PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

unadopted road and maintenance scheme

Hi All

I am in the process of buying our next home and its moving very fast.

Has been very stressful as we expected, but as we're buying from a part exchange hub on behalf of a developer it seems to have been harder work from the get go with demand after demand and they seem extremely reluctant to meet any of our requests. But we want this house particularly, as its in a really nice position, so we've done the necessary.

So we're expecting to exchange any day as our buyers were looking for Aug 17th or 24th to complete. The buyer is a teacher, so I understand she wants to move as soon as. Suits us fine providing enquiries are all dealt with.....which it appears they are not.

It has come to light via solicitors searches a couple of days ago that the house, which is on a relatively new build estate is on an unadopted road. This has a maintenance scheme which we pay to a company and also we've just been informed after asking the solicitor who is responsible for the little green which fronts the house that we also pay a yearly maintenance for the estate upkeep.

I don't mind having to pay either of these as the estate is beautiful and looks well kept, however I'm upset that it has taken up until a week before exchange to hear of this.

At what point would a buyer be informed about such things?
My son recently went to a viewing and was told almost immediately that there would be an annual fee.
We are fairly out of pocket at this stage as you can imagine if we were to walk away, not to mention the wasted time etc...

Do estate agents generally have this information to pass onto interested parties from the beginning? I'm shocked that they never mentioned the road or any of the fees.

Curious if anyone else has experienced a similar lack of transparency from the agent.
Thanks

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    This is pretty normal for modern estates, so more likely that everyone else regards it as run of the mill stuff rather than something which needs to be highlighted as out of the ordinary. I doubt anyone has been trying to mislead you (unless they've actually given you contrary information, but I'm guessing they haven't and that you haven't bothered asking the question either?). Nothing to get upset about anyway.
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    This is nothing to do with the EA, they may or may not have known about it and in either case you can't rely on their information being accurate (and they have disclaimers to this effect).

The person who checks all of these things for you is your solicitor, who seems to be on the case.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure