Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gleeface
    • By Gleeface 9th Aug 18, 3:57 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Gleeface
    Help with shared parental leave
    • 9th Aug 18, 3:57 PM
    Help with shared parental leave 9th Aug 18 at 3:57 PM
    Hello, I've searched far and wide but can't find answers to a couple of questions I have about shared parental leave. Hope somebody here can help!

I work 4 on 4 off, so when it says "# of weeks" does it literally mean calendar weeks no matter your shift pattern?

If my other half isn't returning to work after her maternity leave ends, would that cause any issues?

Thanks
Page 1
    • dalo
    • By dalo 9th Aug 18, 6:47 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    dalo
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:47 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:47 PM
    SMP is usually weekly based on a 7 day week. Does your partner get statutory pay or is the pay enhanced? I donít think it will be a problem as long as she gives notice.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 9th Aug 18, 8:06 PM
    • 5,704 Posts
    • 9,943 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 9th Aug 18, 8:06 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 8:06 PM
    The question wasn't about SMP.

The answer is easy. It has nothing to do with your shifts or working patterns - entitlement is based on calendar weeks. So it's not about the shifts you work or how you work them - all entitlement would need to be taken in "real weeks". That's why you can't find anything- because there's nothing to find :-)
    • Gleeface
    • By Gleeface 9th Aug 18, 8:25 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gleeface
    • 9th Aug 18, 8:25 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 8:25 PM
    Thanks sangie, in reality I think I already knew that was the answer but just wanted clarification.
    Any insight on my other worry? Similar sort of situation? Can't find anything because there's nothing to find?
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 9th Aug 18, 8:33 PM
    • 5,704 Posts
    • 9,943 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 9th Aug 18, 8:33 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 8:33 PM
    Thanks sangie, in reality I think I already knew that was the answer but just wanted clarification.
    Any insight on my other worry? Similar sort of situation? Can't find anything because there's nothing to find?
    Originally posted by Gleeface
    SPL isn't something I get asked about often, so I'm a bit hazy on it. I believe that you can start it whilst she's still on maternity leave, but she must have given notice to return to work - and she must return.

This might help https://sharedparentalleave.campaign.gov.uk/
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 9th Aug 18, 9:55 PM
    • 5,439 Posts
    • 6,756 Thanks
    theoretica
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:55 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:55 PM
    One of my male colleagues has been off on shared parental leave where the mother is not returning to work. Anecdotal, but implies it should be possible.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 9th Aug 18, 10:44 PM
    • 5,704 Posts
    • 9,943 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:44 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:44 PM
    I'm happy to be corrected on this - as I said it isn't my forte. We tend to have better than statutory terms, so I'm more familiar with those variations, and can't be certain what the basic entitlement is without looking it up myself!
    • Gleeface
    • By Gleeface 10th Aug 18, 6:05 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gleeface
    • 10th Aug 18, 6:05 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 6:05 AM
    Thank you again, both. Did some more digging last night and it does appear that her not returning to work doesn't make a difference.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

441Posts Today

3,007Users online

Martin's Twitter