also need to work for CMCs.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

147Posts Today

1,747Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Lovely package on #newsnight just now about Brexit hitchhiking, livened up what has been not the most exciting show.

• Is this is a serious tweet or a joke? Why did I mention he was a cyclist - because he was a cyclist. Eh? https://t.co/F1SP7UJZkH

• How awful Mark. This is why those people who take risks on the road, have to realise while they think they're gamb? https://t.co/berU23vQOU

• Follow Martin