Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mikefox
    • By mikefox 9th Aug 18, 4:49 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    mikefox
    Report to new insurers?
    • 9th Aug 18, 4:49 PM
    Report to new insurers? 9th Aug 18 at 4:49 PM
    Should I report to new insurers? - A year or so ago i had a small accident, a tiny bump - barely a touch. the person in a little old hatchback who I tapped into was irate and called me 'arsey' which i wasn't - I just wanted to confirm no damage and then be away, as i was late for work. She subsequently reported the accident and photos came via my insurers for damage in an area in my view, I couldn't have knocked! My Insurers said they were satisfied. I couldn't change their minds. I felt she was at it - she had a courtesy car for 10 weeks for a tiny boot repair. I looked on some websites and some are laughing at people if you report something like this to new insurers. Would any claim be invalidated? are they joined up? I had protected no claims... My insurance policy will go right up if i report it - some other sites I have seen that people laugh if you report these kind of claims
    Last edited by mikefox; 09-08-2018 at 4:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 9th Aug 18, 4:57 PM
    • 37,988 Posts
    • 22,099 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 9th Aug 18, 4:57 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 4:57 PM
    Those sites are giving dangerous and ill informed advice

Your claim will be on the shared database and come to light if you (fraudulently!) make an application and state you have not made any claims

Giving your insurer the opportunity to void your policy and reject any claim

A third party claim against you would be dealt with but the insurer would then come to you to reimburse them

Think bankruptcy were you to seriously injure someone
    • marlot
    • By marlot 9th Aug 18, 7:03 PM
    • 3,723 Posts
    • 2,852 Thanks
    marlot
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:03 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:03 PM
    Google the CUE database
    • force ten
    • By force ten 9th Aug 18, 9:33 PM
    • 1,720 Posts
    • 1,153 Thanks
    force ten
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:33 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:33 PM
    yes you should definitely report it to your new insurance company because if found out then they could cancel your policy and that will be with you for life and will always have to be declared and could affect your ability to get insurance in the future

a couple of years ago i declared a hit and run accident as not at fault but because my insurer did not recover 100% of the claim they had to pay some of the cost so it was on the CUE database as an at fault claim and they came after me for making a false declaration on an insurance quote

just be very careful what you tell your new insurance provider
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 10th Aug 18, 1:57 AM
    • 3,779 Posts
    • 3,307 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:57 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:57 AM
    Are you actually considering not telling insurers about a claim?
    Go for it - let us know how it goes.

For the record, it'll go like this - new insurers will find out, cancel your policy, then you have to declare you've had a policy cancelled FOR LIFE and you'll pay higher insurance on everything (not just car insurance).
    Oh, and you'll still have to tell them about the claim, which will put it up even more.

Or you know... tell the truth
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 10th Aug 18, 7:29 AM
    • 2,463 Posts
    • 3,280 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 10th Aug 18, 7:29 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 7:29 AM
    Why would anonymous people on forums laughing at you deter you from taking the correct and safe option?

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

274Posts Today

1,375Users online

Martin's Twitter